Should Electric Vehicles Pay Road Mtnc Tax?

Independentthinker

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2015
I never really thought about this before but Texas has. Since EV's don't buy gas, and part of the taxes collected on gasoline go toward road maintenance, should EV owners pay a tax for road maintenance? As more EV's come into the picture and gas cars are phased out, causing less purchases of gasoline and less gas taxes collected, shouldn't all vehicles on the road pay a road maintenance tax?

I never really thought about this before but Texas has. Since EV's don't buy gas, and part of the taxes collected on gasoline go toward road maintenance, should EV owners pay a tax for road maintenance? As more EV's come into the picture and gas cars are phased out, causing less purchases of gasoline and less gas taxes collected, shouldn't all vehicles on the road pay a road maintenance tax?

Yup. They need to pay their fair share.

In fact, because EVs are so expensive and only the rich can afford, a luxury road tax seems appropriate.

They still do, they have to pay more for their license plates. I pay $150 a year, in Illinois, and EV users pay $250. The state government initially tried to make it $1000 but that was later dropped.

As noted many states already enact this tax. In WV I believe it's $200.

I have no problem with that. Roads do need maintenence.

If you assume NY's gas tax, at 0.66 cents per gallon, 25 MPG and 10000 miles per year, an ICE vehicle owner would pay $264 per year in gas taxes JUST to NY State, so the $200 would be close.

Road maintenance has nothing to do with gas or electric. It has everything to do with wear and tear. So unless evs weigh nothing and don't actually touch the road they should have to pay it.

Infact electric vehicles should have to pay more maintenance fees because they weigh more. More weight means more road wear and tear. And batteries weigh a lot.

On average say the f150 ev weighs 1000lbs more than a non electric f150.

electric vehicles are lighter than red state "coal burners" and easier on the highways.

states should be looking at ways to reolace the fuel tax, but until we get more electric on the road, raise the gas tax to incentivize the changeover

Taxes should be based on vehicle weight and the tires it uses.
Yes, because some own a little lightweight vehicle, like a Honda Fit, which has very small and light tires. When someone modifies and/or adds larger wheels and tires/accessories the vehicle gets heavier. The most ridiculous EV is the Hummer @ #9000 lbs. The battery alone is as heavy as a small car. When your reg is due the vehicle needs to be re-weighed to determine the tax.

They weigh more, and the govt. allows them an extra 2,000# weight, which still doesn't make up for the difference, so they will be harder on the roads. They also cost three time more and have no resale value at the moment. Big EV commercial trucks won't be a thing. The Range is too short and the recharge times too long, in addition to hauling a few tons less in freight capacity. A recent WSJ has an extensive section on why we aren't going all electric any time soon.

Taxes should be based on mileage and taxes on electrical consumption can be levied same as on fuel re commercial vehicles. They aren't feasible without giant corporate welfare subsidies, and never will be.

In fact, because EVs are so expensive and only the rich can afford, a luxury road tax seems appropriate.

Yes. Most EV owners park them in the same garage they park their BMW SUV's and Lincoln town cars.

Of course, not paying buyers and manufacturers huge sums of taxpayer money would take car of the EV problem right away. No market at all for them without the big handouts.

electric vehicles are lighter than red state "coal burners" and easier on the highways.

states should be looking at ways to reolace the fuel tax, but until we get more electric on the road, raise the gas tax to incentivize the changeover
but but but, if everyone had an ev no taxes would be collected for road mtnc

So, you are admitting that the rich will be the only ones who can afford cars while the 99%'rs will have to walk, ride bikes, or take mass transit.

They still do, they have to pay more for their license plates. I pay $150 a year, in Illinois, and EV users pay $250. The state government initially tried to make it $1000 but that was later dropped.
but that doesn't go for road mtnc

The car/light truck road taxes should be set on weight and size of the vehicle. Same as a heavy vehicle road tax.
I've also noted that pick up trucks seem to be the worst offenders when it comes to littering our highways. Crap is always blowing out the back of them. I constantly see owners throwing trash in the back of their pickups and then driving on down the road. I bet in most cases, the trash is gone by the time they get home.

They weigh more, and the govt. allows them an extra 2,000# weight, which still doesn't make up for the difference, so they will be harder on the roads. They also cost three time more and have no resale value at the moment. Big EV commercial trucks won't be a thing. The Range is too short and the recharge times too long, in addition to hauling a few tons less in freight capacity. A recent WSJ has an extensive section on why we aren't going all electric any time soon.

Taxes should be based on mileage and taxes on electrical consumption can be levied same as on fuel re commercial vehicles. They aren't feasible without giant corporate welfare subsidies, and never will be.

A person would be stupid to buy a used EV. They're already kind of stupid for buying a new one.

Forum List

Back