Should we penalize smokers and the obese?

Should we penalize smokers and the obese?

I smoke ..and let me tell you...smokers are already penalized.

It's all about a Nanny society....getting nannier and nannier by the second....we are all living in a big Kindergarten . Coffee will be next.

you stink. :laugh2:

anyone who takes up smoking in this day and age is an idiot. How long have you been a slave to tobacco and the secret ingredients?

And who are you to tell me what to do?

No one HERE told you what to do. I smoked for a lot of years and there's one thing I know. Its the cig manufacturers who control you. Not the left or right.

Blame others if you want but there is no one who does not know who really owns you. Stop blaming others. Take responsibility for your own actions.

Having said that,

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a little gadget I use to tell me what the effects of not smoking has been on me since I quit.

Here are the latest figures:
Cigarettes NOT smoked: 176350
Lifetime Saved: 44 months, 27 days, 2 hours
Money Saved: $70,528.00

I penalized myself enough when I did smoke. I did not need any government intervention.

Sounds like a great little gadget. I've kept track the hard way and have made several trips on what I didn't watch go up in smoke.

And, I can run up hills like a youngster!
==========

Sorry folks but I just think I should havve to pay for you guzzling fatty foods, high cal sodas or puffin on your cigs. I don't care if you do it. I just don't want to breathe your shitty "air" and I sure as hell don't want to pay for it.

So, fuck off. :)

So, does this thread illustrate anything to you?

Yes it does.

They typical rw who posts here wants to control who one marries, all facets of women's reproductive rights (while refusing responsibility for the inevitable children born). They want criminals and terrorists and illegals to get free health care that the rest of have to pay for as well as any and all guns and huge capacity ammo clips. They don't want to pay for their own health care, want to be able to get free health care at the emergency room (along with the aforementioned criminals and terrorists and illegals) and they want government to keep their hands off their Medicare/Medicaid/Soc Sec. They want to stuff their faces and pollute their lungs but don't want to pay for the resultant increased health care costs and throw a baby hissy fit if you tell them to exhale in their own home/car but not in mine (or any other place you wanna name).

They say that Obama wants to give "stuff" away but they say that only because its what they were told to say.

Fact is, its the right who wants it all for free, no responsibility for children, no responsibility for people shot dead and no responsibility for their own health care costs. The rw's don't want a nanny state but they demand exactly that.

IOW, its SSDD here at USMB.

Actually, I was referring to the topic of the thread, but the petty, partisan rants are oh so charming. And persuasive.

smoking has clouded your brain. :rofl:

never TOLD you what to do. Now suck on something else besides a cig...that would be telling you what to do.

:the wave:
The 18th Amendment didn't work in the 1920s.
Haven't you learned anything from History?
No one is proposing anything like it. grow up

and stating the fact that "you stink because you smoke" does not make one part of any Anti-Smoking-Nazi brigade. :eek:

I didn't call you personally Anti-Smoking-Nazi Brigade.

and by the way.... there are stinks far worse than cigarette smoke...so

you stink. :laugh2:

anyone who takes up smoking in this day and age is an idiot. How long have you been a slave to tobacco and the secret ingredients?

No one HERE told you what to do. I smoked for a lot of years and there's one thing I know. Its the cig manufacturers who control you. Not the left or right.

Blame others if you want but there is no one who does not know who really owns you. Stop blaming others. Take responsibility for your own actions.

Both, left and right are guilty of this.

Nothing to do with left or right or centre or any of that.

So, does this thread illustrate anything to you? This particular issue is the number one reason I don't want to see government in charge of health care. It creates a strong incentive for state intrusion in our lives. Socializing personal responsibilities subjugates us to the state, making our personal decisions public concerns. With programs like PPACA, how do you prevent such intrusion? Or is the intrusion the goal?

Bullshit. I live in a country with government funded healthcare. The state is far less intrusive in MY life as a Canadian, than your health care system is in yours. ....

Exactly. Canada is not the United States. To your credit, you (Canadians) are less likely to use force to bully your neighbors, and you're less likely to sellout the public interest to corporations.

There is no good reason to smoke, and don't say it's because you want to. I can accept that you can't quit, but you smell bad, and you're going to die 10 years before you should. Do not expect to be able to smoke in public buildings or in other people's homes.

I'm asthmatic and cigarette smoke is a trigger. And yes, you do stink. If you are a non-smoker, kissing a smoker is unpleasant. I quit going to a weekly neighbourhood get together because the hosts were smokers and there was smoking throughout their place. I needed a shower when I got home and my clothes went straight to the laundry.

Fortunately, there are fewer and fewer smokers in the world, so this becoming less and less of a problem. I recently returned to the weekly neighbourhood get together. There is no longer any smoking and I can enjoy these events again.

There is no good reason to smoke, and don't say it's because you want to. I can accept that you can't quit, but you smell bad, and you're going to die 10 years before you should. Do not expect to be able to smoke in public buildings or in other people's homes.

I'm asthmatic and cigarette smoke is a trigger. And yes, you do stink. If you are a non-smoker, kissing a smoker is unpleasant. I quit going to a weekly neighbourhood get together because the hosts were smokers and there was smoking throughout their place. I needed a shower when I got home and my clothes went straight to the laundry.

Fortunately, there are fewer and fewer smokers in the world, so this becoming less and less of a problem. I recently returned to the weekly neighbourhood get together. There is no longer any smoking and I can enjoy these events again.

I respect your opinion ...I have mine.

I do not want a Nanny State telling me what to do or what not to do.

That's all there is to it.

Some of the same people that bemoan smoking and the OBese health care costs are some of the same people that want to legalize weed. Now tell me how weed smoke is any better than cigarette smoke.
Theres too much phony indignation as far as im concerned.

You do know the medical benefits it can have for don't don't you?

Do penalties for smokers and the obese make sense?

... Annual health care costs are roughly $96 billion for smokers and $147 billion for the obese, the government says. These costs accompany sometimes heroic attempts to prolong lives, including surgery, chemotherapy and other measures.

But despite these rescue attempts, smokers tend to die 10 years earlier on average, and the obese die five to 12 years prematurely, according to various researchers' estimates...

Some have said they don't like the ACA because they can no longer get their health care for free. Should the rest of us have to pay for smoker's and the obese higher health care costs? If not, how do we make them responsible for their own higher health care costs? Or, does their right to smoke and be fat negate our right to not have to pay those extra costs.

And, yes, the extra costs do fall to the entire society to pay.

Instead of worrying about women's health insurance paying for birth control, maybe its time we forced smokers and the obese to pay higher premiums.

Life insurance industry has a ratings system that could be used
smokers pay a lot more
pounds per height and sex add more
plus if you already have a chronic illness that also adds in

or

We could just get rid of obama care and go back to what worked

Sorry folks but it ain't none of your business if someone smokes, eats too much, drinks, or does drugs.

Mind your own fucking business will ya?

Then you pay for them. I mean seriously, if you died from cancer from smoking, I could care less unless my medical goes up because so many have cancer from smoking. Get it?

Last edited:

... Annual health care costs are roughly $96 billion for smokers and $147 billion for the obese, the government says. These costs accompany sometimes heroic attempts to prolong lives, including surgery, chemotherapy and other measures.

But despite these rescue attempts, smokers tend to die 10 years earlier on average, and the obese die five to 12 years prematurely, according to various researchers' estimates...

Some have said they don't like the ACA because they can no longer get their health care for free. Should the rest of us have to pay for smoker's and the obese higher health care costs? If not, how do we make them responsible for their own higher health care costs? Or, does their right to smoke and be fat negate our right to not have to pay those extra costs.

Instead of worrying about women's health insurance paying for birth control, maybe its time we forced smokers and the obese to pay higher premiums.

Higher premiums for those people who admit to being smokers, and higher premiums for those who weigh over a certain amount.
They will not want to pay more for their insurance.

A better idea would be to just deny them any medical care at all, because they don't deserve it anyway.

Higher premiums for those people who admit to being smokers, and higher premiums for those who weigh over a certain amount.
They will not want to pay more for their insurance.

A better idea would be to just deny them any medical care at all, because they don't deserve it anyway.

Fuck. Just shoot 'em.

Sorry folks but it ain't none of your business if someone smokes, eats too much, drinks, or does drugs.

Actually, it is. I don't want to be paying more taxes to cover the costs of these filthy smokers, or the fat heifers who can't stop feeding their faces. Why should my taxes have to pay for their medical treatment?

They should only be entitled to free medical treatment up to the amount of tax they have paid in their life time. If they have paid $10,000 tax in their lifetime, that's $10,000 of medical treatment they get for free, and the rest they have to cough up for.

That'll fix em.

No, actually that's NOT all there is to it. Nor is the "nanny state" telling you not to smoke. Others have said it but I'll say it again - Smoke and eat all you want but pay your own frickin bills.

We could just get rid of obama care and go back to what worked

Really? You mean that insurance companies controlling who gets treatment. Maybe the rw's don't know that your precious free treatment via EMTALA is actually only stabilization and the advice to see your own doctor. You may think you're getting free treatment but you're really not.

awesome, liberals want to use obamacare to rid us of that pesky right to privacy thing

Yeah, like no insurance company ever asked if you smoke and they never ever weigh you. Stop trying to blame ACA for things that have been much worse in the past.

Actually, it is. I don't want to be paying more taxes to cover the costs of these filthy smokers, or the fat heifers who can't stop feeding their faces. Why should my taxes have to pay for their medical treatment?

They should only be entitled to free medical treatment up to the amount of tax they have paid in their life time. If they have paid $10,000 tax in their lifetime, that's $10,000 of medical treatment they get for free, and the rest they have to cough up for.

That'll fix em.

Or, like auto insurance, let them show they have $X.00 in the bank and that's the amount of medical care they can have.

No, actually that's NOT all there is to it. Nor is the "nanny state" telling you not to smoke. Others have said it but I'll say it again - Smoke and eat all you want but pay your own frickin bills.

And who is saying the contrary???????????????? ...............WHO????????????

I pay for any possible "frickin bill" of mine

I do not belong to the party who gives entitlements and freebies!!!!!!!

I PAY FOR MY FRICKIN BLOODY BILL!

Forum List

Back