Should President Obama Suspend Military Aide to Israel?

Should President Obama Suspend Military Aide to Israel?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mustang

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2010
39° 44 mins 21 secs N, 104° 59 mins 5 secs W
America is considered the moral leader of the world. I won’t bother to comment on the merit of that claim (either made by us or others). But it’s a simple fact that American foreign policy often has a strong moral element to it. For example, during the cold war, we promoted policies to encourage the Soviet Union to allow the emigration of Russian Jews to Israel. Furthermore, President Carter famously elevated human rights in his dealings with other nations. In fact, I believe the US always includes restrictions on the use of military aid and the weapons we supply to allies in the sense that we won’t allow them to be used except for defensive purposes.

With that said, the IDF shelling and bombing of Gaza is arguably not about self-defense considering the nature of the assault and the civilian death toll which is completely one-sided in terms of numbers. In that regard, the numbers I've seen are quite shocking. I won’t claim the number I’m providing is an official one, but what I’ve seen reported on the news is approximately 1,400 Palestinian deaths, mostly civilians, compared to 56 Israeli soldiers and 3 civilians.

The Israelis are using our military aid and weapons we supply to engage in these wholesale deaths which is the result of targeting civilian areas.

So, in the interests of human rights and the American interest of not being seen as condoning the killing of so many innocent lives, including women and children, should President Obama suspend military aid to Israel in the interest of trying to stop the killing of so many civilians?

Last edited:
America is considered the moral leader of the world. I won’t bother to comment on the merit of that claim (either made by us or others). But it’s a simple fact that American foreign policy often has a strong moral element to it. For example, during the cold war, we promoted policies to encourage the Soviet Union to allow the emigration of Russian Jews to Israel. Furthermore, President Carter famously elevated human rights in his dealings with other nations. In fact, I believe the US always includes restrictions on the use of military aid and the weapons we supply to allies in the sense that we won’t allow them to be used except for defensive purposes.

With that said, the IDF shelling and bombing of Gaza is arguably not about self-defense considering the nature of the assault and the civilian death toll which is completely one-sided in terms of numbers. In that regard, the numbers of seen are quite shocking. I won’t claim the number I’m providing is an official one, but what I’ve seen reported on the news is approximately 1,400 Palestinian deaths, mostly civilians, compared to 56 Israeli soldiers and 3 civilians.

The Israelis are using our military aid and weapons we supply to engage in these wholesale deaths which is the result of targeting civilian areas.

So, in the interests of human rights and the American interest of not being seen as condoning the killing of so many innocent lives, including women and children, should President Obama suspend military aid to Israel in the interest of trying to stop the killing of so many civilians?
Still at the level of ethnic flossing...wake me at ethnic Sitz bath.

The US should suspend all foreign aid to the Mid East. For that matter the US should suspend all foreign aid period. Im tired of seeing my tax money being spent on other countries when the money could be better spent here at home.

Hamas is the aggressor and terrorist group. Stop funding them.

You don't think the Palestinian civilians are being terrorized by widespread Israeli military assaults on their homes, schools, and markets?

Yes, because Hamas wants dead bodies to publicize.

They sure do have that!

Personally, it seems stupid to me to engage in this kind of military attack while trying to maintain that YOU are the victim. At best, it's a PR fiasco.

You don't think the Palestinian civilians are being terrorized by widespread Israeli military assaults on their homes, schools, and markets?

Yes, because Hamas wants dead bodies to publicize.

They sure do have that!

Personally, it seems stupid to me to engage in this kind of military attack while trying to maintain that YOU are the victim. At best, it's a PR fiasco.

Then Hamas can stop attacking Israel, Israel has callled numerous unilateral cease fires, for humanitarian reasons.......Hamas keeps firing......

The US should suspend all foreign aid to the Mid East. For that matter the US should suspend all foreign aid period. Im tired of seeing my tax money being spent on other countries when the money could be better spent here at home.

There is a huge brush fire being fought a mile from your own house.

Do you want the fire fighting to stop until the fire reaches your front door?

Or do you want all or as much as possible of the fighting to take place away from your family and right now!?

In Israel we have a Democratic ally who is fighting the aggressive forces of Islamism who are determined to bring the fight to your front steps.

Give them the resources they need, eh?

Maybe by so doing we will gain the time we need in America to awaken all such as you who aren't looking at this the right way.

When the count is 1000 Palestinians dead vs 50 Israel soldiers dead.

You cant really contintue to say its just "Israel defending itself". Thats like someone kills your friend and in response you level their entire block

Don't you see?

Only THEY (the Palestinian civilians) have the power to make this all stop by denouncing Hamas.

That's not a fact. That's a contention.

The fact of the matter is that weapons we provided Israel are being used to engage in what amounts to essentially the indiscriminate killing of civilians not involved in the fighting. The American policy of moral engagement and our call for the respect and dignity of civilians in a war zone looks like empty rhetoric if our gov't refuses to use its influence over Israel (which IS considerable) to try to force them to stop the killing. This perceived hypocrisy can't help but breed more anti-American sentiment and possibly even terrorism directed at Americans and American economic interests both in the region and elsewhere.

That doesn't seem very smart to me.

Don't you see?

Only THEY (the Palestinian civilians) have the power to make this all stop by denouncing Hamas.

The fact of the matter is that weapons we provided Israel are being used to engage in what amounts to essentially the indiscriminate killing of civilians not involved in the fighting. The American policy of moral engagement and our call for the respect and dignity of civilians in a war zone looks like empty rhetoric if our gov't refuses to use its influence over Israel (which IS considerable) to try to force them to stop the killing. This perceived hypocrisy can't help but breed more anti-American sentiment and possibly even terrorism directed at Americans and American economic interests both in the region and elsewhere.

You are a libtard, smart is not in your vocabulary. Israel is the only country we need to give money and ammo to to defeat the satan worshipers and kick them out of Israel.

Don't you see?

You are a libtard, smart is not in your vocabulary. Israel is the only country we need to give money and ammo to to defeat the satan worshipers and kick them out of Israel.

Then why don't they kick them out instead of engaging in genocide?

The optics are getting worse every day for Israel as the kill numbers on both sides become more distorted. These so-called Hamas-staged bombings of hospitals and schools becomes harder and harder to believe.

The press inside the lines are increasingly saying these attacks are NOT coming from inside Gaza. Oh, that must be the fucking liberal media again...Uh huh.

Um, if the liar in chief had the power to suspend military aid to Israel he would have 5 years ago.

Notice they just run from that question. They just dig their pointy little heels in and see the things they want to see.
I won't run. Probably, the palestinians need to kick all terrorist out of Israel learn to live in someones else's country in peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back