Shooting in Dublin, automatic weapons and pistols...but...but...gun control?

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
Yes...this story was brought to my attention by Missourian...thanks. So I am posting it to point out again that criminals get guns easily, and that gun control keeps guns out of the hands of normal gun owners...the people who don't use guns to commit crimes......

Gun control does nothing to stop actual criminals..

And another example here......European criminals prefer fully automatic weapons....

Disguised attackers kill 1, injure 2 at Dublin hotel - CNN.com

(CNN)Gunmen, including two disguised as police and another one as a woman, burst into a Dublin hotel on Friday and opened fire during a weigh-in for a boxing match, killing one person, Irish police said.

In a statement, police said authorities were investigating a shooting that occurred at about 2:30 p.m. "at the Regency Hotel, Swords Road, Dublin 9." Authorities said they believe shots were fired inside and outside the weigh-in room, but investigations are continuing.

The BBC showed video, taken by a spectator, of a boxer and others scrambling for safety.

Organizers of Saturday's "Clash of the Clans" at the National Stadium subsequently canceled the boxing event.

The shooting was not an act of terrorism, a police representative told CNN. Investigators are looking into whether it is gang-related.

When emergency workers arrived, they found three injured men. One of the men, described as being in his 30s, was pronounced dead.

Two of the attackers wore helmets and SWAT-style uniforms, police said. They had automatic weapons.

Two others had handguns. One was disguised as a woman with an auburn wig. The second was described as stocky and wearing a beige cap.

This is the article I received from Missourian..thanks again...

Can anyone tell me....are Boxing Weigh Ins Gun Free Zones in Ireland?

Dublin shooting: Gunmen shoot boxing fans at Regency Hotel

Mel Christle, president of the Boxing Union of Ireland, said the gunfire started within seconds of the final weigh-in ceremony. He said he saw one gunman, holding a handgun and dressed as a woman, flee through the crowd as two others dressed as policemen opened fire in the lobby. Other witnesses said at least one of those attackers was armed with an assault rifle.

Witnesses in the lobby said both attackers disguised as police carried assault rifles.

Kevin McAnena, a sports reporter for BBC Radio Foyle in Northern Ireland, said he dove behind the reception desk for cover when one of the gunmen fired an initial crippling shot into the leg of the man who was ultimately killed.

McAnena said one of the gunmen peered over the desk and aimed his rifle at him, but didn't fire.

"I was looking down the barrel of the gun and thought I was going to die. It was utterly terrifying," he said.

But......they have gun control in Ireland....and Island nation....

Guns in Ireland — Firearms, gun law and gun control

Gun FactsFull Article
Guns in the Republic of Ireland
Ireland has some of the least permissive firearm legislation in Europe. In order to possess a limited range of hunting and sport-shooting firearms,1 gun owners must renew their firearm certificates every three years.2 3 Although small arms-related death, injury and crime remain relatively low, rising rates of gun violence and firearm ownership in the Republic ― in particular the possession and misuse of handguns ― have become sources of national concern.4 In 2009, the private possession of handguns was curtailed. Licensing of all pistols and revolvers using centrefire ammunition was capped through 'grandfathering,' with new licences restricted to a limited range of small-calibre .22 rimfire handguns and .177 air pistols.3 5 The possession and use of realistic imitation firearms in a public place is prohibited.6 7 Ireland is an active supporter of the United Nations process to reduce gun injury (UNPoA).8

Check it out....this story on the shooting has a photo of two of the assassins running away, one dressed as a woman...they both have illegal handguns.....hmmmmm...they really shouldn't have those...don't they realize that owning and carrying those guns is illegal in Ireland?

When Guns Are Outlawed...

Two of the murderers were dressed as Irish Police and armed with AK-47 variants.

One of the assassins (left) was disguised as a woman with a bad wig.

The retaliation murder is an escalation of a conflict that started with the murder of a rival gang member hiding in Spain last September. The Irish police (the Garda) are concerned that the brutal public nature of the killing in front of hundreds of witnesses will trigger an all-out gang war.

The Garda thinks that they have identified three of the six assassins already thanks ot photos taken by bystanders, but finding and arresting them may be a whole other issue entirely.

What's Ireland's murder rate again?

Yeah......that doesn't matter......what matters is wether or not the low murder rate is due to gun control...and it is not. The criminals in Europe, specifically Britain, France, and Ireland in this case get whatever guns they want...obviously from the photos that are in the last post..........

What keeps their gun murder rate lower than ours...their criminal sub-culture does not murder each other as often as ours do...it is as simple as that.

Gun control laws do not stop gun crime. So disarming normal gun owners does nothing to the gun crime rate...but it does increase crime against those disarmed citizens.....see Britain for that....

90% of our gun murderers have criminal convictions.....90% of our gun murder victims have at least one criminal conviction and 70% have more than one......

Our criminal sub culture murders each other more than other criminal sub cultures and if you don't focus on the actual criminals then you aren't going to lower our gun murder rate.

Keep focusing on normal gun owners, the people who don't use guns to commit crime, and you will not lower gun violence.

Yeah......that doesn't matter......what matters is wether or not the low murder rate is due to gun control...and it is not. The criminals in Europe, specifically Britain, France, and Ireland in this case get whatever guns they want...obviously from the photos that are in the last post..........

What keeps their gun murder rate lower than ours...their criminal sub-culture does not murder each other as often as ours do...it is as simple as that.

Gun control laws do not stop gun crime. So disarming normal gun owners does nothing to the gun crime rate...but it does increase crime against those disarmed citizens.....see Britain for that....

90% of our gun murderers have criminal convictions.....90% of our gun murder victims have at least one criminal conviction and 70% have more than one......

Our criminal sub culture murders each other more than other criminal sub cultures and if you don't focus on the actual criminals then you aren't going to lower our gun murder rate.

Keep focusing on normal gun owners, the people who don't use guns to commit crime, and you will not lower gun violence.
What's their murder rate? Why won't you tell us?

Irish citizens may not own handgun for self-defense, and there are no concealed carry permits in the country, and less than 2,000 legally registered handguns of any kind. There are 177,000 sporting shotguns and 54,000 registered hunting rifles in Ireland, and authorities think their are another 150,000 unregistered firearms.

If these gangs do go into an open war as some fear, there is little or nothing that the Irish people can do to defend themselves, other than ran and hide.

So, did these laws stop these assassins?

What's their murder rate? Why won't you tell us?

I don't know and it isn't relevant. Criminals in Ireland get guns when they want them.

There is one thing for sure....not one law abiding Irish citizen had a gun at that boxing weigh in...so yes, gun control laws in Ireland worked....the people who don't use guns for crime did not have guns....when the actual criminals with fully auto weapons came in and started shooting.

Irish citizens may not own handgun for self-defense, and there are no concealed carry permits in the country, and less than 2,000 legally registered handguns of any kind. There are 177,000 sporting shotguns and 54,000 registered hunting rifles in Ireland, and authorities think their are another 150,000 unregistered firearms.

If these gangs do go into an open war as some fear, there is little or nothing that the Irish people can do to defend themselves, other than ran and hide.

What is it? 1/5 of the U.S.'s? 1/6? I need you to tell me the exact rate before I can calculate.

Bout the same as Utahs. Point???
No it's half as much as Utah's. What was your point?

So, the Irish police fear a gang war......how is that possible exactly? They have gun control in Ireland...so their criminals can't get guns..right? Except for the fully automatic rifles and the pistols that the assassins used..right?
The overwhelming majority of their criminals couldn't get guns. Leading to their homicide which was.... what was it again?

What is it? 1/5 of the U.S.'s? 1/6? I need you to tell me the exact rate before I can calculate.

Irrelevant numbers are just that, irrelevant.......if you want to trade Irish criminals for American criminals to reduce our gun crime rate...sure...let's do it....

That is how they keep their gun murder rate low. Gun control laws in Ireland do not keep their gun murder rate low.

The culture of the criminal sub-culture determines gun violence levels.....

I know you anti gun types cannot allow that truth, fact and reality to get out.....because you just want to take guns out of the hands of people who don't use them to commit crimes.....

But it is the truth, the fact and the reality....gun control does not lower the gun crime rate.

So, the Irish police fear a gang war......how is that possible exactly? They have gun control in Ireland...so their criminals can't get guns..right? Except for the fully automatic rifles and the pistols that the assassins used..right?
The overwhelming majority of their criminals couldn't get guns. Leading to their homicide which was.... what was it again?

Wrong.....again....since they obviously got fully automatic rifles, and as many pistols as they needed.....and during the "Troubles" they also got all the weapons they wanted.

Taking guns away from normal people didn't lower their gun crime rate.

Irrelevant numbers are just that, irrelevant.......if you want to trade Irish criminals for American criminals to reduce our gun crime rate...sure...let's do it....

That is how they keep their gun murder rate low. Gun control laws in Ireland do not keep their gun murder rate low.

The culture of the criminal sub-culture determines gun violence levels.....

I know you anti gun types cannot allow that truth, fact and reality to get out.....because you just want to take guns out of the hands of people who don't use them to commit crimes.....

But it is the truth, the fact and the reality....gun control does not lower the gun crime rate.

What country has the highest murder rate in the developed world again?

Wrong.....again....since they obviously got fully automatic rifles, and as many pistols as they needed.....and during the "Troubles" they also got all the weapons they wanted.

Taking guns away from normal people didn't lower their gun crime rate.
You're saying the overwhelming majority of criminals in Ireland did have guns?

And here you go....gun crime is up in Ireland....21%...but their murder rate is down....their gun crime is based on their criminals sub culture, not their gun control laws....

Latest statistics show increase in gun crime

Possession of a firearm increased by 21 per cent to 214 cases in the 12-month period to the end of June, compared to the 12-month period to the end of June last year.

It may suggest resurgence in gun crime after a sharp decline since the 2007-2008 period when the drugs trade collapsed along with the wider economy.

However, the latest data also reveals cases of discharging a firearm were down by two per cent.

Forum List

Back