Should Prostitution Be Legal In America?

Prostitution has been around forever and was not always illegal. I highly doubt that many woman are going to be flocking to become prostitutes. It is usually reserved for those women who don't have any other options.
ChrisL,
I know it's unlikely. But a further spelling of your name wouldn't be Chris Lam.... would it. As to the rest, prostitution has been legal at times. As you probably know, it is legal in a couple places here in the U.S. But that doesn't make it right. Especially in a capitalist society where when it comes to money, anything goes. Also, it may or may not be true that women would flock to prostitution. Some may actually like it. But then, it's hard to say what kind of childhood they had.

All I can say is that for many of the women I have seen that were prostitutes, it makes me very sad to see them doing it. Then you talk of women that don't have any other option. That's one of the things I was saying. It disgusts me that I live in a society that doesn't leave those women any other option. I could change things. But the chances of that happening are about zero.

I never said that it was right, but that doesn't change the fact that your or my opinions about it don't matter to those women who need money, drugs, whatever the reason they are selling themselves. I can be against something for my own personal reasons but still realize that it could be of benefit to legalize it and that making it illegal only ends up hurting under-aged children because there are absolutely no checks being done at all.

That is my biggest concern in all of this, is the selling of minor boys and girls.
ChrisL,
There is much logic to what you say. There is a long and proud tradition of exploitation when it comes to prostitution. But no doubt you noticed my avatar. I have a solution. Which is to execute anybody even suspected of being a pimp. That is, after a very short trial. Probably the main reason why the mafia was against Mussolini is because organized crime doesn't do very well under a Fascist regeme. Unlike here where there are countless laws and "civil liberties" for them to hide behind.

I don't agree with fascism, but to address the topic of prostitution, I feel there is no better way to catch the ones who are exploiting children than by making it legal, or at least decriminalized as the poster above stated. I guess you and I will have to agree to disagree on what is best on this topic. :)
ChrisL,
You basically spoke earlier of vulnerable young girls and even boys being being dragged into prostitution. I don't think making prostitution legal would stop that. After all, Colorado made weed legal. The problem is, it can still be found at a cheaper price on the street. I think pimps would still find a way to do what they do. But with prostitution being legal, it probably wouldn't seem so bad. Also, as I said, criminals like to hide behind various laws and "civil liberities." A Fascist regeme would fix that and many other problems.

It would help to cut down on the selling of minor children to men in our country. That is my main concern.

ChrisL,
I know it's unlikely. But a further spelling of your name wouldn't be Chris Lam.... would it. As to the rest, prostitution has been legal at times. As you probably know, it is legal in a couple places here in the U.S. But that doesn't make it right. Especially in a capitalist society where when it comes to money, anything goes. Also, it may or may not be true that women would flock to prostitution. Some may actually like it. But then, it's hard to say what kind of childhood they had.

All I can say is that for many of the women I have seen that were prostitutes, it makes me very sad to see them doing it. Then you talk of women that don't have any other option. That's one of the things I was saying. It disgusts me that I live in a society that doesn't leave those women any other option. I could change things. But the chances of that happening are about zero.

I never said that it was right, but that doesn't change the fact that your or my opinions about it don't matter to those women who need money, drugs, whatever the reason they are selling themselves. I can be against something for my own personal reasons but still realize that it could be of benefit to legalize it and that making it illegal only ends up hurting under-aged children because there are absolutely no checks being done at all.

That is my biggest concern in all of this, is the selling of minor boys and girls.
ChrisL,
There is much logic to what you say. There is a long and proud tradition of exploitation when it comes to prostitution. But no doubt you noticed my avatar. I have a solution. Which is to execute anybody even suspected of being a pimp. That is, after a very short trial. Probably the main reason why the mafia was against Mussolini is because organized crime doesn't do very well under a Fascist regeme. Unlike here where there are countless laws and "civil liberties" for them to hide behind.

I don't agree with fascism, but to address the topic of prostitution, I feel there is no better way to catch the ones who are exploiting children than by making it legal, or at least decriminalized as the poster above stated. I guess you and I will have to agree to disagree on what is best on this topic. :)
ChrisL,
You basically spoke earlier of vulnerable young girls and even boys being being dragged into prostitution. I don't think making prostitution legal would stop that. After all, Colorado made weed legal. The problem is, it can still be found at a cheaper price on the street. I think pimps would still find a way to do what they do. But with prostitution being legal, it probably wouldn't seem so bad. Also, as I said, criminals like to hide behind various laws and "civil liberities." A Fascist regeme would fix that and many other problems.

It would help to cut down on the selling of minor children to men in our country. That is my main concern.
ChrisL,
Child prostitution is a problem. But I don't think it is that big of a problem. At least not in this country. The problem is that where adult prostitution becomes acceptable, it is likely to increase the incidences of child prostitution.

Also, I started a thread called, "Democracy Giving Rise to Homo-mocracy." Basically it was about the whole gay marrage thing. But where homosexuality becomes acceptable, pederasty is sure to follow. You know. That whole NAMBLA thing. Young boys are likely to receive gifts from the adult males that have sex with them. That too is a form of prostitution. So to help stop such a thing, gays need to be shoved back into the closet. Not being allowed to have open gay marriage ceremonies.

ChrisL,

ChrisL,

ChrisL,
Child prostitution is a problem. But I don't think it is that big of a problem. At least not in this country. The problem is that where adult prostitution becomes acceptable, it is likely to increase the incidences of child prostitution.

Also, I started a thread called, "Democracy Giving Rise to Homo-mocracy." Basically it was about the whole gay marrage thing. But where homosexuality becomes acceptable, pederasty is sure to follow. You know. That whole NAMBLA thing. Young boys are likely to receive gifts from the adult males that have sex with them. That too is a form of prostitution. So to help stop such a thing, gays need to be shoved back into the closet. Not being allowed to have open gay marriage ceremonies.

I think that you and I will have to agree to disagree, but I appreciate your respectful tone and manner throughout our discussion. Thank you. :)

Since prostitution is not legal in most states why is being a congressperson sufficient cover to avoid arrest? Or are we going to use the term "prostitution" only in a strict sexual sense?

Yes.

Government power shouldn't be used to restrict individual liberty when two people of their own volition undertake a commercial transaction that doesn't harm anyone.

It DOES harm someone. It invariably causes harm.

It would help to cut down on the selling of minor children to men in our country.

It would NOT. It DOES not. This has been proven.

No it has not been proven. You are wrong.

I have posted DATA scientifically gathered and analyzed, as well as personal accounts from those who have 'worked' in the industry on this very thread. YOU are wrong, and you are willfully contributing to the hell that CHILDREN as well as adults got through in the name of a vice for the truly pathetic. Live with yourself if you can, but that's the truth.

It would help to cut down on the selling of minor children to men in our country.

I have posted DATA scientifically gathered and analyzed, as well as personal accounts from those who have 'worked' in the industry on this very thread. YOU are wrong, and you are willfully contributing to the hell that CHILDREN as well as adults got through in the name of a vice for the truly pathetic. Live with yourself if you can, but that's the truth.

Yes, you posted information from another country. Like I pointed out in your "study," of course arrests would increase once you legalize it and can capture those people more easily because there is a paper trail. Without any paper trail or any trail at all, for that matter, it makes it much more difficult to help those who are forced into this business and minors, and it also makes it more difficult to find the perpetrators and punish them. That is just common sense. You shouldn't need any scientific data to tell you that much.

Yes, you posted information from another country. .

I posted information gathered in many countries, including this one. YOU are playing the apologist for something that INVARIABLY results in exactly what you 'claim' to be concerned about.

I posted information gathered in many countries, including this one. YOU are playing the apologist for something that INVARIABLY results in exactly what you 'claim' to be concerned about.

Like I said, just because other countries did not have adequate regulations, means nothing. Besides, there was no causal relationship established between legalizing prostitution and human trafficking. They used data that they gathered based upon arrest records, which OF COURSE are going to be more prevalent when you are arresting MORE people because they are easier to bust. Come on, how on earth can a person think that an unregulated entity is safer than a regulated one? Sorry, it makes absolutely NO sense at all and I don't believe it.

Like I said, just because other countries did not have adequate regulations, means nothing. ...

Other countries that regulate everything much more stringently than we do here. And - again - I included data from THIS country. You are making yourself culpable in exactly what you 'claim' to be concerned about by ignoring the facts and denying reality so that you can defend the indefensible. Good luck looking yourself in the mirror.

Like I said, just because other countries did not have adequate regulations, means nothing. ...

Other countries that regulate everything much more stringently than we do here. And - again - I included data from THIS country. You are making yourself culpable in exactly what you 'claim' to be concerned about by ignoring the facts and denying reality so that you can defend the indefensible. Good luck looking yourself in the mirror.

Legalizing would only help those who are stuck get out and make them free to seek help. I don't think that you really posted any facts, but rather opinions based on some rather controversial data that can be interpreted in a number of ways.

Besides, there was no causal relationship established between legalizing prostitution and human trafficking. ...

Yes there IS. Read the links, enabler.

THAT does not indicate a causal relationship. Do you know what a causal relationship is? Somehow, I don't think you do. You found this study online that just happens to agree with your silly views and went all in without taking any of it's heavy flaws into consideration. And it IS heavily flawed with lots of assumptions and questionable interpretations and NO causal links demonstrated.

Forum List

Back