Should we update the constitution?

A new Constitutional Convention would be the worst thing that could possibly happen to this country.
I don't think anything should necessarily be changed. Perhaps declaring the US to be a Christian country. Banning gay marriage. Making English the official language. Make flag burning a crime.

But in the end...a Constitutional Convention would cause more uproar than anything. Could you imagine a media blackout while Nancy Pelosi and her ilk try to take away guns and free speech? Or Ted Cruz trying to turn the US into canada?

Congress doesn't sit on an Article 5 convention, they just have an obligation to call it and pay for it. Of course they have received collectively more than 600 requests from all 50 states for a convention and have ignored their responsibility so far.

A lot of the laws and rights that were originally included in the constitution were written in colonial America's mindset. We no longer need everyone and there mom, grandmother and 2nd cousin bearing arms. That's what the police/ military is for. I think freedom of speech is a nice thing to have, but we shouldn't have the right to offend people. We need to re write the constitution with today's issues in mind. What do you think?
The problem with a Constitutional Convention is that there are people out there that think like this person.

Any amendment would require ratification by the States and there are enough conservative States to block really stupid shit.
A constitutional convention rewrites the entire Constitution not just an amendment.

A new Constitutional Convention would be the worst thing that could possibly happen to this country.
I don't think anything should necessarily be changed. Perhaps declaring the US to be a Christian country. Banning gay marriage. Making English the official language. Make flag burning a crime.

But in the end...a Constitutional Convention would cause more uproar than anything. Could you imagine a media blackout while Nancy Pelosi and her ilk try to take away guns and free speech? Or Ted Cruz trying to turn the US into canada?

Congress doesn't sit on an Article 5 convention, they just have an obligation to call it and pay for it. Of course they have received collectively more than 600 requests from all 50 states for a convention and have ignored their responsibility so far.
What gunny said.

Because your ilk are destroying this nation.

Are you nuts?

What type is that?

Anti-Christian, godless, moral destroying atheists who think English shouldn't be the national language
Wouldn't atheists be anti most religions and not solely Christians? What "morality" are you referring to? English is Our national language, just turn on the TV and radio, shit look at the language that is being spoken on this forum. :lol:
I wonder how much money we spend on bilinguial material? You wanna become a legal citizen, you learn the language.

Shut up you stupid ignorant motherfucker.

Puerto Rico was invaded in 1898, my ancestors were made US citizens against their will. Congress knew they spoke no English. Shut your pie hole and keep investing in bilingual material.

LOL.

Bullshit, they were invaded long before 1898, PR hasn't been independent since the late 1400's, but hey let's not let facts get in the way of a good story.

And just who would you have rewrite it? My guess is everyone who says rewrite it would only want people who shared their political and social views doing it. I'm betting no one on the left would want a Ted Cruz being a part of the rewrite and no one on the right would want an Elizabeth Warren involved in it.

It's up to the States to chose their delegates.

A lot of the laws and rights that were originally included in the constitution were written in colonial America's mindset. We no longer need everyone and there mom, grandmother and 2nd cousin bearing arms. That's what the police/ military is for. I think freedom of speech is a nice thing to have, but we shouldn't have the right to offend people. We need to re write the constitution with today's issues in mind. What do you think?
The problem with a Constitutional Convention is that there are people out there that think like this person.

Any amendment would require ratification by the States and there are enough conservative States to block really stupid shit.
A constitutional convention rewrites the entire Constitution not just an amendment.

Wrong, read Article 5, it is a process for the States to offer amendments, not rewrite the whole thing. Once again, any proposed amendments would still require ratification.

Wrong, read Article 5, it is a process for the States to offer amendments, not rewrite the whole thing. Once again, any proposed amendments would still require ratification.
A constitutional convention is what can and is used to create an entirely new constitution. The States have other means to submit SINGLE amendments through Congress.

The Constitution provides that an amendment may be proposed either by the Congress with a two-thirds majority vote in both the House of Representatives and the Senate or by a constitutional convention called for by two-thirds of the State legislatures. None of the 27 amendments to the Constitution have been proposed by constitutional convention. The Congress proposes an amendment in the form of a joint resolution. Since the President does not have a constitutional role in the amendment process, the joint resolution does not go to the White House for signature or approval. The original document is forwarded directly to NARA's Office of the Federal Register (OFR) for processing and publication. The OFR adds legislative history notes to the joint resolution and publishes it in slip law format. The OFR also assembles an information package for the States which includes formal "red-line" copies of the joint resolution, copies of the joint resolution in slip law format, and the statutory procedure for ratification under 1 U.S.C. 106b.

Constitutional Amendment Process

A constitutional convention is what can and is used to create an entirely new constitution. The States have other means to submit SINGLE amendments through Congress.

No one is proposing a constitutional convention, they are proposing an Article 5 convention, they are not one in the same.

No one is proposing a constitutional convention, they are proposing an Article 5 convention, they are not one in the same.
Once it's called, no one can control it. The one that wrote our Constitution was a runaway. Roll them dice and let's see what happens.

Once it's called, no one can control it. The one that wrote our Constitution was a runaway. Roll them dice and let's see what happens.

What is it that you fail to understand any proposed changes would have to be ratified by the states. More than half the states have republican legislatures and I think they would provide some balance to any radical changes, and there are enough blue states to stop any radical changes by the republicans. Any changes would require 37 states to ratify them, not an easy task.

It couldn't be improved upon but that's what amendments are for, updates..
That.

If we tried nowadays, we could never get the Bill of Rights or the Habeus Corpus

Its only been a few years since the GOP tried to do away with them using a few John Yoo memos.

:rolleyes:

I think you are the most ignorant person on usmb, ever.

I've been here 5 years, seen over 30k members come and go.

grats

Forum List

Back