Should NJ lower it's flags to half mast for Whitney Houston?

I really don't think it matters. He sure as hell better do it for fallen service people from his state though.

i don't see why not. She was from NJ, will be buried there, and was a huge part of the music world for a long time before her decline and untimely death. It's NJ honoring one of there own.

I really don't think it matters. He sure as hell better do it for fallen service people from his state though.

i do not disagree with that statement. Although doing it for 'every' fallen service person might be a little difficult. maybe a day specifically to honor ALL fallen NJ native service people by flying the flag at half mast?

i do not disagree with that statement. Although doing it for 'every' fallen service person might be a little difficult. maybe a day specifically to honor ALL fallen NJ native service people by flying the flag at half mast?

Christie recently did it for a NJ Marine killed in Afghanistan

I am pleased to hear that. I'm sure it was well deserved. My condolences to the family of that brave Marine.

Personally, I oppose it

Not because she was a drug user but because her primary contribution was a pop music star

I think putting flags at half staff should be reserved for military, police, firefighters, public servants and not for someone who was just famous

Last edited:
I don't think so. The government is kind of perpetuating a culture obsessed with celebrity, and the woman did exactly lead the type of life tha should be celebrated.

Does this really matter? And i'm sure the OP who started this thread wouldn't even being asking this question if one of their Democrats were Governor of New Jersey. This just isn't important people. Seriously, it isn't.

Last edited:
Personally, I oppose it

Not because she was a drug user but because her primary contribution was a pop music star

I think putting flags at half mast should be reserved for military, police, firefighters, public servants and not for someone who was just famous

Why are public servants deserving and not someone who gave back to their community?
I would rather someone like Huston be honored than and elected official.

Chris Christie criticized for Whitney Houston flag plan

Gov Christie has ordered that all state flags in NJ be lowered to half mast this Saturday to honor Whitney Houston

Is it appropriate?

It is appropriate, although I dont agree with it in this case.

Governors of the several U.S. states or territories are authorized by federal law to order all U.S. and state flags in their jurisdiction flown at half-staff as a mark of respect for a state official or resident who has died. Since a governor's executive order affects only his or her state, not the entire country, these orders are distinguished from presidential proclamations.
Half-staff - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

New York has been doing it for any NY resident killed in either war for years. For a while I used to come to work and wonder why I always saw this flag at half mast time after time. That was the reason.

It's not important, doesn't do any harm, but i would prefer it not be done.

Unless she did a ton of charity work that I'm unaware of, which is possible.

Forum List

Back