Should Extreme Hater Parents Lose Custody?

i dont get that chanel....i just dont...teaching hate....we avoided that...at all costs...sometimes we had to bite our tongues...but we wanted him to make his own decisions about things

There are people who teach hate, and it's sad. But is that any worse than teaching ignorance? I mean where do you draw the line?

If yes, the entire juvenile population of Israel would have to be placed outside the country!

What is your damage?

racist.jpg

Should parents ever lose custody for extreme emotional abuse? What about the parents involved with the Westboro Baptist Church....should they be allowed to teach such hatred to their children? Can people ever be so far off the reservation, mentally or emotionally, that the government should remove their children?

another tough question, madeline....

part of me says ....."people like this should NOT be allowed to raise children"

and another part says "well...I guess that's the price of freedom in America"

if I have to pick;

I would prefer that people like this NOT be allowed to raise children

the damage they cause goes far beyond the children....

in 20 years their damaged children will be adults....causing problems in society...and raising the NEXT generation of hatefilled children

No. Think of all the Republican children we would have to take care of.

Should parents ever lose custody for extreme emotional abuse? What about the parents involved with the Westboro Baptist Church....should they be allowed to teach such hatred to their children? Can people ever be so far off the reservation, mentally or emotionally, that the government should remove their children?

if I have to pick;

in 20 years their damaged children will be adults....causing problems in society...and raising the NEXT generation of hatefilled children

I guess I did not ask the Op question well. Lemme put it this way.

Could parents ever be so extreme in their hate as to warrant removal of the kids? (Assuming their conduct was otherwise law abiding, etc.)

I gotta tell ya...I have watched that segment on the WBC families. The parents featured had an older child who questioned the church once she reached 18, and not only did they put her out, cut her off, etc. They also taught the little ones to hate her.

I think these people approach a level of hate that is so emotionally damaging to the kids as to justify interfering with custody of their kids. I just cannot come to any conclusions in my own mind as to what guidelines the state would use, or how the parents would ever be allowed to regain custody.

The whole thing upsets me. Kids doomed from age three....it sure does seem as if we ought to do something.

if I have to pick;

I guess I did not ask the Op question well. Lemme put it this way.

Could parents ever be so extreme in their hate as to warrant removal of the kids? (Assuming their conduct was otherwise law abiding, etc.)

I gotta tell ya...I have watched that segment on the WBC families. The parents featured had an older child who questioned the church once she reached 18, and not only did they put her out, cut her off, etc. They also taught the little ones to hate her.

I think these people approach a level of hate that is so emotionally damaging to the kids as to justify interfering with custody of their kids. I just cannot come to any conclusions in my own mind as to what guidelines the state would use, or how the parents would ever be allowed to regain custody.

The whole thing upsets me. Kids doomed from age three....it sure does seem as if we ought to do something.

There is nothing that you can do without causing even greater harm. Someone has to identify what extreme hatred is and that will always be the crux of your problem. You cannot remove children from someone's home because you have different beliefs. There are plenty of children that need to be removed without going down that road that we still need to help.

I would also add that being a ward of the state is not all rainbows and cotton candy. The state makes for some terrible parents and there have been many horror stories from that tragedy.

Remember this story:

A 3-year-old boy named Adolf Hitler and his two Nazi-named younger sisters were removed from their New Jersey home last week and placed in state custody, police said.

Adolf Hitler Campbell and his sisters, JoyceLynn Aryan Nation Campbell and Honszlynn Hinler Jeannie Campbell, were taken from their Holland Township, N.J., home on Friday by the state's Division of Youth and Family Services (DYFS), Sgt. John Harris of the Holland Township Police Department told FOXNews.com.

Young 'Adolf Hitler' and Two Sisters Removed From Home - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

Boy! ~ there's a slippery slope I hope we never go down.

Remember this story:

A 3-year-old boy named Adolf Hitler and his two Nazi-named younger sisters were removed from their New Jersey home last week and placed in state custody, police said.

Adolf Hitler Campbell and his sisters, JoyceLynn Aryan Nation Campbell and Honszlynn Hinler Jeannie Campbell, were taken from their Holland Township, N.J., home on Friday by the state's Division of Youth and Family Services (DYFS), Sgt. John Harris of the Holland Township Police Department told FOXNews.com.

Young 'Adolf Hitler' and Two Sisters Removed From Home - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

Naming your child Adolf Hitler does seem like it would be the tip of an iceberg of other bizarre things.

As far as the original question. I think you really have to tread carefully here. But having social services track the family, do home visits, etc, might not be a bad idea.

Phelps was physically and emotionally very abusive to his family.

Addicted To Hate - The Fred Phelps Story

Mark Phelps feels nauseated whenever he remembers that night. He was hit over 60 times and his brother, Nate, over 200 with a mattock handle. Nate went into shock. Mark didn't. A boy who became a compulsive counter to handle the stress, Mark counted every stroke. His and Nate's. While their father screamed obscenities and his brother screamed in pain. Every 20 strokes, their mother wiped their faces off in the tub. Nate passed out anyway. That was Christmas Day.

Though he believes he should be the next governor of Kansas, Pastor Phelps has never believed in Christmas. A mattock is a pick-hoe using a wooden handle heavier than a bat. Fred swung it with both hands like a ballplayer and with all his might. "The first blow stunned your whole body," says Mark. "By the third blow, your backside was so tender, even the lightest strike was agonizing, but he'd still hit you like he wanted to put it over the fence. By 20, though, you'd have grown numb with pain. That was when my father would quit and start on my brother. Later, when the feeling had returned and it hurt worse than before, he'd do it again. "After 40 strokes, I was weak and nauseous and very pale. My body hurt terribly. Then it was Nate's turn. He got 40 each time. "I staggered to the bathtub where my mom was wetting a towel to swab my face. Behind me, I could hear the mattock and my brother was choking and moaning. He was crying and he wouldn't stop." The voice in the phone halts. After an awkward moment, clearing of throats, it continues: "Then I heard my father shouting my name. My mom was right there, but she wouldn't help me. It hurt so badly during the third beating that I kept wanting to drop so he would hit me in the head. I was hoping I'd be knocked out, or killed...anything to end the pain. "After that...it was waiting that was terrible. You didn't know if, when he was done with Nate, he'd hurt you again. I was shaking in a cold panic. Twenty-five years since it happened, and the same sick feeling in my stomach comes back now..." Did he? Come back to you?

"No. He just kept beating Nate. It went on and on and on. I remember the sharp sound of the blows and how finally my brother stopped screaming... "It was very quiet. All I could think of was would he do that to me now. I could see my brother lying there in shock, and I knew in a moment it would be my turn. "I can't describe the basic animal fear you have in your gut at a time like that. Where someone has complete power over you. And they're hurting you. And there is no escape. No way out. If your mom couldn't help you...I can't explain it to anyone except perhaps a survivor from a POW camp." Last year, Nate Phelps, sixth of Pastor Phelps' 13 children, accused his father of child abuse in the national media. The information was presented as a footnote to the larger story of Fred Phelps' anti-gay campaign. But the deep currents that lie beneath the apparent apple-cheeks of the Phelps' clan were stirring. A series of interviews with Nate resulted in an eyewitness account of life growing up in the Phelps camp. These reports contained allegations of persistent and poisonous child abuse, wife-beating, drug addiction, kidnapping, terrorism, wholesale tax fraud, and business fraud. In addition, Nate described the cult-like disassembly of young adult identities into shadow-souls, using physical and emotional coercion- coercion which may have been a leading factor in the suicide of an emotionally troubled teenage girl.

Monitor them for what? I say if they cannot stop taking the kids to demonstrations and teaching them hate at home, the kids need better parenting.

I don't have much worry about the kids of WBC parents...they problem is in trying to design guidelines for other cases. And as chanel says, there are so many families that might qualify. Where would we put the kids after they are removed?

Forum List

Back