Should Electric Vehicles Pay Road Mtnc Tax?

I never really thought about this before but Texas has. Since EV's don't buy gas, and part of the taxes collected on gasoline go toward road maintenance, should EV owners pay a tax for road maintenance? As more EV's come into the picture and gas cars are phased out, causing less purchases of gasoline and less gas taxes collected, shouldn't all vehicles on the road pay a road maintenance tax?

They absolutely should pay, just like any other user of our roads.

There are a growing number of states talking about taxing vehicles by the mile. The potential for increases in this when enacted is preordained.

but, but, but i did mention

states should be looking at ways to replace the fuel tax
How about this? We put a tax on charging station use. Since it is vehicles which cause road mtnc to be done or needed we shouldn't tax people who don't drive on the road. After all, that would be social injustice, wouldn't it?

How about this? We put a tax on charging station use. Since it is vehicles which cause road mtnc to be done or needed we shouldn't tax people who don't drive on the road. After all, that would be social injustice, wouldn't it?

All they really need do, is put tax on killowat hrs at the charging stations, AND a meter on home charging stations like they have for electric in homes. They then charge for plates by weight, problem solved. There is no way in the world the states or Feds are going to let that tax go away. The only reason they are a little slow implementing this, is they want to convince you an EV is a great deal.

Not social injustice, no. But you can defend the idea. if you wish.

Not social injustice, no. But you can defend the idea. if you wish.
You guys claim that anything that effects blacks to a higher degree than their population percentage is social injustice. Taxing the poor to pay for the rich driving EV's would certainly fall into that category since there are more poor blacks than there are poor whites.

$7500 subsidy to buy? Then $200/yr Tax to drive it. Will take 20 years to recover 1/2 the subsidy? Car is junk by then.

Seems another silly, DemWitted idea.

many people who may not drive benefit from those roads, for mail delivery if nothing else..

off topic : hey indy, my lifetime ban from pf (for "death threats!" ) is totally bogus, but some of my comrades over there might want to know i'm still alive.

many people who may not drive benefit from those roads, for mail delivery if nothing else..

off topic : hey indy, my lifetime ban from pf (for "death threats!" ) is totally bogus, but some of my comrades over there might want to know i'm still alive.
I don't post there much anymore. Every time I do it is a mistake. They are too left over there for me and moderate too heavily. Often times I feel like I'm up alone against a large number of lefties. I can't possibly win any debates with just me going up against several lefties. At least over here I usually have support and backup. Over there you can't even say TDS without getting a warning and my post deleted.

I never really thought about this before but Texas has. Since EV's don't buy gas, and part of the taxes collected on gasoline go toward road maintenance, should EV owners pay a tax for road maintenance? As more EV's come into the picture and gas cars are phased out, causing less purchases of gasoline and less gas taxes collected, shouldn't all vehicles on the road pay a road maintenance tax?

Electric car owners should be charged out the wazoo

Forum List

Back