Seoul becomes NYC’s first partner city in Asia

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bluesky79, Oct 11, 2011.

1. bluesky79

bluesky79 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9
    New York’s tourism agency and the Seoul Metropolitan Government officially agreed to promote cultural and recreational visits between the two cities.

This marks NYC & Company's first partnership with an Asian country. The city has previously formed partnerships with London, Madrid, Sao Paulo and Miami.

About 223,000 people visited New York City from South Korea in 2010, while more than 650,000 from the U.S. visited Seoul. The new joint-marketing campaign seeks to further increase these numbers over the next several years.

The partnership includes an advertising campaign to maximize awareness of each city’s brand. Advertisements will appear in key districts of New York and Seoul, particularly in concentrated areas drawing large crowds such as New York’s Times Square. Seoul will also be advertised at 70 bus stops throughout the city – potentially reaching the eyes of 30 million tourists and New York City residents.

The campaign extends online, where Seoul’s website (Hi Seoul, Soul of Asia) and New York’s tourism website (The Official New York City Guide to NYC Attractions, Dining, Hotels and Things to Do / nycgo.com) will both run web banners advertising each city. Future plans include online promotion of Seoul, Korean Air, and New York on social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter.

Kwon Young-Gyu, speaking on behalf of the Seoul Metropolitan Government, stated that the city looks to gain attention from citizens around the globe, and that Seoul recently increased its budget for overseas marketing by nearly tenfold.

Korean Air, a partner in the agreement, is offering discounts on flights between Seoul and New York City for tickets bought in October. Details regarding the special event can be found on the Seoul Metropolitan Government homepage or at the Korean Air website (Korean Air)

2. Ropey

Ropey To Life! Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,987

[​IMG]

Korean Air is also offering discount flights.

Korean Air

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

Some wonder why this Canadian has such a love for America... For many and varied reasons.

3. High_Gravity

High_Gravity Belligerent Drunk Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    No doubt Ropey, South Korea is doing outstanding. I just wish the Chinese never intervened back during the Korean war, than the whole Korean peninsula would be like this.

4. Sallow

Sallow The Big Bad Wolf. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    Koreans have a long and storied history of "inviting" other countries to help fight against an opposing faction. South Korea got it's act together fairly recently after some time. They were pretty much a dictatorship. But after a good number of reforms they've really started to cook.

Seoul is a very expensive city to visit. Would love to go..but may be a little out of my reach.

:lol:

5. High_Gravity

High_Gravity Belligerent Drunk Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    I was trying to get stationed at Yongsan Air Base when I was in the service, its in downtown Seoul and my friends were telling me very good things about the night life there.