Sheriff Joe on the hot seat.

This is nothing but a politcal move on the part of the Justice Department

Burke, who most recently held the position of Senior Advisor to Department of Homeland
Security Secretary Janet Napolitano, will lead one of the largest U.S. Attorney’s Offices in the
country.
The office currently employs approximately 300 personnel in four locations (Phoenix,
Tucson, Flagstaff and Yuma) and serves more than 8 million residents throughout the entire state of
Arizona, including the residents on all 22 Indian nations.
http://www.justice.gov/usao/az/press_releases/2009/2009-299(Burke).pdf

So let me see if I understand this, the former Gov. who ran the state into the ground by the way and is now Director of homeland Security and has a record for the most vetos of any Gov. on record here in Arizona and further has a terrible record on immigration , one of her staff is now the same Attorney that is driving this case. Yes, this is ALLLLL ABOUT civil rights I'm sure.!!!!!!!!!! One thing people do not seem to understand that in order to secure a convition here in this state on Sheriff Joe you would need to take it to California to get one, because people here support the enforcement of the law as the Sheriff is doing even if the Federal Govt. does not.

IF ALL he has done is enforced the law, then I would say he has nothing to worry about...

Navy lives in Phoenix, and I live in northern Arizona. Sherriff joe is the most popular political figure in the state. There are numerous local articles and radio reports about sheririff joe here.
I don't know how to go about linking all the info.
Through the years he has been a controversial figure. One thing that pitted janet napalotano and him against each other is the fact the when she was attorney general, she refused to enforce the law against polygamists taking young girls as their wives. He investigated her, probly still is investigating knowing joe's nature.
Janet reno and clinton tried this very same thing against joe, and the grand jury found that joe was not breaking the law. By that time the media reports around the country and lunatics who came here from the east coast to protest at tent city had succeeded in making him one of the most controversial political figures in the country.
Everyone I know that has been locked up in the tent city jail deserved it, and some are so afraid of going back they have either reformed or won't go into Maricopa county.
Every county in the usa should have a sherriff like Joe Arpio.

Navy lives in Phoenix, and I live in northern Arizona. Sherriff joe is the most popular political figure in the state. There are numerous local articles and radio reports about sheririff joe here.
I don't know how to go about linking all the info.
Through the years he has been a controversial figure. One thing that pitted janet napalotano and him against each other is the fact the when she was attorney general, she refused to enforce the law against polygamists taking young girls as their wives. He investigated her, probly still is investigating knowing joe's nature.
Janet reno and clinton tried this very same thing against joe, and the grand jury found that joe was not breaking the law. By that time the media reports around the country and lunatics who came here from the east coast to protest at tent city had succeeded in making him one of the most controversial political figures in the country.
Everyone I know that has been locked up in the tent city jail deserved it, and some are so afraid of going back they have either reformed or won't go into Maricopa county.
Every county in the usa should have a sherriff like Joe Arpio.

What law has the Sheriff broken Care? if you mean enforcing laws that people break that is what he was elected to do. Give you an example, lets say for a moment that a person in Texas robs the local bank branch there, they have committed a Federal crime and they come to Phoenix and are stopped by the Sheriff. What the Federal Govt. is telling the Sheriff not to do is arrest that person because that is out of the Sheriffs jurisdiction as is the case with Illegal Aliens who have have broken the law by entering this country illegally. As to being investigated I find it interesting that all of the sudden he is facing a Federal Grand Jury on an issue that the MCSO has beein doing for years and this investigation did not come into being until our former Gov. staff member , now the newly appointed Federal Atty. for this area decided to make it one.

I never said he broke any laws, I asked you a question or two...

Where is ALL of this opinion and information of YOURS coming from Navy? I read the article you linked and NONE of this crud is in the article you linked?

Is this ALL just your opinion or is there a link out there that you have read that you did not link to... that we can read, to be on the same level ground as you on the topic?

Care, it's rather like this, I would not dare to begin to understand Maine politics locally other than what I read about it and gather from it. Here however, when you have seen the relationship between our former Gov. and the Sheriff, you don't really need to read a lot to understand what this is all about.

Much of the money for Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio's immigration-enforcement efforts lately has poured out of a special pool of state money.

But New Times has learned that Governor Janet Napolitano's turning off the spigot.

In what appears to be a prelude to a major fight between Napolitano and Arpaio, the governor issued an executive order last week to develop a new task force--headed up by the state Department of Public Safety--to find and arrest tens of thousands of felons with outstanding warrants.

And, according to a letter from DPS Director Roger Vanderpool to Arpaio outlining the new effort, the task force will be funded with the money that Arpaio isn't getting anymore...
Janet Napolitano blocks Sheriff Joe Arpaio's funding for immigration enforcement

Whats interesting here is that after our former Gov, when she was US Attorney investigated the Sheriff, around 2002 when she was running for re-election she needed his support to win. You would also have to understand the nature of the repationship between those two and Phoenix mayor Phil Gordon who has told Phoenix PD that Phoenix is a sanctuary city and has called for Federal investigations of the Sheriff

This has not been a good year for Phil Gordon. He has had personal issues dogging him, his Phoenix Police union publicly expressing discontent with his hand-tying policies and Sheriff Joe Arpaio nipping at his heels. His poll numbers are tanking at 42 percent, and now, Gordon is the target of a recall effort by American Citizens United.

American Citizens United spokeswoman Anna Gaines says supporters are angry that Phoenix police do not have unconditional authority to call Immigration and Customs Enforcement when they encounter a suspected illegal immigrant.
Recall effort targets Phoenix’s “Sanctuary City” Mayor Phil Gordon « Seeing Red AZ

This care is a politcal move on the part of the justice department and nothing more , supported by those who DO NOT want to enforce federal law and see people like Sheriff Joe as getting in the way of that. The problem is, that Sheriff Joe would likely be re-elected anyway regardless of what the Justice Department and our former Gov. do.

What law has the Sheriff broken Care? if you mean enforcing laws that people break that is what he was elected to do. Give you an example, lets say for a moment that a person in Texas robs the local bank branch there, they have committed a Federal crime and they come to Phoenix and are stopped by the Sheriff. What the Federal Govt. is telling the Sheriff not to do is arrest that person because that is out of the Sheriffs jurisdiction as is the case with Illegal Aliens who have have broken the law by entering this country illegally. As to being investigated I find it interesting that all of the sudden he is facing a Federal Grand Jury on an issue that the MCSO has beein doing for years and this investigation did not come into being until our former Gov. staff member , now the newly appointed Federal Atty. for this area decided to make it one.

Where is ALL of this opinion and information of YOURS coming from Navy? I read the article you linked and NONE of this crud is in the article you linked?

Is this ALL just your opinion or is there a link out there that you have read that you did not link to... that we can read, to be on the same level ground as you on the topic?

Care, it's rather like this, I would not dare to begin to understand Maine politics locally other than what I read about it and gather from it. Here however, when you have seen the relationship between our former Gov. and the Sheriff, you don't really need to read a lot to understand what this is all about.

Much of the money for Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio's immigration-enforcement efforts lately has poured out of a special pool of state money.

But New Times has learned that Governor Janet Napolitano's turning off the spigot.

In what appears to be a prelude to a major fight between Napolitano and Arpaio, the governor issued an executive order last week to develop a new task force--headed up by the state Department of Public Safety--to find and arrest tens of thousands of felons with outstanding warrants.

And, according to a letter from DPS Director Roger Vanderpool to Arpaio outlining the new effort, the task force will be funded with the money that Arpaio isn't getting anymore...
Janet Napolitano blocks Sheriff Joe Arpaio's funding for immigration enforcement

Whats interesting here is that after our former Gov, when she was US Attorney investigated the Sheriff, around 2002 when she was running for re-election she needed his support to win. You would also have to understand the nature of the repationship between those two and Phoenix mayor Phil Gordon who has told Phoenix PD that Phoenix is a sanctuary city and has called for Federal investigations of the Sheriff

This has not been a good year for Phil Gordon. He has had personal issues dogging him, his Phoenix Police union publicly expressing discontent with his hand-tying policies and Sheriff Joe Arpaio nipping at his heels. His poll numbers are tanking at 42 percent, and now, Gordon is the target of a recall effort by American Citizens United.

American Citizens United spokeswoman Anna Gaines says supporters are angry that Phoenix police do not have unconditional authority to call Immigration and Customs Enforcement when they encounter a suspected illegal immigrant.
Recall effort targets Phoenix’s “Sanctuary City” Mayor Phil Gordon « Seeing Red AZ

This care is a politcal move on the part of the justice department and nothing more , supported by those who DO NOT want to enforce federal law and see people like Sheriff Joe as getting in the way of that. The problem is, that Sheriff Joe would likely be re-elected anyway regardless of what the Justice Department and our former Gov. do.

OK, so there is alot more to this that was NOT in your link! :lol:

Do you think the mexican woman arrested for shoplifting i believe, should have been kept shackled during childbirth? That seems illegal to me.... :(

Care I will say this, that some of the things that have happened at the Jail here , the Sheriff has been held to task on by the Justice Department and in fact a few years ago none other than our former Gov. was touting our jail along side the Sheriff. Personally, I don't think a women giving birth is all that much of a risk for flight but from what I understand it's pretty common for prisoners to be cuffed while getting medical care. Does it rise to the level of being illegal, honestly I can't say, a little dumb yes, but them again if we started putting people in jail for being dumb our nation would be an awful empty place.

Care I will say this, that some of the things that have happened at the Jail here , the Sheriff has been held to task on by the Justice Department and in fact a few years ago none other than our former Gov. was touting our jail along side the Sheriff. Personally, I don't think a women giving birth is all that much of a risk for flight but from what I understand it's pretty common for prisoners to be cuffed while getting medical care. Does it rise to the level of being illegal, honestly I can't say, a little dumb yes, but them again if we started putting people in jail for being dumb our nation would be an awful empty place.

well, if i were arrested for shoplifting and forced to give birth with shaclkes on, you can bet your bottom dollar i would not rest until the sheriff lost his job, in the very least!

well, if i were arrested for shoplifting and forced to give birth with shaclkes on, you can bet your bottom dollar i would not rest until the sheriff lost his job, in the very least!
I would be one of the voters telling you that you should have not been breaking the law. Shop lifting is theft and an illegal act. The woman should have very well known this when she did it.

Somehow I don't doubt that for one second Care, I imagine that the many people that work on the chain gangs here have felt the same way. While I really cannot comment on the facts of that particular case, it is a little dumb to keep them on someone giving birth and am not sure if thats a policy or not. Overall though the residents here tend to agree with the Sheriff in that they want the jail to be tough not abusive mind you , but not a place where people sit around and suck on taxpayers and watch TV without paying some price for comitting a crime and for the most part people here see the Sheriffs jail as reflective of that. As for the illegal thing, I fully support the Sheriff arresting illegals as I would him arresting anyone who is suspected of committing a crime. I submit that the Feds cannot have it both ways, on the one hand expect the Sheriffs office to enforce laws like bank robbery and other Federal crimes and ignore others. If they do not want the Sheriff to enforce the law then I suggest trying to make it lawful for anyone to enter this nation however they wish and see how well that goes over.

I would be one of the voters telling you that you should have not been breaking the law. Shop lifting is theft and an illegal act. The woman should have very well known this when she did it.

yes, it is against the law and there are LEGAL punishments for committing crimes....forcing someone to deliver while shackled IS NOT one of them, as far as i know or are you saying sheriffs can just go all ROGUE on the person and do what they wish, whenever they wish, regardless?

Somehow, I don't think being shackled was part of her punishment once convicted.

Somehow I don't doubt that for one second Care, I imagine that the many people that work on the chain gangs here have felt the same way. While I really cannot comment on the facts of that particular case, it is a little dumb to keep them on someone giving birth and am not sure if thats a policy or not. Overall though the residents here tend to agree with the Sheriff in that they want the jail to be tough not abusive mind you , but not a place where people sit around and suck on taxpayers and watch TV without paying some price for comitting a crime and for the most part people here see the Sheriffs jail as reflective of that. As for the illegal thing, I fully support the Sheriff arresting illegals as I would him arresting anyone who is suspected of committing a crime. I submit that the Feds cannot have it both ways, on the one hand expect the Sheriffs office to enforce laws like bank robbery and other Federal crimes and ignore others. If they do not want the Sheriff to enforce the law then I suggest trying to make it lawful for anyone to enter this nation however they wish and see how well that goes over.

I am not against this sheriff or any sheriff arresting those who break the law, including illegals and/or deporting them back to their own country. Just stay within the law and don't go Rogue...

I am not against this sheriff or any sheriff arresting those who break the law, including illegals and/or deporting them back to their own country. Just stay within the law and don't go Rogue...

He is not as rogue as many would like you to think he is Care, he is very tough though on people that break the law thats true and a little bit of a media hound but beyond that he has done a good job of doing something that the Phoenix mayor won't do. Many just want to use this as an excuse to stop arresting illegals and let the issue go unchecked here like it does in California and the Sheriff is having none of that.

yes, it is against the law and there are LEGAL punishments for committing crimes....forcing someone to deliver while shackled IS NOT one of them, as far as i know or are you saying sheriffs can just go all ROGUE on the person and do what they wish, whenever they wish, regardless?
If you are arrested in a county for theft were shackles/handcuffs are used you put yourself into the position of being under arrest, your problem not someone else's problem. Do I go for rogue sheriffs, NO! We have one here in this county that threaten to arrest me for reporting my dozer valued at well over a hundred thousand dollars, not knowing the prick assisted in the theft. I still have no running water in my house because this same asshole sheriff told the propane man to take our propane tank even though we had fully paid for the propane in the winter of 2002. We will probably never recover financially from all the damage that this "rogue sheriff" and the Wells Fargo crew here did. She was a criminal and she was treated as such. To bad oh so sad. Do not come into this country illegally and do illegal acts if you do not want to be arrested! That is pretty simple.

Somehow, I don't think being shackled was part of her punishment once convicted.

She was in shackles because she was under arrest. It was not a punishment, she put herself into that position of being under arrest when she broke the law.

SOP for criminals who are in need of medical care while incarcerated is to receive it in the detention facility when possible, or when off site receiving the proper care, they remained shackled as long as it does not interfere with treatment.

If this woman (which I'm assuming is still all alleged or hypothetical) committed these crimes and went into labor during her incarceration, she has no one to blame for this predicament but her own damn self.

He is not as rogue as many would like you to think he is Care, he is very tough though on people that break the law thats true and a little bit of a media hound but beyond that he has done a good job of doing something that the Phoenix mayor won't do. Many just want to use this as an excuse to stop arresting illegals and let the issue go unchecked here like it does in California and the Sheriff is having none of that.

Is he really that tough on those who break the law or is he tough on ALL Latinos, legal or illegal....

Let the truth come out....IF he is as you say, then by all means, I support him, if he is as others who are against him say he is:

With over 2,700 lawsuits against him, a history of virulently anti-immigrant and anti-Latino tactics, and 40,000 felony warrants outstanding in his jurisdiction, Arpaio has fostered a climate in which real criminals roam free while hard-working immigrants live in fear. America's Voice is calling on the U.S. Department of Justice to begin a federal investigation into his tactics, giving Sheriff Arpaio the attention he really deserves.
America’s Voice | Help Get Sheriff Joe the Attention He Deserves

Maybe these people at this link for a petition to get eric holder to investigate him are the ones pulling the strings on the Justice Department or not merely Political foes?

SOP for criminals who are in need of medical care while incarcerated is to receive it in the detention facility when possible, or when off site receiving the proper care, they remained shackled as long as it does not interfere with treatment.

If this woman (which I'm assuming is still all alleged or hypothetical) committed these crimes and went into labor during her incarceration, she has no one to blame for this predicament but her own damn self.

She was only being detained from what I can find now...not even certain she had been charged with a crime from what i can find on it now....she went in to labor while being detained for something? Can't even find that it was shoplifting now but i could swear that is what was said on this other thread on it?

Is he really that tough on those who break the law or is he tough on ALL Latinos, legal or illegal....

Let the truth come out....IF he is as you say, then by all means, I support him, if he is as others who are against him say he is:

With over 2,700 lawsuits against him, a history of virulently anti-immigrant and anti-Latino tactics, and 40,000 felony warrants outstanding in his jurisdiction, Arpaio has fostered a climate in which real criminals roam free while hard-working immigrants live in fear. America's Voice is calling on the U.S. Department of Justice to begin a federal investigation into his tactics, giving Sheriff Arpaio the attention he really deserves.
America’s Voice | Help Get Sheriff Joe the Attention He Deserves

Maybe these people at this link for a petition to get eric holder to investigate him are the ones pulling the strings on the Justice Department on not merely Political foes?

Personally I think the more investigation that is done the better. In fact if eric holder was to do an investigation I think it would be helpful to sherriff joe, if it settled all the issues at once.
For one thing , Maricopa County has spent a fortune in legal fees. If(if) there was such an investigations and joe comes out clean, he might be our next homeland security head. He certainly would have been a much wiser choice than dammit janet.

There was only one word from most of us when our former Gov. was selected to head Homeland Security after what she left us with. " Unbelieveable" and now rather than focus on people who commit crimes the Justice Department is going after one of the few people in the nation that actually want to enforce the law.

OK, so there is alot more to this that was NOT in your link! :lol:

Do you think the mexican woman arrested for shoplifting i believe, should have been kept shackled during childbirth? That seems illegal to me.... :(

Not only is it not illegal, it is standard procedure for prisoners to remain handcuffed.

Your "source" is totally biased...at the bottom of the "article" it links to SheriffMustGo.com.

You need to use some discernment skills Care.

Please link to a legitimate news article...I can't find one.

Forum List

Back