Should the Lion killer be extradited?

Should US extradite the alledged Lion killer?

• Yes

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • No

Votes: 10 55.6%

• Total voters
Yes, Cecil's killer should be extradited. There is an extradition treaty between Zimbabwe and the U.S. - plus, what Palmer did in Zimbabwe is just as illegal here in the U.S. In addition, Walter Palmer may also be guilty of more crimes than poaching.

A bilateral extradition treaty between the U.S. and Zimbabwe has been in effect since April 2000. The treaty applies to anyone charged with or convicted of "an extraditable offense," which is defined as "one punishable under the laws of both Contracting States by deprivation of liberty for a period of more than one year or by a more severe penalty."

The idea of being punishable in both countries is called "dual criminality" -- or, in plain language, means that what Palmer did in Zimbabwe would also have to be illegal in the United States, explains Jens David Ohlin, a Cornell law professor who is an expert in international and criminal law. Ohlin thinks that rule "seems pretty easily satisfiable" in this case.

Freyfogle added that Palmer's alleged conduct could subject him to a number of other federal and state criminal provisions, among them animal cruelty laws and the Lacey Act, which "makes it a federal crime to 'purchase in interstate or foreign commerce' any wildlife taken in violation of any foreign law."

Slate points out that Palmer might also have violated U.S. anti-bribery laws.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service said in a statement on Wednesday that the agency "is deeply concerned about the recent killing of Cecil the lion. We are currently gathering facts about the issue and will assist Zimbabwe officials in whatever manner requested."

For his part, Palmer -- who was fined $3,000 and given a year of probation after pleading guilty to illegally killing a black bear outside a permitted zone in 2006 -- said in a statement on Tuesday that he "had no idea that the lion I took was a known, local favorite."

More: Dentist Who Killed Cecil The Lion Could Be Extradited To Zimbabwe

Last edited:
Fuck no!
For all we know he paid hunting guides to lead him to a lion. How the fuck should have he known it was from a fucking wildlife preserve? It was outside the preserve. You bleeding heart fuckers convict people always before we know anything specific. He broke no laws as far as we know, since he was OUTSIDE the preserve.
There's a very good chance he broke Americans laws as well, again.
Broke American Laws governing Zimbabwe? Cool… you freaking imperialist.. now you want to rule African countries too???
American laws governing Americans, like Sex Tourism laws which make that illegal for an American regardless of what the laws in another nation are.

"Specifically, the Lacey Act makes it illegal "to import, export, transport, sell, receive, acquire, or purchase in interstate or foreign commerce ... any fish or wildlife taken, possessed, transported, or sold in violation of any law or regulation of any State or in violation of any foreign law."

While the Lacey Act primarily aims to prevent protected species from being imported into the US, wildlife expert Eric Freyfogle told me that Palmer could be prosecuted regardless of whether the remains of Cecil were imported.

"It is enough, to satisfy the 'purchase' requirement, that he hire guides, outfitters or other local services or purchase a hunting license of permit and that this happen in 'interstate commerce' (meaning simply that he crossed national borders or communicated across national borders)," Freyfogle said."
Read more: Did Walter Palmer break any US law - Business Insider
We do not know if he broke any laws!!!

Fuck no!
For all we know he paid hunting guides to lead him to a lion. How the fuck should have he known it was from a fucking wildlife preserve? It was outside the preserve. You bleeding heart fuckers convict people always before we know anything specific. He broke no laws as far as we know, since he was OUTSIDE the preserve.
There's a very good chance he broke Americans laws as well, again.
Broke American Laws governing Zimbabwe? Cool… you freaking imperialist.. now you want to rule African countries too???
American laws governing Americans, like Sex Tourism laws which make that illegal for an American regardless of what the laws in another nation are.

"Specifically, the Lacey Act makes it illegal "to import, export, transport, sell, receive, acquire, or purchase in interstate or foreign commerce ... any fish or wildlife taken, possessed, transported, or sold in violation of any law or regulation of any State or in violation of any foreign law."

While the Lacey Act primarily aims to prevent protected species from being imported into the US, wildlife expert Eric Freyfogle told me that Palmer could be prosecuted regardless of whether the remains of Cecil were imported.

"It is enough, to satisfy the 'purchase' requirement, that he hire guides, outfitters or other local services or purchase a hunting license of permit and that this happen in 'interstate commerce' (meaning simply that he crossed national borders or communicated across national borders)," Freyfogle said."
Read more: Did Walter Palmer break any US law - Business Insider
We do not know if he broke any laws!!!
Nope, but that's why they'd like to talk to him, here and there eh?

I know that there are active topics on this. Posting a poll on what people think.

Now that Cecil (The Lion's) brother is also killed calls for extradition is strengthening. Appreciate the participation in the poll

Can Zimbabwe have lion s killer extradited - CNN.com

Cecil the lion s brother Jericho killed illegally - CNN.com
As cruel as rthe act of killing this lion may be, no US Citizen should be compelled to answer the demands of a foreign jurisdiction for a non capital offense.
Killing an animal is does not apply....

U.S. frequently refuses extradition.

Oh but Obama won't. IF he can embarrasses us in front of the whole world, HE WILL
you think he'd stand up for the people he supposedly Represents. maybe if the dentist had skin that was black, then he might bother

I know that there are active topics on this. Posting a poll on what people think.

Now that Cecil (The Lion's) brother is also killed calls for extradition is strengthening. Appreciate the participation in the poll

As cruel as rthe act of killing this lion may be, no US Citizen should be compelled to answer the demands of a foreign jurisdiction for a non capital offense.
You must really mad about us turning US soldiers over to the Japanese for raping their women then, and we do.

No we should not send American citizens to 3rd world dictatorships to rot in their cells. But this dentist certainly should not be allowed to keep the body of the lion as a trophy, and he deserves the outrage he's received.
Not very Law and Order of you. Don't other nation deserve the chance to enforce their laws as well, or is that only true in America?
Not when the chances of this person's Constitutional rights being violated are highly likely.

I say yes. Extradite the sumbitch.
Why?
Maybe because he broke their laws. Do you want people to get away with crimes just because they did it somewhere else and then ran home before being caught?

No we should not send American citizens to 3rd world dictatorships to rot in their cells. But this dentist certainly should not be allowed to keep the body of the lion as a trophy, and he deserves the outrage he's received.
Not very Law and Order of you. Don't other nation deserve the chance to enforce their laws as well, or is that only true in America?
Not when the chances of this person's Constitutional rights being violated are highly likely.
You don't have Constitutional rights anywhere but here. You might have Human Rights but I very much doubt you believe in those.

Did we extradite Amanda Knox back to Italy, who, at the least, was an accessory to slitting the throat of her British friend in a sex/drug fueled threesome?
So, to answer the question..........:haha:.
She wasn't. And the second trial was an emotional railroad job....
That trial was conducted in absentia. The defense was not represented. Kangaroo court.

Who really cares? I surely dont. I like to hunt. However I use humane ways unlike this coward who used a wee little bow and arrow to wound the animal. How about a rifle? I am twice the man he will ever dream of being. As for PP, I dont care about that either. If they shut down, so be it. If they keep going, so be it. And I am a practicing Christian, all my 77 years of life. This is a non issue. He should feel awful for being such a poor hunter and shot and needing a guide to make a kill. He should stay out of the woods as he is a rookie at best.

You must really mad about us turning US soldiers over to the Japanese for raping their women then, and we do.
Rape is a capital crime.
Try again

Rape is a capital crime.
Try again
Do point that out for us eh? 41 Federal Capital Offenses - Death Penalty - ProCon.org

And nope, rape is not on the list...

Who really cares? I surely dont. I like to hunt. However I use humane ways unlike this coward who used a wee little bow and arrow to wound the animal. How about a rifle? I am twice the man he will ever dream of being. As for PP, I dont care about that either. If they shut down, so be it. If they keep going, so be it. And I am a practicing Christian, all my 77 years of life. This is a non issue. He should feel awful for being such a poor hunter and shot and needing a guide to make a kill. He should stay out of the woods as he is a rookie at best.

ok well, pin a medal on your chest. big game hunting has been around longer than some of you have with your whining. so who cares how you hunt. It's none of your all's business how other hunt, even if he was breaking some law. that on him to DEAL WITH.

Forum List

Back