CDZ Should Police Stop Responding to Domestic Disputes?

They should stop?

• Yes

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • No

Votes: 16 94.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
Another killed by getting in between :

750x422

Police: Maryland officer shot, killed while intervening in domestic dispute @ Police: Maryland officer shot, killed while intervening in domestic dispute

All you have to do is conduct an internet search like the one @ police officers killed involved in domestic disputes - Bing to see page after page of reports about police officers being shot and killed while responding to domestic dispute calls.

Most officers will tell you they are the calls they hate the most. So, why do we keep sending them out for them?

Tell me what YOU think. No flaming please.

Because that's their job?

I'm trying to be nice and CDZ here, but the reason why we pay cops more than I make is because we want them to deal with this sort of unpleasant stuff.

And since the Police Departments aren't advocating for common sense gun laws, I can't get terribly worked up when 50 of the 33,000 gun deaths we have every year are police officers doing their jobs.

Joe is right, but it still is dangerous. Perhaps there should be two cars going to each domestic call. It used to be that each officer had a partner. We should get back to that.

I agree with Jackson. The police should always work with a partner. Domestic calls are especially dicey.

Should police stop responding to domestic disputes? No. Their job is serve and protect. That includes domestic disputes.

I'm trying to be nice and CDZ here, but the reason why we pay cops more than I make is because we want them to deal with this sort of unpleasant stuff.

And since the Police Departments aren't advocating for common sense gun laws, I can't get terribly worked up when 50 of the 33,000 gun deaths we have every year are police officers doing their jobs.
Cops don't make a lot of money Joe. Sorry to hear you make less.

Cops I know do pretty well.

Small town cops, they can be poorly paid.

What is pretty well? $50k? I don't consider that pretty well.

And poor Joe makes even less. Sorry Poor Joe...

Somewhat more. Nice house in the suburbs, two cars, money to travel a lot domestically, seems not money stressed.

Not a lot of cash on hand, though to be honest.

Somewhat more. Nice house in the suburbs, two cars, money to travel a lot domestically, seems not money stressed.

Not a lot of cash on hand, though to be honest.
Still not "pretty well," particularly considering the dangers they face every day. A veteran NYC cop makes 90k. That amount of money in NYC, aint' shit.

Annual Pay Increases
Pay increases for NYPD officers are small during the early years on the job but increase significantly over time. After two-and-a-half years on the job, a police officer receives a base salary of $48,779 and a total compensation package of $53,819. Base salaries increase on an annual basis by $3,000 to $5,000 over the next few years. Halfway through a cop's sixth year on the job, his base salary jumps from $56,609 to $76,488 per year.
The total compensation package of a cop with five-and-a-half years experience amounts to $90,829. Salary for a Rookie Cop in the NYPD

750x422

Police: Maryland officer shot, killed while intervening in domestic dispute @ Police: Maryland officer shot, killed while intervening in domestic dispute

All you have to do is conduct an internet search like the one @ police officers killed involved in domestic disputes - Bing to see page after page of reports about police officers being shot and killed while responding to domestic dispute calls.

Most officers will tell you they are the calls they hate the most. So, why do we keep sending them out for them?

Glen Tyndell is listed in another article (and PGPD News) as an "estranged husband" that showed up in front of her house with a shot gun. This one wasn't a call. The woman involved and the officer were neighbors. That would explain why Mujahid A. Ramazziddin was alone.

That said, statistic wise that is when an officer is most likely to get shot when responding to domestic violence calls. Women are most likely to be murdered when leaving leaving their male partner. They call out of fear (except for people who are deep in BS) and because a Protection Order or Restraining Order (if you have one) looks lovely on paper but doesn't hold any magical powers when held up as a shield.

Should they stop responding to them? Can't. In the bigger picture, we give up the right to be judge and jury.

750x422

Most of the times the situation escalates it isn't the first time the police have been involved in the altercation.

The key is to punish domestic violence like any other violence, jail the attacker, prosecute, and enforce a restraining order on BOTH parties to stay the hell away from each other.

750x422

Most of the times the situation escalates it isn't the first time the police have been involved in the altercation.

The key is to punish domestic violence like any other violence, jail the attacker, prosecute, and enforce a restraining order on BOTH parties to stay the hell away from each other.

I've never seen profiling used to predict which "estranged husbands" will become violent, but I bet it could.

750x422

I've never seen profiling used to predict which "estranged husbands" will become violent, but I bet it could.

No profiling needed, first time cops show up at a house with a beaten spouse the other party goes to jail, and gets prosecuted for assault.

And the DA's should have a policy to require at least some jail time, no pleas down to something more minor.

And for the abuse victim set up some counseling to make them realize they don't have to be with a person who uses them as a punching bag.

Police used to look the other way in domestic disputes. It was their business. As long as someone wasn't killed or hospitalized, they let the couple handle their own problem

Domestic violence at any level will tend to escalate. Having zero tolerance has done much to reduce the number of domestic related homicides

First of all, let's introduce important details that the OP does not include:
  • The person who was killed was indeed a cop. (The OP says so too.)
  • The cop was called to the scene by his neighbor, not by the police force/dispatchers.
    • [Ofc.] Ramzziddin, who was off-duty at the time, intervened when a female neighbor was being threatened by her estranged husband outside of her home...Ramzziddin was the woman's neighbor, was off-duty and at home but went to her house after she asked for his help with a domestic dispute.
    • The reporting says Ramzziddin offered to help and it says that the woman solicited his aid. It remains to be seen what exactly was more nearly the case; perhaps it was a bit of both....
Because the cop was off-duty and responding to a neighbor's request for help, I don't think this particular situation is a good one to use in a discussion about cops being sent on domestic dispute calls. It's all but impossible to say whether, were it a different non-cop neighbor who came to the woman's aid, they too would or would not have been shot.

I'm not taking exception with the assertions about how cops feel about responding to domestic disputes or the risks attendant to cops appearing to help resolve domestic disputes. I'm just saying that the MD event isn't a good one for illustrating such situations and their exigencies, constraints, etc. because it didn't involve an official "911" call for help with a domestic dispute. From square one, the dynamic was different because it was just one man showing up to help the woman, not a pair or more of cops. Also, the woman, her estranged (now dead) spouse and the cop had a non-police-specific relationship; they were neighbors.

why do we keep sending [cops] out for [domestic dispute calls]?
Because crime prevention is part of what police forces exist to do and domestic disputes are a form of crime whereof it's at least at times possible to avert a crime's occurrence and/or an injurious or deadly crime's commission.

Last edited:

750x422

Agreed. Domestic violence continues due to level of acceptance in a community. There needs to be stiffer penalties.

750x422

Domestic dispute is the most dangerous call a cop can get. People armed and shooting calls you know how to go in. Domestic you have to go in as if you're walking into your own home. And in most cases the wife starts defending her abusive husband when he is arrested.

750x422

Domestic dispute is the most dangerous call a cop can get. People armed and shooting calls you know how to go in. Domestic you have to go in as if you're walking into your own home. And in most cases the wife starts defending her abusive husband when he is arrested.

That is why many jurisdictions have zero tolerance on domestic assaults

If someone has been injured, their spouse is going to jail to cool off

750x422

That is why many jurisdictions have zero tolerance on domestic assaults

If someone has been injured, their spouse is going to jail to cool off
What's that have to do with the victim attacking the police?

750x422

I know a good number of cops who would love not to. Those are terrible calls.

We're probably stuck sending them though.

Maybe after the 3rd time for the same couple tell people who don't leave them situations its your choice and you're on your own?

Forum List

Back