CDZ Serious Question: What do you think it's like for DC politicians....

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by Mac1958, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Mac1958

Mac1958 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32,610
    ... when they see each other constantly lie and distort and make cartoonish mountains out of molehills for nothing more than political advantage? And knowing that they have to do it too, and do it all the time?

I wonder if, behind the scenes, they joke about it, like pro wrestlers must do in the locker room.

Do you think they ever, when feeling a little guilt or shame over their ridiculous antics, confide in each other some kind of regret for their behavior? That that they hate doing this, but have to? Or do they just maintain this facade the moment they walk out of their house?

What do you think it's like, behind the scenes?

• Winner Winner x 2
  2. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,478
    XXXX- Mod Edit -- You are in the CDZ. Don't flame or be confrontational. JoeB131

seriously, this is nothing new. They've been doing this as long as I've been around at least.

You see, complexity of Common Core or Tax reform. That's boring.

Politician diddling an intern? That's easy.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2017
  3. Fueri

Fueri Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,871
    Likely they joke about it. Every job has it's version of "shop talk" this is no different.

And it's likely that some have some feelings of guilt, although I think in the vast majority of cases the justifications ultimately override those to the point that they start believing their own bullshit.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Mac1958

Mac1958 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32,610
    Yeah, I do believe that people can literally talk themselves into dang near anything with enough repetition.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. andaronjim

andaronjim Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,566
    Behind the scenes, these establishment political hacks are laughing their asses off, on how they can dupe about 47% of the voting populace into thinking they really care for them, while padding their bank accounts with millions of dollars that would have any of US put in jail for....

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,478
    Here's the biggest problem with politicians.

They give us exactly what we want.

We want Government to do all this stuff for us.
    We don't want to pay for it.

And much like a prostitute resents her pimp or a junkie hates his pusher, we deflect blame on them for our own inability to take responsibility.

XXXX -- Mod Edit. FYI -- CDZ is not a safe place. It's a CIVIL space.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2017
  7. Mac1958

Mac1958 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32,610
    I dunno. I would guess that they may talk about this stuff now and then within their party, or with staffers, but it does look like they play this pro wrestling game otherwise.

8. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,478
    Let's get real, here.

I think most politicians actually do believe in what they are doing, and 99% of the time, they are doing the things we elected them to do.

If you really want to blame someone, you should probably blame the media, because the boring policy stuff some people claim they want to talk about doesn't get good ratings. Just ask C-SPAN. They'd never be viable without a government subsidy.

This was predicted by the movie Network 40 years ago, what would happen when ratings and advertising became the most important consideration on News. But Howard Beale looks relatively sedate compared to Hannity or Maddow.

9. Xelor

Xelor Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,246
    Based on my encounters with politicians and high level policy makers and influencers [1], some of them actually believe the BS they spew in public and others just don't "go there" when in private settings. I haven't met any who aren't aware of and who do not despise the inane "tightrope" they are forced, by the electorate and the structure of our political/electoral process, to walk.

Some, those who are sincere about campaign and election reform and/or those who are truly of high moral/ethical character, want to revise the process so that are gone the exigencies and imperatives that reward dissemblance and disingenuousness. The thing is that they all realize that the success or failure of any such initiatives depends ultimately on the electorate.

One thing worth noting is that one need not interact with national-level politicians/policy makers and influencers to get a sense of the answer to your question. The same situational influences pervade politics at all levels and the stances individuals have about it -- begrudging indulgence, revelry, indifference, disdain, etc. or some combination thereof -- exist at all levels.

Note:
    1. Full Disclosure:
      My encounters of that sort are largely social; I can count on one hand the number of times I've had a "business" purpose for having a deliberate interaction with an elected representative or highly placed appointed official. Accordingly, I can hardly say I have daily or even weekly encounters of that sort, but it happens often enough that I have some sense of it with regard to a handful of such individuals. FWIW, it's nearly always the same individuals, so there's a measure of rapport between us. Namely, they are confident I'm not going to repeat things they say (and certainly not by attributing remarks to them), and I know they aren't to go let me become aware of things they've said or done that would force me to publicly talk about it specifically in connection with them.

Make of that what you want, but know that is the context in which my interactions take place, pretty much with everyone, but certainly with regard to policy makers and influencers. Have I any informal measure of influence? Well that'd be for others to say.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. Mac1958

Mac1958 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32,610
    The interactions I've had with local- and state-level politicians have been similar: When political behaviors are brought up, they must kind of smile and shake their heads. Obviously I may be reading something into it, but the message I get from that is something like, "yeah, well, we all have to do it, so I'm not gonna criticize it."

But yes, there are clearly many True Believers who have created and exist within a very tight ideological vacuum, so it may very well be that, in their mind, they're being perfectly honest and forthright. Which, of course, is troubling.

• Agree Agree x 1