Shit

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by brewerboy, Jun 1, 2009.

1. brewerboy

brewerboy Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Time to go see the Hearing Doctor guy.

The Army wasnt the biggest fan of my hearing abilities.

At an old job I worked, where I was around loud machines all shift, the noise didnt bother me as much as my co-workers to the point that I didnt feel the need for ear-plugs.

The tip of the iceberg was today when I was watching "Wyatt Earp". I found myself continuously turning up the volume, even for the parts with shoot-outs.

I'm one of those stubborn fuckers who doesnt go to the hospital unless I'm dying, so my family knew it was bad when I told em I was going.

Shit!

2. We Are They

We Are They BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19
    "...during the shootouts..." lol, oops, I mean sorry!
    Watch out also for one of the worst inventions for the ears, iPods. Having children constantly sticking those earbuds in their ears is going to make a whole generation of kids who can't hear properly. I don't let my kids have those.

3. Tinktink

Tinktink Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23
    My mother was like you with her hearing. She refused (more so for vanity reasons) to get a hearing aid. If you pulled up to her house you could here Dr. Phil blaring outside, and she watches it in her bedroom which is in the back of the house. Finally, we convinced her to do it. She loves it. She says all those years I missed out on hearing clearly. It will be a good thing for you. Not to mention now when someone says, how are ya, maybe you won't respond with 46. (My mom use to do that, because she couldn't hear clear enough to realize they weren't asking her age, half the city knows her age now). haha.

4. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    my guess: you have burst your ear drums..maybe thru loud noise or infections as a child....you do not hear certian ranges of sound...that causes you to turn up the volume..well so does not hearing...good news not shit that can be done about it...aid wont help...but maybe i am wrong....

are your biggest troubles in pubic with a lot of background noise?

5. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    o btw a lot of people dont wear hearing aids because they do not help...if you have range problems...aids just turn up the background noise..

6. We Are They

We Are They BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19
    My grandfather thought he was partially deaf and after about 30 years he went to the doctor and they cleaned his ears! Afterwards he could hear normally for his age. I'm not making that up.

7. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    Was your hearing damaged during your time in the army? Because if it was, they will pay for hearing aids, tests, etc...but you have to prove that your hearing was ok when you went it, that you were around things that went "boom!" and it was it didn't start going until after that....

8. brewerboy

brewerboy Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I never made it in the Army.

Things were sidetracked and at about that time my fathers health started going rapidly downhill, so I decided it would be best if I stuck around. His arthritis also seemed to cause him more pain, to the point where he couldnt open a peanut butter jar or vacuum the carpet.

If I wasnt a father now, I'd still consider it.

9. brewerboy

brewerboy Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I did have ear infections as a small child, I had to have drainage tubes in my ears for awhile.

Background noise is a problem for me...but then again, if you're more than 15 feet away from me and I'm not looking at you, you may as well count on repeating what you've just said.

10. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    I assume this was before noise-canceling headphones were available at Walgreens?