Should Obama be sworn in on his Christian Bible

LOL, there yah go, have him swear on his bits. If he lies we chop em off.

Now I could live with that. Him and all of them in Washington.

You know, seriously ................... it really is time that we, the American people demand more. I have had to deal with government red tape, regulations and workers my entire life and the only common theme is that I continually have had to remind them that not only am I the customer (so to speak) but, also the employer!

We spend a great deal of time debating between democrat and republican, we protest, pay for TV and radio ads and so on ................ but we never do the same in demanding that they simply go to work each day and give us a good days work for a fair and equitable compensation package. If I have a employee who lies about the job, I fire them. If I have an employee who cannot do their job properly, I fire them. If I have an employee who steals from the company, I fire and prosecute them!

These people are no different. We have almost let them become untouchables.

Or will that upset the atheists, pagans, wiccans, agnostics, liberals, catholics and/or Oprahians?

If any elected politician put his hand on a Bible, would that upset the atheists, pagans, wiccans, agnostics, liberals, catholics and/or Oprahians?

Should Obama be sworn in on the Koran or would that upset Christians. Actually, I think that Christians were troubled when Keith Ellison was sworn into Congress and took a ceremonial oath with a Koran.

That is just too bad. Elected officials should be allowed to be sworn into office via any religious book (or no religious book) as the elected person so chooses.

If any elected politician put his hand on a Bible, would that upset the atheists, pagans, wiccans, agnostics, liberals, catholics and/or Oprahians?

Should Obama be sworn in on the Koran or would that upset Christians. Actually, I think that Christians were troubled when Keith Ellison was sworn into Congress and took a ceremonial oath with a Koran.

That is just too bad. Elected officials should be allowed to be sworn into office via any religious book (or no religious book) as the elected person so chooses.

I agree, but there is a growing group of militants that want to remove anything Christian from government. I wouldn't doubt it if the ACLU files a lawsuit in the not-to-distant future to remove any religious book from a swearing-in ceremony.

I agree, but there is a growing group of militants that want to remove anything Christian from government. I wouldn't doubt it if the ACLU files a lawsuit in the not-to-distant future to remove any religious book from a swearing-in ceremony.

Why? That would ultimately be pointless. Really pointless. I think our courts offer alternatives for people of other religions (swearing on other holy books or swearing under threat of perjury).

Maybe they could use this:

Tom Wolfe

Honestly, if a person cannot be taken for their word without having to swear on a false idol then they are not worth the trust anyway. I don't swear on anything, when I make a promise that's it, I do it. People use the idols they swear on so they can justify breaking their word later to themselves, but they are still not honest. No, I would have absolute respect if he just stood up and said, "I promise to do the best that I can" without the need for an idol of any sort. "Let your word be true."

Wow -a couple of odds "claims" in your post. For instance -you apparently "know" it would be swearing on a false idol when you actually know no such thing. Yet you write it as if it is a proven fact -lol. It is merely your opinion -one billions in the world do not share at all and would insist that statement is just a bullshit opinion.

The sentence about "people use the idols they swear on so they can justify breaking their word" is just bizarre on any level and makes no sense. Amazing you actually think people deliberately swear on what you believe is a "false idol" for the specific purpose of later justifying breaking the word. LOL At best it is a comment on the kind of people you personally associate with but nothing else.

A legal oath involves "swearing". And for people of normal IQ and above, it makes complete sense for the person being sworn in to swear his oath on something that person holds in the highest esteem and considers to be of such value to him -as an indication that person takes that oath as a deep and abiding obligation of the highest order since violating that oath would also violate what that individual believes to be of the highest value. As opposed to merely using a very sincere voice to "promise" to do something -while crossing one's fingers behind their back, literally or figuratively.

Whether you personally ALSO hold it in the highest esteem and consider it to be of the greatest value is totally irrelevant to the entire thing and of absolutely no concern to the person being sworn in -or anyone else.

Last edited:
Wow -a couple of odds "claims" in your post. For instance -you apparently "know" it would be swearing on a false idol when you actually know no such thing. Yet you write it as if it is a proven fact -lol. It is merely your opinion -one billions in the world do not share at all and would insist that statement is just a bullshit opinion.

The sentence about "people use the idols they swear on so they can justify breaking their word" is just bizarre on any level and makes no sense. Amazing you actually think people deliberately swear on what you believe is a "false idol" for the specific purpose of later justifying breaking the word. LOL At best it is a comment on the kind of people you personally associate with but nothing else.

A legal oath involves "swearing". And for people of normal IQ and above, it makes complete sense for the person being sworn in to swear his oath on something that person holds in the highest esteem and considers to be of such value to him -as an indication that person takes that oath as a deep and abiding obligation of the highest order since violating that oath would also violate what that individual believes to be of the highest value. As opposed to merely using a very sincere voice to "promise" to do something -while crossing one's fingers behind their back, literally or figuratively.

Whether you personally ALSO hold it in the highest esteem and consider it to be of the greatest value is totally irrelevant to the entire thing and of absolutely no concern to the person being sworn in -or anyone else.

And yet you seem to assume that all people who follow your idols believe JUST like you. How sweetly hypocritical of you that you think 1/8 th the worlds population think exactly like you, and yet I am wrong for repeating and opinion that almost everyone already knows thinking that somehow I would have changed my mind.

Separation of church and state and we have to swore in people on a bible. Take the bible/religion out of government.

Last edited:
Why? That would ultimately be pointless. Really pointless. I think our courts offer alternatives for people of other religions (swearing on other holy books or swearing under threat of perjury).

Do you remember when Marlin Brando would not swear upon the Bible?

Point of the matter, if you can't take a persons word without 'incentive' to do so, then their word is still worthless.

And yet you seem to assume that all people who follow your idols believe JUST like you. How sweetly hypocritical of you that you think 1/8 th the worlds population think exactly like you, and yet I am wrong for repeating and opinion that almost everyone already knows thinking that somehow I would have changed my mind.

I guess the point of what I wrote really went right over your head. Taking an oath on a Bible or Torah or Koran or any other holy book of a religion is an indication of the value being given to that oath by the Christian, Jew or Muslim respectively who is TAKING the oath. Not whether YOU as a listener personally agree with the level of the value that individual has given that holy book. I'm not Jewish, but if a Jew takes an oath on the Torah, I sure as heck take his oath just as seriously as a Christian taking one on a Bible. You seem to think that because YOU don't hold the holy books of any religion in high esteem, it somehow makes that person's oath meaningless to the person taking that oath. Only the value the person taking the oath places on that book matters. Not YOURS. It is as an indication of the seriousness that oath has for the individual taking that oath. It is not intended to try and get YOU to give that book the same value he has for it. If it makes that person's oath meaningless to YOU in spite of knowing the value that person placed on the holy book he swore his oath -that's your own personal problem but it still doesn't make that oath meaningless to the person who took it.

The rest of what you wrote is a little garbled and not clearly expressed. I didn't mention ANYONE else believing what I believe or what you believe -much less 1/8th of the world doing so. Most studies lump non-theists (atheists) in with those who are theists but belong to no religion and have no religious practices -because true atheists are such a tiny fraction of the world. Only about 3-5% in the entire world are flat-out atheist who do not believe in the existence of God, with another 9-11% who are theists but nonreligious - they believe in the existence of God but have no religious practices surrounding that belief. So I don't get where this "1/8th of the world" believing like me has to do with anything here -since I wasn't discussing what I personally believe or what you personally believe or what anyone else in the world believes - about the specific holy book a person uses to take his oath. It is only about what the person taking that oath believes and no one else. Which is why your personal opinion about the value of the particular holy book used -is still irrelevant.

Major Religions Ranked by Size
Demographics of atheism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Forum List

Back