Zone1 Should college professors be committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in order to be hired by a university?

Should college professors be committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in order to be hired by a university?​

Private Institutions? Not sure I would spend any precious time worrying about their hiring practices, standards, etc unless of course i was planning on using them in some way. Even then, I'd go with how they're rated on what they do.

Is a university about learning, or about bringing in money? YOu are contradicting yourself.

I know, man, ever since Jamal stuffed you into that locker, and your girlfriend laughed at you, you've not gotten over it.
Universities need money to operate. High paying sports programs and legacies are two ways to get that money. For the students University is about learning, for the administration it's about having jibs and benefits. Places like the Ivy League universities have funds build up over a century or more from donations and profits to fund their operations. Keeping those donations flowing in is a major part of the administration's responsibilities.

Diversity statements stir campus debate. by​

by MICHAEL POWELL​

New York Times

September 9, 2023​

Diversity statements are a new flashpoint on campus, just as the Supreme Court has driven a stake through race-conscious admissions. Nearly half the large universities in America require that job applicants write such statements, part of the rapid growth in DEI programs. Many University of California departments now require that faculty members seeking promotions and tenure also write such statements.​

Diversity statements tend to run about a page or so long and ask candidates to describe how they would contribute to campus diversity, often seeking examples of how the faculty member has fostered an inclusive or anti-racist learning environment.​

------------​

Requiring college professors to be committed to diversity, inclusion, and equity reminds me of the loyalty oaths required of many during the McCarthy Era. They strike me as a violation of academic freedom.​

What do you think?​

Anyone being hired should be employed because of their skills, credentials, work history etc. they should also be fair to every student.

Universities need money to operate. High paying sports programs and legacies are two ways to get that money. For the students University is about learning, for the administration it's about having jibs and benefits. Places like the Ivy League universities have funds build up over a century or more from donations and profits to fund their operations. Keeping those donations flowing in is a major part of the administration's responsibilities.

Uh, these universities charge nearly six figures for a four-year degree. The only reason why sports programs exist- for the most part - is because of the stupidity of Title IX insisting schools have sports teams for girls that no one is interested in. College costs so much these days because the universities are in an arms race to have the fanciest facilities to attract the biggest bucks in tuition.

This is why we need diversity in admissions and staffing; otherwise, colleges become an overpriced white boys club that perpetuates white privilege.

Frankly, I'd like to see a happy day when the college bubble bursts and most employers realize a degree is just a piece of paper. I got a lot more out of my time in the army than I got out of college, but the main reason I joined the army was to pay for college.

Uh, these universities charge nearly six figures for a four-year degree. The only reason why sports programs exist- for the most part - is because of the stupidity of Title IX insisting schools have sports teams for girls that no one is interested in. College costs so much these days because the universities are in an arms race to have the fanciest facilities to attract the biggest bucks in tuition.

This is why we need diversity in admissions and staffing; otherwise, colleges become an overpriced white boys club that perpetuates white privilege.

Frankly, I'd like to see a happy day when the college bubble bursts and most employers realize a degree is just a piece of paper. I got a lot more out of my time in the army than I got out of college, but the main reason I joined the army was to pay for college.
You've finally said something I agree with "I got a lot more out of my time in the army than I got out of college...". The vast majority of college majors and even classes are a waste of time and money.

You've finally said something I agree with "I got a lot more out of my time in the army than I got out of college...". The vast majority of college majors and even classes are a waste of time and money.
Not the vast majority, but a clear majority. Those who love the liberal arts and the social sciences like I do should study them on their own, for free, in public libraries.

Any formal education after high school needs to be job and career oriented. It should also be practical. If you want to be a novelist, don't major in literature. If you want to be an actor or an actress, don't major in drama. If you want to be a singer song writer, don't major in music.

Major in what you can do if your dreams do not come true. Look for a field where there are more openings than people qualified to fill the openings. Look for a field that is not specialized, and one that does not change rapidly.

Not the vast majority, but a clear majority. Those who love the liberal arts and the social sciences like I do should study them on their own, for free, in public libraries.

Any formal education after high school needs to be job and career oriented. It should also be practical. If you want to be a novelist, don't major in literature. If you want to be an actor or an actress, don't major in drama. If you want to be a singer song writer, don't major in music.

Major in what you can do if your dreams do not come true. Look for a field where there are more openings than people qualified to fill the openings. Look for a field that is not specialized, and one that does not change rapidly.
Okay, the devil officially needs some ice skates. I agree with this post as well.

Um, wow... that was kind of dumb, even for you, Hector.

We'd lose a lot if our universities just became factories to produce technical workers.

Here's the reality- I have a pretty useless major. History. Probably only useful if I were going to teach. (My original career plan was career military as a commissioned officer, but that didn't happen). But a four-year degree tells an employer that you can commit to a project and complete it. Nothing more, nothing less.

I have a much better idea.

National service for everyone over the age of 18, for two years. After completion of national service, you get a free ride to the college or trade school of your choice.

Um, wow... that was kind of dumb, even for you, Hector.

We'd lose a lot if our universities just became factories to produce technical workers.

Here's the reality- I have a pretty useless major. History. Probably only useful if I were going to teach. (My original career plan was career military as a commissioned officer, but that didn't happen). But a four-year degree tells an employer that you can commit to a project and complete it. Nothing more, nothing less.

I have a much better idea.

National service for everyone over the age of 18, for two years. After completion of national service, you get a free ride to the college or trade school of your choice.
Will you please stop making posts that make sense. You are going to give me a stroke or heart attack.

Forum List

Back