Should Shirley Sherrod Sue Andrew Breitbart Over Edited Video?

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
Should Shirley Sherrod Sue Andrew Breitbart Over Edited Video?

Bloggers consider themselves 'media' so if ABC or FOX or the WSJ did this to somebody, would you support going after them in court as Sherrod says she is going to do to Pandy Andy the lying Dandy?

"...despite the fact that the full video features Sherrod telling an NAACP meeting how she became a better person and overcame her biases. As originally posted, Sherrod spoke about not helping a white farmer as much as she could have. But the instance occurred a quarter century ago. The point of Sherrod's story was that she had been wrong. And the farmer in question jumped to her defense."

------

Sherrod doesn't have a slam-dunk case: Sherrod can file suit against Breitbart, and "the most obvious claims would be false light and defamation," says law professor Jonathan Turley in his blog. But the tricky part would be to prove that Breitbart knew he was purposefully misrepresenting her speech, or that defaming her was the point of the clip.
"Can Sherrod sue over edited NAACP tape?"

---

right winger response as written on a right wing news site:

Mr. Breitbart did not respond to e-mail or a voice message from The Washington Times. Mr. Breitbart has said he did not edit the video and that it was President Obama's Agriculture Department that fired Mrs. Sherrod, not him. http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/jul/29/sherrod-vows-to-sue-breitbart/

Last edited:
No, she shouldn't. This whole fiasco has actually helped her, for one thing. She is now famous and a heroine to many. She has no damages, in reality. The incident will actually open many doors for her.

The blame for her firing lies with her bosses for failing to investigate the story behind the video.

No, she shouldn't. This whole fiasco has actually helped her, for one thing. She is now famous and a heroine to many. She has no damages, in reality. The incident will actually open many doors for her.

The blame for her firing lies with her bosses for failing to investigate the story behind the video.

So you think she will be suing over her firing? She has no damages -- false light and defamation?

So you think she will be suing over her firing? She has no damages -- false light and defamation?

I don't think she should sue about anything. She should enjoy the talk-show circuit and maybe write a book. She can take the high road, and save herself time and energy in the process, all the while cashing in and enjoying life.

I don't think she should sue about anything. She should enjoy the talk-show circuit and maybe write a book. She can take the high road, and save herself time and energy in the process, all the while cashing in and enjoying life.

so take the cheap greed route and fuck honor, decency and respect?

spoken like a true conservative

She can try, but she'll lose. And then she will have to pay all the court cost and if there is any justice should would be fined for bringing about a frivolous lawsuit.

LOL. Yeah, she can try to sue, just like so many try to sue for selective editing by the press (using that term loosely for some). Fighting the Constitution usually ends up a loser.

She has no damages? If you got fired for no reason, whould you have damages?

LOL. Yeah, she can try to sue, just like so many try to sue for selective editing by the press (using that term loosely for some). Fighting the Constitution usually ends up a loser.

Tell that to the people who are against this "mosque"...

She has no damages? If you got fired for no reason, whould you have damages?

Breitbart didn't fire her. She can try and sue the Obama administration for wrongful termination.

I'm sorry, but IMO, Mrs. Sherrod has carried this whole thing way too far. She's been offered another job, declined. She's been on countless TV shows. While it was a horrible thing that Brietfart did to her, and I'm sure it caused her great heartache, she must move on.
Now before everyone starts calling me a racist, I do believe we must learn something from this.. Never trust the stupid bloggers on the right. That being said, it's time to drop this issue.. Harping on it won't make it better.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back