CDZ Assault Rifles, How We Got Here

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by skews13, Feb 21, 2018.

1. skews13

skews13 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,610
    There is a lot of discussion about the AR-15 and assault rifles. Some of it is right, some wrong, and some depends upon where you go for the definition of "assault rifle." But none of it really explains the history of the weapon and how we got to this point in time. Perhaps the following will help.

The AR-15, and other assault rifle musings

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Pete7469

Pete7469 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,880
    Perhaps it would keep your mattress dry when you wake up more often if we killed each other with swords, pikes, daggers and arrows?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1
  3. Dale Smith

Dale Smith Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,965

The Daily Kos........too funny.

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1
  4. ABikerSailor

ABikerSailor Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,705
    You know, Wikipedia has better information on the AR 15 than this does. Why do I say that? Because the current civilian AR 15 was based on the M16, but only semi automatic, and when it first came out in 1964, it only had a 5 round magazine, not 30 to 100.

Colt AR-15 - Wikipedia

Colt started selling the semi-automatic version of the M16 rifle as the Colt AR-15 in 1964.[1][2][3] The first mass production version was the Colt AR-15 Sporter, in .223 Remington, with a 20-inch barrel and issued with 5-round magazines.[4] Over the decades, Colt has made many different types of AR-15 rifle and carbine models, including the AR-15, AR-15A2, AR-15A3, AR-15A4, and many other models.

5. flacaltenn

flacaltenn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28,505
    The commercial AR-15 was never the model for ANY military combat rifle.. 14 boring paragraphs of combat rifle history don't change that. BATF REQUIRED that any part interchangeable with an M16 be designed and milled to PREVENT interchange.

And it DOES depend on how you MAKE UP a term like an "assault rifle". You still don't know I would guess after reading that piece. It's NOT useless for small game like keeping the herd of coyotes or bobcats away from your cattle/farm. Or for defending a homestead. Or "other legal uses".

It's also quite accurate and easy to carry..

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. ABikerSailor

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,705
    Actually, the AR 15 was based on the design of the M16. See post 4.

7. flacaltenn

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28,505
    It was the other way 'round. M16 was BORROWED from the AR-15. But whatever. It's not made with the same parts. And as I said, the BATF prevented interchange of key parts even tho the whole family is modular..

There's hardly ANYTHING that's difficult about a rifle design. And what it LOOKS like is nothing but custom chrome and adding racing stripes.

I used to own several of these. And they would make gun phobes poop their panties by "how they look"..

[​IMG]

Or better yet ---- these awfully deadly looking ones..

[​IMG]

It's a very expensive competitive AIR RIFLE.. But I assure you -- Dianne Feinstein wouldn't know that.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. flacaltenn

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28,505
    I hope the gun phobes focus on the AR.. It'll keep them from noticing the other 10 styles of scary looking rifles..

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. ABikerSailor

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,705
    Hey, I would have zero problem with the AR 15 when it first came out, because it only had a 5 round magazine. Yes, something like that I can see as possible for hunting if it had better stopping power for big game.

But, the 30 round magazines and 100 round drums are a bit excessive. The only reason you would need firepower like that is if you are in a gun battle.

Interestingly enough, there are lots of people out there who don't understand that repeated fire will cause a gun to get hot and misfire, but unfortunately, that only happens at around 50 to 70 rounds.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. flacaltenn

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28,505
    When your backing off bear or coyote on your property, a 5 round mag is not enough. Fumbling for magazines in the dark with gloves on when something could kill you or your dog is not fun. And you don't have time to load before you leave the house.

Also good for training and practice. But I wouldn't miss 30 or 100 round mags.

People do hunt deer with high velocity .223 rounds. If you're humane and disciplined -- it's not a problem. When folks say "small bore" is useless for hunting --- what they are REALLY saying is "I'm a Klutz and I NEED bigger bullets".. That's a crap excuse. Ask the archers who take down deer.

I'm NOT a hunter. But I was a markmanship coach for several Jr Rifle teams and a Range Safety volunteer. So I've heard it all and seen it all..