Should Teachers Grade Parents???

Discussion in 'Education' started by rightwinger, Feb 1, 2011.

1. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,336
    Should teachers grade parents? - The Week

Florida state Rep. Kelli Stargel has introduced a bill that would require public school teachers to grade not only their students, but the students' parents as well. Moms and dads would be judged satisfactory, unsatisfactory, or "needs improvement," based on criteria like their kids' test preparation, appearance, and attendance. "We have student accountability, we have teacher accountability, and we have administration accountability," says Stargel, a Republican. "This was the missing link." Should schools, and parents, embrace the proposal?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  2. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,043
    If a teacher tried to give me a grade, I'd tell them in no uncertain terms where they could shove it.

3. Samson

Samson Póg Mo Thóin Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,210
    You realize that some teachers would probably like that?

4. IanC

IanC Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,441
    to a certain extent teachers have always graded parents. the kids of concerned and involved parents get extra attention and a heads-up for special opportunities. its a win-win situation.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  5. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,043
    Schools, like all government agencies , are overstepping their boundaries.

A school in Swampscott MA called a mandatory meeting for parents. If parents refused to attend, the school would not allow their kids to participate in any sports or activities.

Sorry but the second I graduated from high school, teachers and the fucking school system lost it's right to tell me what to do.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. High_Gravity

High_Gravity Belligerent Drunk Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Grade parents? No. No right and fail to see how it would help the kids most in need.

What I would like to see implemented though would be schools reaching out to new parents, perhaps from 'Welcome Wagon' or birth announcement lists. The most needy and likely to be behind from the get go are the children in impoverished areas. Parents are unlikely to be educated, be unaware of how to enrich toddlers, preschoolers. However, even in well heeled areas, parents often don't know the simple things, like reading and questioning through foretelling that help preschoolers tremendously.

I don't believe most parents, even those addicted want their children to suffer. They lack the skills, often from being poorly parented themselves. Some are illiterate, yet may well take their children to reading sessions at library and neighboring bookstores. They may not be aware of all the services available for little or no costs by their park district.

Most successful charter schools and private schools in urban areas already do such. It's something I think many teachers would volunteer to do, I know I would and I'm a secondary teacher.

8. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,909
    No.

Let's pretend we are adults, and get nanny government as far removed as possible.

The 'grading' should be same way as one 'grades' a restaurant, or a dry cleaner....

Vouchers would be the only grade: take the child to which ever school the parent (i.e., adult) decides is appropriate, and apply the voucher to said school.

Consider it 'graded.'

9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I agree with this, but still think my suggestion is good. Having taught for many years at upper middle to upper class socioeconomic schools, many parents would welcome the connectivity and suggestions, most requiring little or no money, to help prepare their kids for school.

Well educated parents do talk to their children from infancy and read to them too. However, many do not recognize how to prompt toddlers to respond to the foreshadowing and climaxes in a story, which help not only reading and thinking, but later writing.

Many use 'suggested age books' that the children can handle on their own, not realizing that perhaps 'bedtime books' should be more along the lines of chapter or poetry books.

Nearly all of our parents were unaware of connections between chores and work ethic; yes, I am serious. Many of these kids had no chores in middle school, much less as toddlers. Most had cleaning services, including making their beds and emptying trash from their rooms and kitchen. The kids with the most problems were those with no responsibilities and parents that were unavailable-but that is by middle school. All the parents wondered why so many kids were unorganized and forgetful. They were never provided the practice.

You'd not believe the number of kids I've had in school, even subbing, who've been to Wicked, but never to the library. They have books at home, but best sellers from the bookstore. IMO there's nothing wrong with the Vampire books or Harry Potter, but the library allows kids to 'wander' and find things they might not at a Border's, where the tend to wander into the music section, after picking up the popular book.

So many things parents can do, the majority of the 'best and brightest' have parents that know these things, either from the parenting they received or nearly intuitively.

10. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,336
    What does that have to do with parents?

Are we going to issue vouchers for the kids to get new parents?