Should Teachers Grade Parents???

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
Should teachers grade parents? - The Week

Florida state Rep. Kelli Stargel has introduced a bill that would require public school teachers to grade not only their students, but the students' parents as well. Moms and dads would be judged satisfactory, unsatisfactory, or "needs improvement," based on criteria like their kids' test preparation, appearance, and attendance. "We have student accountability, we have teacher accountability, and we have administration accountability," says Stargel, a Republican. "This was the missing link." Should schools, and parents, embrace the proposal?

Last edited:
If a teacher tried to give me a grade, I'd tell them in no uncertain terms where they could shove it.

to a certain extent teachers have always graded parents. the kids of concerned and involved parents get extra attention and a heads-up for special opportunities. its a win-win situation.

Schools, like all government agencies , are overstepping their boundaries.

A school in Swampscott MA called a mandatory meeting for parents. If parents refused to attend, the school would not allow their kids to participate in any sports or activities.

Sorry but the second I graduated from high school, teachers and the fucking school system lost it's right to tell me what to do.

Schools, like all government agencies , are overstepping their boundaries.

A school in Swampscott MA called a mandatory meeting for parents. If parents refused to attend, the school would not allow their kids to participate in any sports or activities.

Sorry but the second I graduated from high school, teachers and the fucking school system lost it's right to tell me what to do.

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Grade parents? No. No right and fail to see how it would help the kids most in need.

What I would like to see implemented though would be schools reaching out to new parents, perhaps from 'Welcome Wagon' or birth announcement lists. The most needy and likely to be behind from the get go are the children in impoverished areas. Parents are unlikely to be educated, be unaware of how to enrich toddlers, preschoolers. However, even in well heeled areas, parents often don't know the simple things, like reading and questioning through foretelling that help preschoolers tremendously.

I don't believe most parents, even those addicted want their children to suffer. They lack the skills, often from being poorly parented themselves. Some are illiterate, yet may well take their children to reading sessions at library and neighboring bookstores. They may not be aware of all the services available for little or no costs by their park district.

Most successful charter schools and private schools in urban areas already do such. It's something I think many teachers would volunteer to do, I know I would and I'm a secondary teacher.

Florida state Rep. Kelli Stargel has introduced a bill that would require public school teachers to grade not only their students, but the students' parents as well. Moms and dads would be judged satisfactory, unsatisfactory, or "needs improvement," based on criteria like their kids' test preparation, appearance, and attendance. "We have student accountability, we have teacher accountability, and we have administration accountability," says Stargel, a Republican. "This was the missing link." Should schools, and parents, embrace the proposal?

No.

Let's pretend we are adults, and get nanny government as far removed as possible.

The 'grading' should be same way as one 'grades' a restaurant, or a dry cleaner....

Vouchers would be the only grade: take the child to which ever school the parent (i.e., adult) decides is appropriate, and apply the voucher to said school.

Consider it 'graded.'

No.

Let's pretend we are adults, and get nanny government as far removed as possible.

The 'grading' should be same way as one 'grades' a restaurant, or a dry cleaner....

Vouchers would be the only grade: take the child to which ever school the parent (i.e., adult) decides is appropriate, and apply the voucher to said school.

Consider it 'graded.'

I agree with this, but still think my suggestion is good. Having taught for many years at upper middle to upper class socioeconomic schools, many parents would welcome the connectivity and suggestions, most requiring little or no money, to help prepare their kids for school.

Well educated parents do talk to their children from infancy and read to them too. However, many do not recognize how to prompt toddlers to respond to the foreshadowing and climaxes in a story, which help not only reading and thinking, but later writing.

Many use 'suggested age books' that the children can handle on their own, not realizing that perhaps 'bedtime books' should be more along the lines of chapter or poetry books.

Nearly all of our parents were unaware of connections between chores and work ethic; yes, I am serious. Many of these kids had no chores in middle school, much less as toddlers. Most had cleaning services, including making their beds and emptying trash from their rooms and kitchen. The kids with the most problems were those with no responsibilities and parents that were unavailable-but that is by middle school. All the parents wondered why so many kids were unorganized and forgetful. They were never provided the practice.

You'd not believe the number of kids I've had in school, even subbing, who've been to Wicked, but never to the library. They have books at home, but best sellers from the bookstore. IMO there's nothing wrong with the Vampire books or Harry Potter, but the library allows kids to 'wander' and find things they might not at a Border's, where the tend to wander into the music section, after picking up the popular book.

So many things parents can do, the majority of the 'best and brightest' have parents that know these things, either from the parenting they received or nearly intuitively.

No.

Consider it 'graded.'

What does that have to do with parents?

Are we going to issue vouchers for the kids to get new parents?

This is a terrible idea. Doesn't sound like a party of "Small Government" to me either.

to a certain extent teachers have always graded parents. the kids of concerned and involved parents get extra attention and a heads-up for special opportunities. its a win-win situation.

Excellent.

It is obvious to me that most of the lemmings who have parroted whatever they may expect Rush Limbaugh to ramble on about, or whatever Chris Matthews to drool forth, have forgotten that it is quite simple to meet with a teacher, principal, district administrator, or vote for a member of the school board.

Sick.

Who gets to "grade" the teachers? And are they up for other teachers grading their own parenting?

What are you afraid of?

That the peanut butter sandwich you made for your kids lunch got a C- ??
That the other mothers get higher grades than you?
That other kids will display "My mother is an honor parent" bumper stickers?

No.

Consider it 'graded.'

The answer was "no."

Teachers are the hired help, and as such, have no province in grading the employer.

Simply absurd.

Do you think your dry cleaner should grade how good a customer you are, or how neat you are with your clothing?

The blurb was downhill from "...state Rep. Kelli Stargel has introduced a bill ..."

I know those of us on the USMB 24-7 have no life, and no friends, and nothing else to do...but elected officials must have more important....

scratch that.

No......

No.

Consider it 'graded.'

The answer was "no."

Teachers are the hired help, and as such, have no province in grading the employer.

Simply absurd.

"Absurd?"

"ABSURD" you say?

My dear woman, do you not think that teachers grade parents? What else do you suppose they talk about on Friday at Happy Hour?

Sick.

Who gets to "grade" the teachers? And are they up for other teachers grading their own parenting?

What are you afraid of?

You will also be graded on:

How good your cookies were for the Bake Sale
What you were wearing when you let junior out of the minivan
How well junior did at the science fair since everyone knows parents do all the work

What's the matter parents? Afraid of a little competition?

Sick.

What are you afraid of?

You will also be graded on:

How good your cookies were for the Bake Sale
You know that cookies aren't allowed in school. In fact in some schools in MA the teachers will confiscate sweets out of a kid's lunch box, then they'll stuff their faces with them in the teachers' lounge. But hey they just don't want your kid to be fat.

Forum List

Back