Should foreign language be a required to graduate high school?

Should high schools require foreign language???

• Yes

Votes: 24 48.0%
  • Neutral

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 24 48.0%
  • I don't know!

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
USViking said:
For my own experience of five full years Latin and six full
years French the statement above is entirely inaccurate,
and I believe it is really sort of a nostrum in general.

I'm not sure how they taught Latin in your school, but the 4 years I took not only gave me a better understanding of English grammar, but also, at a minimum, quadrupled my vocabulary.

MissileMan said:
I'm not sure how they taught Latin in your school, but the 4 years I took not only gave me a better understanding of English grammar, but also, at a minimum, quadrupled my vocabulary.
I am happy for you, honest.

I think I was taught Latin the way it had been traditionally
taught for centuries. It was successful with many of the other
students in my school. Some of them always got an A,
while I never got better than a C.

I do not blame the teachers or their methods- the failing was
entirely my own.

Hobbit said:
I a global marketplace, knowing at least one foreign language is a virtue, as it smoothes relations with foreign clients. Learning another language also helps to understand your own. The problem is not that it's required, but when it's taught. By high school, most people have firmly rooted themselves in their primary language. However, younger brains are more...malleable in the ways of language. If foreign languages were taught in elementary school, they could be taught faster and more thoroughly, and they would be more likely to retain that knowledge, with high school level courses being more like high school level English courses, concentrating on the subtleties of the language rather than basic syntax and vocabulary.
I agree wholeheartedly with you. I know that I had a slightly easier time in French since I had taken a semester of it when I was in second grade (I just didn't continue French because the teacher was evil...I regret that decision). I know that I'd be much more proficient at German had I begun to learn it at a younger age (but being from Vicksburg, Mississippi, it'd be too logical to offer more than Spanish and French) and if my current German teacher -was- any good at teaching.

Another reason I'd have loved to have more of something like that implemented in elementary schools are simply because I love languages. I love learning them and I love speaking what I have learned. I did when I was introduced to French when I was in second grade and I love the fluidity of some languages and just speaking them.

Other countries require their students to learn English. Now, I suppose you're going to think that I'm going to say, "so what's the point of Americans learning a foreign language?" No, I'm not going to say that. I think Americans should learn a foreign language and the earlier the better. With more and more business being done cross-border, it would make a fantastic impression on someone in another country if the person hired to represent the company in their country could speak their language. Why should it only be one way: that THEY have to speak English. Another language can enrich a person's life. My husband is a native French-speaker and I am so sorry I didn't pay attention to French while in high school.

Chaya said:
Other countries require their students to learn English. Now, I suppose you're going to think that I'm going to say, "so what's the point of Americans learning a foreign language?" No, I'm not going to say that. I think Americans should learn a foreign language and the earlier the better. With more and more business being done cross-border, it would make a fantastic impression on someone in another country if the person hired to represent the company in their country could speak their language. Why should it only be one way: that THEY have to speak English. Another language can enrich a person's life. My husband is a native French-speaker and I am so sorry I didn't pay attention to French while in high school.

1. Other countries are required to teach English because other countries are required to teach English. :) Seriously, a lot of people speak English, many as a second language, so learning English is vital for them.

2. It is great if some people want to learn languages, in fact I encourage it. But for the sake of the curriculum I'd say it shouldn't be required, that's a choice the students should make.

3. Americans getting good jobs cross-border (at least I think you are getting at) just adds to the competitivness of our capitalism. I am on my second year of Spanish, and if it lands me a good job, more power to me. If I didn't take Spoanish in HS, oh well, I missed out. That's no reason to require it though.

4. Yes, foreign languages can enrich people's lives. Many testimonies claim that LSD can enrich lives as well, yet that substance is illegal. I think having a good family enriches my life, others prefer to be completely independant. Forcing kids to learn another language to "enrich their lives" is essentially herding them into a series of mannequins, who believe they are being enriched by forgein language.

ok i stumbled upon this while researching for my middle school debate team but if legal or illegal immagrants come to our country and are forced to learn a language foreign to them shouldn't we learn it for those people who didn't bother or those who just came to america from <insert name of country here> to make it a shit load easier on everyone and it looks good towards an application to college so figure that i voted yes and im proud to have done so

i say no because whats the point of learing a second languague its not like you are going to use anytime soon and hello this is an english speaking country we don't need a second language and not every one has a talent for it so SO SAY NO TO A SECOND LANGUAGE and what if illgeal immagrants cross the boarder they don"t know english so why would they have to learn a second language on top of english

Last edited:
ok i stumbled upon this while researching for my middle school debate team but if legal or illegal immagrants come to our country and are forced to learn a language foreign to them shouldn't we learn it for those people who didn't bother or those who just came to america from <insert name of country here> to make it a shit load easier on everyone and it looks good towards an application to college so figure that i voted yes and im proud to have done so
but the people that come here don't know english they would have to learn 2 foreign languges instaed of one

Last edited:
but the people that come here don't know english they would heve to learn 2 foreien languges instaed of one

yes but if they come here they can take english as one of there foreign languages such as we can with russian latin french spanish and the list goes on

but the people that come here don't know english they would heve to learn 2 foreien languges instaed of one

yes but if they come here they can take english as one of there foreign languages such as we can with russian latin french spanish and the list goes on

they would still have to take 2 second languge classes 1 for high school because they do not teach english and 2 an english class:

Is Spanish foreign? :tongue:

Heck, English already is the global language. Everyone is learning English so what's the point?

yes i would still say it is foreign but on the verg to being a gobal language but you make a good point :clap2:

they would still have to take 2 second languge classes 1 for high school because they do not teach english and 2 an english class:

what do you mean:confused: :wtf:

Should foreign language be a required class to graduate high school??? Its one of those things that older people say you need to succeed in the "job" world... If you think about it, have you guys ever taken such a course in high school? I mean you could, but was it required at all to get into college or to either graduate and finally get out of high school. Nowadays it seems they are pushing us (students) to the limits. They make it required but for real, 99% of us forget about it and its just not worth takin in the first place because this is an english-speaking country, and the last time i checked i'll be going to an english speaking college which i'm willing to pay so much for just to get a degree and get a job. What does everyone think??? Employers are more than welcome to reply....

I took French in highschool, Spanish in college and I am the better for it. In truth, I think a 2nd language should be required in elementary school as it is in Canada, though I think they should be able to choose which language to learn, including American Sign Language.

I had three years of Spanish (required). Of Course, I live on the Texas coast.

I think the problem stems from requiring a "certain" language. For example, many schools I know require two to three years of a foreign language, however, many schools around my area only provide Spanish as a class. I can see the benefits of Spanish because of our area, but I feel like more languages should be available should it be required.

In order to compete globally (which we must to improve the economy ever) we need people who are multi-lingual or we will fail miserably.

In order to compete globally (which we must to improve the economy ever) we need people who are multi-lingual or we will fail miserably.

So far they've adapted to us because we're the biggest consumers by far, but that may change eventually. Maybe if America's economy was based upon tourism we'd need to learn the language of the tourists.

I don't think 2-years, or even 4-years, of foreign language classes in high school is going to make enough of them competent enough to make it worth it. Most people who have taken 2 years of Spanish classes years ago do not speak Spanish well enough for it to be useful. You'd want to start with elementary age kids, and anybody who doesn't use it is going to lose it. Immersion in a culture that primarily speaks that language seems to be necessary.

I'm pretty neutral about it though. I'd still encourage people to take a foreign language since it has benefits beyond communicating with people of that language, but I'm not sure about making it mandatory. I look at it kind of like programming. Taking one C-basic class for my non-computing degrees did not make me a competent programmer by any stretch of the imagination, but it did improve my ability to solve problems and think.

Last edited:
Actually, being the biggest consumers and having too little production is one of the problems, but meh, off topic.

I don't think it's off-topic. Whether knowing a foreign language is useful or not is dependent upon what kind of economy we have. We are a post-industrial nation. I see that as specialization moreso than an evolutionary progression. Though part of my point was that requiring it in high school instead of earlier might not be cost-effective education. Note I edited my reply to add an analogy that explains why I'm still neutral.

So far they've adapted to us because we're the biggest consumers by far, but that may change eventually. Maybe if America's economy was based upon tourism we'd need to learn the language of the tourists.

I don't think 2-years, or even 4-years, of foreign language classes in high school is going to make enough of them competent enough to make it worth it. Most people who have taken 2 years of Spanish classes years ago do not speak Spanish well enough for it to be useful. You'd want to start with elementary age kids, and anybody who doesn't use it is going to lose it. Immersion in a culture that primarily speaks that language seems to be necessary.

I'm pretty neutral about it though. I'd still encourage people to take a foreign language since it has benefits beyond communicating with people of that language, but I'm not sure about making it mandatory. I look at it kind of like programming. Taking one C-basic class for my non-computing degrees did not make me a competent programmer by any stretch of the imagination, but it did improve my ability to solve problems and think.

Exactly, and learning another language in schools helps you learn more about our language. For example, double negatives and never done in English, but they are done in Spanish all the time. English is one of the most difficult languages to learn, in Japanese, a chicken is a chicken, not a hen or a rooster. If it weren't for their 3 written languages, Japanese would be one of the easiest languages to learn.

Music should be taught in school also, no one should graduate high school without knowing a treble clef from a bass clef and how to read music. That doesn't mean they all should be accomplished musicians.

There are just certain things we need for a well rounded education. Of course, the emphasis should be on reading and learning where to go when they want to find something out. Once they learn to read, they can learn anything.

I do however, think our schools should work at making our students bilingual in whatever language they choose. My father used to say..."we have a word for people who speak 3 languages, we call them trilingual. We have a word for people who speak two languages, we call them bilingual. We have a word for people who speak one language, we call them Americans."

Personally, I'm tired of America's substandard educational system.

Forum List

Back