Sharyl Attkisson, EX-CBS reporter talks about the "liberal media."

Avorysuds

Gold Member
Jul 4, 2010
Eugene Oregon
Ex-CBS reporter 8217 s book reveals how liberal media protects Obama New York Post

"Often they dream up stories beforehand and turn the reporters into “casting agents,” told “we need to find someone who will say . . .” that a given policy is good or bad. “We’re asked to create a reality that fits their New York image of what they believe,” she writes."

Who knows how much truth there is to this but no one can deny the incredible left leaning media we have.

We will soon see whether the Left ignores her or works swiftly to destroy her.

News is not left or right. If you want 'right wing news' then that is not news - it's opinion. If you want liberal news, then that is now news - it's opinion.

I'm a journalist. All I can say that in my experience, I have never been told what to write or how to write it. I've had editors ask questions, and once or twice I've been asked to change the angle of a story, but I can tell you with 100% certainty that most of what you believe is true about the politicisation or bias of mainstream media is nonsense.

Most editors I know are balanced, objective people who just want a good story. I know one guy who belongs to a VERY strict religious group, and in ten years work I never once saw it influence his decision making. He was simply a professional who could separate out his own beliefs from what the story needed to say.

My advice to anyone is simply to use a range of media, including something from outside your own country, but otherwise simply forget this obsession with left or right.

The biggest problem ith our media is they are too soft in holding Conservatives responsible for their actions. They have bought into conservative whining about how unfair the media is to them and bend over backwards to cover for them

The biggest problem ith our media is they are too soft in holding Conservatives responsible for their actions. They have bought into conservative whining about how unfair the media is to them and bend over backwards to cover for them

lol, leave it up to RW to deflect and end with saying something partisan and or stupid.

I hate those liberals on Fox Media, why all they do is pander......

So then you agree with her and her new book? That media has become a joke when it comes to journalists providing untainted, unbiased information? Fox news is known to be bias, known for being near 100% fake bullshit entertainment "news." There are many comedians that spoof on Fox news, but this raises a question, do comedians not attack the liberal media in fear of alienating their view base?

News is not left or right. If you want 'right wing news' then that is not news - it's opinion. If you want liberal news, then that is now news - it's opinion.

I'm a journalist. All I can say that in my experience, I have never been told what to write or how to write it. I've had editors ask questions, and once or twice I've been asked to change the angle of a story, but I can tell you with 100% certainty that most of what you believe is true about the politicisation or bias of mainstream media is nonsense.

Most editors I know are balanced, objective people who just want a good story. I know one guy who belongs to a VERY strict religious group, and in ten years work I never once saw it influence his decision making. He was simply a professional who could separate out his own beliefs from what the story needed to say.

My advice to anyone is simply to use a range of media, including something from outside your own country, but otherwise simply forget this obsession with left or right.

Did you work for CBS or any of the big networks or papers? As another poster brought up, do you think Fox news gives near unrestrained freedom to their "journalists" to pick their stories and tell it how it is?

lol, leave it up to RW to deflect and end with saying something partisan and or stupid.
The so called liberal media has been soft on the transgressions of the right in a fear of appearing partisan
The whining from the right has been effective

He does that with nearly every post.

Did you work for CBS or any of the big networks or papers? As another poster brought up, do you think Fox news gives near unrestrained freedom to their "journalists" to pick their stories and tell it how it is?

No, I don't think Fox operates professionally, but I do think most US media do operate professionally. Fox seem to me to be an exception.

I am not saying that there is no liberal bias out there, but I am saying that any spin is likely to be minor, and that most newspaper and TV still present the facts as best they are able to.

The so called liberal media has been soft on the transgressions of the right in a fear of appearing partisan

Lol, you're actually going with that. I keep wondering what happened to the 24 hour news coverage of the Iraq war under Bush when Obama kept it going for 3 years after being elected despite promising to end it as being "the first thing he will do if elected President." Or the near parade like atmosphere they gave Obama when he ended the war in Iraq, all 3 times.... Or where the media went now that Obama blames Bush for ending the Iraq war and where that same media is now that Obama is back to killing people in Iraq.

I see your point how the media has given in to not wanting to seem too bias. Slowly though we see the media at least making a slight effort to talk about issues with Obama, Obamacare, more wars, a horrible economy and income inequality... But that might have something to do with their rating sinking like a rock when they keep saying "the economy is still recovering, slowly...." 6 years later and trillions spent soaking the rich bankers so they can loan the poor more money.

Again I don't know how much truth will be in her book, but it would seem you're a prime example of what she is talking about the media's prime target being. Mindless, a drone without an ability to think (or get a job) not given to them. She's talking about propaganda, heavily influenced by Obama's administration, and all you can do is talk about conservatives. That's some blind hate RW.

My wife hires people as part of her job and she wants to let you know when you have a skill set that is marketable to the public to give her a call and she will see if they have anything for you. Till then just keep living on welfare as it seems to be working for you. Just better hope our deficits don't mean cuts for people and programs with a no benefit for cost ratio.

Hey man i got a story for you.

Look into this guy "Rightwinger." he seems to make hundreds of thousands a year "advising" Government.... he also claims to have the ability to just give people jobs that pay more than 200,000 a year (claims he can pay better than what my wife makes.) he has no issue with taking people out of the privet sector to inject them into that quasi privet but paid only by public funds sector, kinda like Halliburton. Seems like there is an awful amount of tax payer money being wasted.......... I'm sure the public would like to know where possible millions of dollars is going as I doubt RW is the only one sitting on this tax funded cashcow, maybe even billions! Could be a great story!

I admit i have tried to press RW for information about what my taxes pay him to do and he remains vague and mostly silent outside of braging about making a lot and not having to do much.

What do you think Saigon?

This stuff went on for most of the 20th century when the only information available to the American people was filtered through a liberal screen. Cronkite's version of the Tet offensive victory is a good example. Just when it seemed that the US might actually wipe out the V.C., Cronkite rushed to Vietnam, donned a helmet and flack jacket and pretended he was under fire and pronounced the victory to be a stalemate. LBJ fell for it and threw in the towel. The Watergate break in was trivial compared to some modern stories but the liberal media including a reporter who was the son of card carrying communists managed to turn it into a circus. What honest media would tolerate an unidentified "informant" furnishing unverified information and kept secret until he died and couldn't verify stories? Dan Rather and the entire CBS network should have gone to jail for using forged documents to try to influence a presidential election. CBS wanted it to be true so they invented the story. It would have worked back in Cronkite's day but people are better informed thanks to fair and balanced reporting from some media sources.

No, I don't think Fox operates professionally, but I do think most US media do operate professionally. Fox seem to me to be an exception.

I am not saying that there is no liberal bias out there, but I am saying that any spin is likely to be minor, and that most newspaper and TV still present the facts as best they are able to.

Republican: bad, evil, immoral, un professional.

Democrat: Mostly good, fair, balanced, professional....

I'll take your advice and write off her book as a republican hater who will prolly end up working at fox news where her un professional lying ass belongs. till then more stories about the healing economy, lower UE number, how Obama killed the shit outa OBL and how great Obamacare is going.... unless you're watching that fake news channel fox "news" ewe.

Yes, I find your opinion to be mostly fucking stupid. I don't watch news, fox, msnbc, cnn or worse listen to NPR.... whatever, because it's all so bias and you hear the narrator leading the "emotion" of their version of the story. It's not information, it's day care story time TV for adults.

Siagon, I'm sorry to attack. but i started a thread about a book talking about the inner workings of a major network and how simplistically it's run. Boss at top says no to stories that hurt Obama or Dems and yes to stories that hurt Republicans, right down to how they label people on their own network as "conservative' or "right wing" to make them look bias to the viewer. You're reaction is what, that she is lying? I mean it sounds as bad as fox news to me.... Do you have and info on the inner workings down at CBS?

Lol, you're actually going with that. I keep wondering what happened to the 24 hour news coverage of the Iraq war under Bush when Obama kept it going for 3 years after being elected despite promising to end it as being "the first thing he will do if elected President." Or the near parade like atmosphere they gave Obama when he ended the war in Iraq, all 3 times.... Or where the media went now that Obama blames Bush for ending the Iraq war and where that same media is now that Obama is back to killing people in Iraq.

I see your point how the media has given in to not wanting to seem too bias. Slowly though we see the media at least making a slight effort to talk about issues with Obama, Obamacare, more wars, a horrible economy and income inequality... But that might have something to do with their rating sinking like a rock when they keep saying "the economy is still recovering, slowly...." 6 years later and trillions spent soaking the rich bankers so they can loan the poor more money.

Again I don't know how much truth will be in her book, but it would seem you're a prime example of what she is talking about the media's prime target being. Mindless, a drone without an ability to think (or get a job) not given to them. She's talking about propaganda, heavily influenced by Obama's administration, and all you can do is talk about conservatives. That's some blind hate RW.

My wife hires people as part of her job and she wants to let you know when you have a skill set that is marketable to the public to give her a call and she will see if they have anything for you. Till then just keep living on welfare as it seems to be working for you. Just better hope our deficits don't mean cuts for people and programs with a no benefit for cost ratio.
You make a good point

What happened to our "liberal media" when it came time to ask serious questions about Bush's Iraq invasion?
Where was the threat?
What is the urgency?
WMDs? Are you kidding me?
Treat us as liberators? Do you understand the Sunis, Shiites and Kurds?

Our liberal media failed big time

You make a good point

What happened to our "liberal media" when it came time to ask serious questions about Bush's Iraq invasion?
Where was the threat?
What is the urgency?
WMDs? Are you kidding me?
Treat us as liberators? Do you understand the Sunis, Shiites and Kurds?

Our liberal media failed big time

Another deflection.

But I agree. However the answer is simple. Bush rushed to war after a huge attack on US soil. The Media was riding the wave of Liberal supported hate to get us into Iraq. You have to remember that the war effort had like 60% support. later as liberal support dwindled so quickly did the medias support.

Popular opinion in the United States on the invasion of Iraq - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

"A Gallup poll made on behalf of CNN and USA Today concluded that 79% of Americans thought the Iraq War was justified, with or without conclusive evidence of illegal weapons. 19% thought weapons were needed to justify the war"

"In May 2007, the New York Times and CBS News released similar results of a poll in which 61% of participants believed the U.S. "should have stayed out" of Iraq."

While I did the owning here, you kinda set yourself up. What do you "advise" people on again? All you did was prove that the "liberal media" gave liberals what they wanted. Your claim that the "liberal media" failed is correct, they failed to provide information that was un-bias. Liberals wanted war so the media gave them reason for war. Fox did no better, but that's my whole point and it seems the point of her book, that the media is just propaganda at this point.

It's called 'working the refs'.

The anxiety over being called 'Liberal Media' causes softball, kid gloves handling of Republicans.

Forum List

Back