Debate Now Should the Government Dictate What Is and Is Not Healthy?

Other than protecting us from dangerous toxins and contaminants, the government:

• 1. should have total power to dictate what is and is not healthy for us to consume.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. should have a lot of power to dictate what is and is not healthy for us to consume in most

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3. should have some power to dictate what is and is not healthy for us to consume

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • 4. should have no power to dictate what is and is not healthy for us to consume.

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • 5. Other and I'll explain in my post.

Votes: 6 54.5%

• Total voters
GM certainly showed us the meaning of "corporate responsibility" when they produced the Corvair for several years. Of course, Ford did the same with their Pinto which tended to blow up in flames when hit from the rear. Well, after all, it was the consumer's fault for not asking if it would do that. Now, I know better, and always ask the dealer if the car I am buying tends to explode when hit. I am sure that he would tell me the truth, even if the government did not force him to.

You do realize that the government fought Ralph Nader equally as much as the big 3.
The government didn't change car safety...until they were forced to.

In my experience, government "nutritional" advice is a good guide for what NOT to do. The FDA "Food pyramid" is one of the reasons we have so many fat slobs in this country. They've demonized fat and protein in favor of processed carbohydrates.

It's the height of stupidity. If you want severe inflammation and a morbidly obese body, just follow the "food pyramid".

USDA_Food_Pyramid.gif

So no, I don't need a morbidly obese government clerk in stretch pants telling me what to eat.

PS- I don't ask retarded people for directions either.....
That is not the latest food pyramid.

I know. That's the one they used for 50 years- ya know that time in US history where our population became fatter and fatter.

Here is the the newest Food Pyramid

diet_042005.gif

is a little better, but still designed for retards......

It isn't much better when such a huge chunk is designated as grains and half of those can be processed grains.

And look at the government recommendation that the other largest category be dairy and that the milk consumed be low fat or skim milk.

But that is up against this:

. . .1. Low-fat foods do not lower calorie consumption: Low-fat versions are supposed to reduce the amount of calories that people eat, and in an absolute sense, they do. A cup of low-fat milk contains fewer calories than a cup of whole milk. But Ludwig and Willett note that there isn’t much evidence to support the idea that drinking lower-calorie beverages in general leads to lower-calorie intake. Reduced-fat foods and drinks may not be as filling, so consumers may end up compensating for the lack of calories and eating or drinking more. In a study published in the Archives of Disease in Childhood in March, scientists found that kids who drank lower-fat milks were actually more likely to be overweight later on.

“Our original hypothesis was that children who drank high-fat milk, either whole milk or 2% would be heavier because they were consuming more saturated-fat calories. We were really surprised when we looked at the data and it was very clear that within every ethnicity and every socioeconomic strata, that it was actually the opposite, that children who drank skim milk and 1% were heavier than those who drank 2% and whole,” study author Dr. Mark Daniel DeBoer, an associate professor of pediatric endocrinology at the University of Virginia School of Medicine and the chair-elect for the AAP Committee on Nutrition, told TIME in March.. . .

Skim Milk Is Healthier Than Whole Milk Right Maybe Not TIME.com

Government has not demonstrated competence or credibility in dictating to anybody what is and is not healthy.

Exactly. Vegetable oils are the worst too. The best oils are : Coconut. Avocado, and Olive oil. Corn, vegetable, and canola oil are garbage.

:thup:

I have always wondered too about the generation before me who grew up eating lots and lots of eggs, bacon, fried salt pork, and sausage for breakfast almost every morning of the world, lots of fried fish and friend chicken fried and lard (which makes the best fried fish and chicken in the world) all complimented with lots of mashed potatoes and gravy plus veggies from the garden. Homemade bread served up with their own churned butter. There were cakes and pies for desserts at supper time, a cookie and whole milk, often unpasteurized and unhomogenized after school. Folks canned their garden produce to get them through the winter, but otherwise processed foods were pretty nonexistent.

And I don't remember ANY of them being fat. Most lived to a ripe old age and were active and productive late into life.

I don't think you do kids any favors feeding them meager food they hate for lunch that almost certainly contributes to binge eating bad foods just as soon as they get home.

And I would sure rather my kid snack on that nutrition bar than really bad snacks, but I guess the government is discouraging that too.

Last edited:
In my experience, government "nutritional" advice is a good guide for what NOT to do. The FDA "Food pyramid" is one of the reasons we have so many fat slobs in this country. They've demonized fat and protein in favor of processed carbohydrates.

It's the height of stupidity. If you want severe inflammation and a morbidly obese body, just follow the "food pyramid".

USDA_Food_Pyramid.gif

So no, I don't need a morbidly obese government clerk in stretch pants telling me what to eat.

I know. That's the one they used for 50 years- ya know that time in US history where our population became fatter and fatter.

diet_042005.gif

It isn't much better when such a huge chunk is designated as grains and half of those can be processed grains.

And look at the government recommendation that the other largest category be dairy and that the milk consumed be low fat or skim milk.

. . .1. Low-fat foods do not lower calorie consumption: Low-fat versions are supposed to reduce the amount of calories that people eat, and in an absolute sense, they do. A cup of low-fat milk contains fewer calories than a cup of whole milk. But Ludwig and Willett note that there isn’t much evidence to support the idea that drinking lower-calorie beverages in general leads to lower-calorie intake. Reduced-fat foods and drinks may not be as filling, so consumers may end up compensating for the lack of calories and eating or drinking more. In a study published in the Archives of Disease in Childhood in March, scientists found that kids who drank lower-fat milks were actually more likely to be overweight later on.

“Our original hypothesis was that children who drank high-fat milk, either whole milk or 2% would be heavier because they were consuming more saturated-fat calories. We were really surprised when we looked at the data and it was very clear that within every ethnicity and every socioeconomic strata, that it was actually the opposite, that children who drank skim milk and 1% were heavier than those who drank 2% and whole,” study author Dr. Mark Daniel DeBoer, an associate professor of pediatric endocrinology at the University of Virginia School of Medicine and the chair-elect for the AAP Committee on Nutrition, told TIME in March.. . .

Government has not demonstrated competence or credibility in dictating to anybody what is and is not healthy.

Exactly. Vegetable oils are the worst too. The best oils are : Coconut. Avocado, and Olive oil. Corn, vegetable, and canola oil are garbage.

I have always wondered too about the generation before me who grew up eating lots and lots of eggs, bacon, fried salt pork, and sausage for breakfast almost every morning of the world, lots of fried fish and fried chicken fried all fried in lard (which makes the best fried fish and chicken in the world) all complimented with lots of mashed potatoes and gravy plus veggies from the garden. Homemade bread served up with their own churned butter. There were cakes and pies for desserts at supper time, a cookie and whole milk, often unpasteurized and unhomogenized after school. Folks canned their garden produce to get them through the winter, but otherwise processed foods were pretty nonexistent.

And I don't remember ANY of them being fat. Most lived to a ripe old age and were active and productive late into life.

I don't think you do kids any favors feeding them meager food they hate for lunch that almost certainly contributes to binge eating bad foods just as soon as they get home.

And I would sure rather my kid snack on that nutrition bar than really bad snacks, but I guess the government is discouraging that too.

I agree. .The obesity epidemic seems to coincide to the time when people started cutting fat from their diets. Fat free donuts!! Fat free Yogurt!! Fat free cookies!!! It's healthy because it's "FAT FREE"!!! Yippee!!!

I remember the book "Fit or Fat". It was all the rage in the 90's. The basic premise was - If you eat fat, you get fat. It also pimped "aerobic" exercise over strength training. wrong on both counts!!
:cuckoo:

The truth is that if you eat the natural fat in your food, you get satisfied. Then you eat less food.

If you do regular strength training with weights, you increase your lean muscle mass. That in turn increases your base metabolism because muscle requires more calories than fat.

diet_042005.gif

I have always wondered too about the generation before me who grew up eating lots and lots of eggs, bacon, fried salt pork, and sausage for breakfast almost every morning of the world, lots of fried fish and friend chicken fried and lard (which makes the best fried fish and chicken in the world) all complimented with lots of mashed potatoes and gravy plus veggies from the garden. Homemade bread served up with their own churned butter. There were cakes and pies for desserts at supper time, a cookie and whole milk, often unpasteurized and unhomogenized after school. Folks canned their garden produce to get them through the winter, but otherwise processed foods were pretty nonexistent.

Yep. Sugar is the major cause of obesity and diabetes.

I agree. .The obesity epidemic seems to coincide to the time when people started cutting fat from their diets. Fat free donuts!! Fat free Yogurt!! Fat free cookies!!! It's healthy because it's "FAT FREE"!!! Yippee!!!

BINGO!!!!
Fats are expensive.
Sugar is dirt cheap, well actually it is cheaper than dirt...literally.
The food industry removed fats because they are "baaad" for you...but gee...food taste like rope without fat. WHat do we do?? Hey...let's just add sugar and sodium...problem solved!!
But wait...sugar is expensive!! What do we do??
Let's ask the government!!
WOW!! - you will just give us almost $10,000,000,000 a year for FREE if we replace fats with corn sugar??????
YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

[Waves flag].. Our government is so great!!

BINGO!!!!
Fats are expensive.
Sugar is dirt cheap, well actually it is cheaper than dirt...literally.
The food industry removed fats because they are "baaad" for you...but gee...food taste like rope without fat. WHat do we do?? Hey...let's just add sugar and sodium...problem solved!!
But wait...sugar is expensive!! What do we do??
Let's ask the government!!
WOW!! - you will just give us almost $10,000,000,000 a year for FREE if we replace fats with corn sugar??????
YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

[Waves flag].. Our government is so great!!

And by golly we ought to believe everything it tells us about nutrition and what is and is not healthy too. :)

This guy followed the "Food pyramid" that FDA government shills in cahoots with the food industry skillfully pimped for the last 50 years......He's the picture of health ain't he? :lol:

900-Pound-Man.jpg

IMHO, Humans INSTINCTIVELY know healthy food is. You already know that eating a half gallon of ice cream or a whole bag of cheetos is not good for you!! Well, unless you're a retard. In which case, I won't be asking your for directions! :lol:

I enjoy eating a slice of pie now and then, or a serving of ice cream. I love a slice of pizza with a nice cold beer too! But I do it in moderation because I value the long term feeling of being trim and fit, more than the temporary feeling that over-eating or eating fast food provides. That bears repeating- so reread it fatso!

Bottom line: If it has a label -l it's probably not very good for you. Make your own meals. Eat lots of veggies, fresh fruits, lean cuts of meat, and good fats. Educate yourself on nutrition. Get off your ass and do some sort of exercise everyday. Lift heavy things, do work. Stop being a lethargic latte drinking excuse maker and get out and MOVE!! If you do have to eat out- have a salad once in a while. Have some fucking discipline you loser!!

Do you really need the government to tell you that? If so, I won't be asking you for directions!

You need to diet

USDA_Food_Pyramid.gif

diet_042005.gif

If fifty years ago was in the nineties. What is the benefit of lying?

USDA_Food_Pyramid.gif

diet_042005.gif

I have always wondered too about the generation before me who grew up eating lots and lots of eggs, bacon, fried salt pork, and sausage for breakfast almost every morning of the world, lots of fried fish and fried chicken fried all fried in lard (which makes the best fried fish and chicken in the world) all complimented with lots of mashed potatoes and gravy plus veggies from the garden. Homemade bread served up with their own churned butter. There were cakes and pies for desserts at supper time, a cookie and whole milk, often unpasteurized and unhomogenized after school. Folks canned their garden produce to get them through the winter, but otherwise processed foods were pretty nonexistent.

They also didn't exercise by posting on message boards.

diet_042005.gif

No they didn't. Which is why I posted earlier that if the government wanted to really fight obesity in children, it should be pushing and pushing and pushing for parents to shut down the computers and smart phones and television sets and Xboxes and get those kids out moving, running, jumping, doing stuff. Maybe run schools more like military schools with a lot of calisthentics and other strength building exercises interspersed with academics.

Then they could enjoy a good lunch with enough food they like to calm the tummy grumbles so the kids could concentrate on their afternoon classes better.

diet_042005.gif

No they didn't. Which is why I posted earlier that if the government wanted to really fight obesity in children, it should be pushing and pushing and pushing for parents to shut down the computers and smart phones and television sets and Xboxes and get those kids out moving, running, jumping, doing stuff. Maybe run schools more like military schools with a lot of calisthentics and other strength building exercises interspersed with academics.
Oh. You support Michelle Obama. Color me surprised.

Oh. You support Michelle Obama. Color me surprised.

I'm sure she and I agree on this or that. We disagree HUGELY on her school lunch program though.

I'm sure she and I agree on this or that. We disagree HUGELY on her school lunch program though.

Unbelievable isn't it?
School lunch food is actually worse now than before...unreal.

That photo a little earlier in the thread looked disgusting!!

I blame the parents. They shouldn't be counting on the school to feed their kids.

My mother loved her kids, she packed a lunch for us almost every day. I rarely ate a "school lunch". The only "food" we ever bought at school was a little carton of milk that cost about a quarter and occasionally some fudge to help the PTA or Glee club.

USDA_Food_Pyramid.gif

This is a really important argument and illustration for this topic.

On its website the USDA advertised itself like this:

The Food and Nutrition Information Center - a leader in food and human nutrition information dissemination since 1971 - provides credible, accurate, and practical resources for nutrition and health professionals, educators, government personnel and consumers.​

It was that same Food and Nurtrition Information Center who put out that horrendous food pyramid as how Americans should eat. And anybody who keeps up with nutrition at all knew then, as they know even better now, how completely wrong that pyramid was and is.

So should the government hold itself to the same standards as it pretends it holds itself in 'truth in advertising?' Or given how much false advertising the government has put out about so many things, can we agree that it is the pot calling the kettle black when government presume to dictate that a nutrition bar can't be advertised as 'healthy'?
The food pyramid was what the current scientific consensus was.

The failure was one of the science, not the government.

Geebus christmas

Kinda reminds me of another "scientific consensus"........:cuckoo:

GM certainly showed us the meaning of "corporate responsibility" when they produced the Corvair for several years. Of course, Ford did the same with their Pinto which tended to blow up in flames when hit from the rear. Well, after all, it was the consumer's fault for not asking if it would do that. Now, I know better, and always ask the dealer if the car I am buying tends to explode when hit. I am sure that he would tell me the truth, even if the government did not force him to.

You do realize that the government fought Ralph Nader equally as much as the big 3.
The government didn't change car safety...until they were forced to.

Not the way I remember it at all. In fact, I remember auto executives sweating bullets in front of congressional hearings on the subjects on TV.

Unbelievable isn't it?
School lunch food is actually worse now than before...unreal.

That photo a little earlier in the thread looked disgusting!!

I blame the parents. They shouldn't be counting on the school to feed their kids.

My mother loved her kids, she packed a lunch for us almost every day. I rarely ate a "school lunch". The only "food" we ever bought at school was a little carton of milk that cost about a quarter and occasionally some fudge to help the PTA or Glee club.

When I was in school they actually cooked food. Ovens/mixers real cooking.
Look at this photo...made their own bread!
cafeteria-workers.jpg

Look at this...ACTUAL chicken...not frozen processed frankenchicken...actual chicken pieces!!!

central1985b.jpg

Imagine this...teachers ate the same food with the students!!

SAIS_1970s-3_resized1_2_pyramid.jpg

Corporations always do what is best for you, without any interference from the government. Turning Love Canal into a toxic waste site was actually in the public's best interest. it has created billions of dollars in jobs....

Strawman

Corporations utilize government to protect themselves from their poor decisions.

And they use government to create barriers to entry so that they can modulate prices higher than the market might otherwise dictate.

Try starting a restaraunt and see how much red tape you hit. It's not wonder that we mostly have the Chile's, Applebee,s and Burger Kings...etc. of the world.

I used to own a restaurant. The health department was completely unreasonable. They demanded that i wash the chicken cutting board every single day.....

1. You needed to be told that ?

2. Did they check you every day ?

Jimmy Carter lowered the speed limit to 55 mph. I've heard that saved lives and fuel. Why are we back to 70 mph ?

Cars today are identical to cars back in the Carter era?

Do they still have poor brakes, iffy handling, no airbags or crumple zones?

Or did the government of We the People step in and require greater safety standards for cars since then?

So because of the government we can now drive safer cars at higher speeds.

FTR it was also the government that pushed for better fuel mileage standards so you aren't stuck with 12 mpg while polluting the atmosphere.

More people die at 70 than at 55. Regardless of the type of car.

Nice try though.

Unless you have an "acceptable" level of death on the highway.

Assumes facts not in evidence.

Fatalities today per million vehicle miles traveled is one third of what it was in 1979.

List of motor vehicle deaths in U.S. by year - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

What facts did I assume ?

Please share.

Forum List

Back