senior group work with racist students?!

theCount

Rookie
Jan 27, 2012
Hi everyone, this is my problem. Throughout my classes, i have been ignoring the subtle racism (the slurs, the provocations, the rediculings, etc) and focused on hard work. I was too focused on hard work that i didnt see my current problem coming. I don't know who to complain to.
I am in my senior year in an engineering major at a certain American college. My graduation depends on two senior projects done with other students as a group. The problem is that the geniuses don't want to work with me! I have found two which i begged to work with me and have agreed, but they are mocking me, and not doing their part. Some of these students are used to producing a fully completed work from prior year students without putting in 1% of work in it. And i wont be surprised if the end of the year comes and my group members have a completely done work while i have 30% complete work.
Tell your professors, you might say, but they are the enablers.
I have invested a lot of money and time in this and cannot just walk away from it.

Hi everyone, this is my problem. Throughout my classes, i have been ignoring the subtle racism (the slurs, the provocations, the rediculings, etc) and focused on hard work. I was too focused on hard work that i didnt see my current problem coming. I don't know who to complain to.
I am in my senior year in an engineering major at a certain American college. My graduation depends on two senior projects done with other students as a group. The problem is that the geniuses don't want to work with me! I have found two which i begged to work with me and have agreed, but they are mocking me, and not doing their part. Some of these students are used to producing a fully completed work from prior year students without putting in 1% of work in it. And i wont be surprised if the end of the year comes and my group members have a completely done work while i have 30% complete work.
I have invested a lot of money and time in this and cannot just walk away from it.

Racism as a crutch. You should win a prize or something for having figured this out.

Your problem isn't racism. Your problem is that other people don't want to work with you. Now it could be that they really are better than you are, and helping you is a waste of their time. They could think you are good enough, but a personal dweeb. Since you had to "beg" them to work with you, there is a problem that isn't race.

It's not like you have a lot of options. First of all working with this group is not one of your options. Find another group or double down and go it alone.

Racism as a crutch. You should win a prize or something for having figured this out.

Your problem isn't racism. Your problem is that other people don't want to work with you. Now it could be that they really are better than you are, and helping you is a waste of their time. They could think you are good enough, but a personal dweeb. Since you had to "beg" them to work with you, there is a problem that isn't race.

It's not like you have a lot of options. First of all working with this group is not one of your options. Find another group or double down and go it alone.

It is racism and discrimination when they are mocking your accent, and all the slurs are racist. It is racism when they ignore you when you talk to them and then yell at you like you are a criminal caught red handed. I could fill this page of how i am treated by so many on daily basis!
I don't think they are better than me either, when i see them submitting assignments already corrected by the instructor in the previous year. I have been the one bringing almost everything for the project starting from the idea. My problem is not getting help from them, but that the group members don't do their part so we can complete the project. No matter how much i try, i cant do the work of three people. I am also a working student.

And I am not demanding help from this forum, i am just asking if there are people with similar experiences and what they did to go through it.
i may be a dweeb?! well, that's why it is called subtle racism. They want you to take it as if it is all your fault. That's how today's racism works. No one will do something that you can legally hold against them, so they will grill you picking microscopic issues on you. If this was a night out, i would understand, but we have a job to do. We have a big job to do that we have invested money that we have never seen before, and time that would have turned an infant into a school age ABC writing child. If this was the military, my radio communication would be ignored, or i would be ignored and messages would not be passed across because the other soldiers think i am a dweeb.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back