Senate Republicans Block Benefits to Homeless Women Veterans

Newsflash: Senate Republicans Block Benefits to Homeless Women Veterans : Ms Magazine Blog

Senate conservatives blocked the Homeless Women Veterans and Homeless Veterans with Children Act on Tuesday, following an objection from Senator Tom Coburn (R-OK, left), who spoke out in opposition to the bill. The $3.4 billion bill, introduced by Senator Patty Murray (D-WA), would have provided special benefits to homeless women veterans (as well as to homeless male veterans with dependent children). The defeat comes at a time when homelessness among women veterans has dramatically increased. According to the Department of Veterans Affairs, the number of homeless women veterans has nearly doubled over the past ten years. The trend is even more apparent among homeless veterans under 45; one in ten is a woman. What’s more, the increase in the number of homeless women veterans has coincided with a drop in homelessness among their male counterparts, according to Peter Dougherty, director of homeless veterans programs at the Department of Veterans Affairs.

YouTube - ‪Republican Senators Blocks Homeless Veterans Bill‬‏

The bill increases spending in an already existing program. Sorry but where is this money going to come from? Oh thats right, borrow it. Borrow more to spend more.

And not many people end up homeless unless they are drug addicts or have some other serious problem. I'd like to know why there are supposedly so many homeless vets.

Funny that their boy Obama was going to withhold everyone Social Security check and they didn't say a peep

Last edited:
This is exactly what needs to be stopped.
We already have many programs in the VA that helps homeless veterans. It includes women already.
Sen. Patty Murry should have done her homework before she added a duplicate program.

This is why government is costing us too much money, programs on top of programs.
It was the right thing that they did. If government had done this to begin with we would not have the mess that we are in right now.
You libs need to wake up and do some of your own homework about these duplicate (more and more money) kind of bills.
She is pulling at the heartstrings of you libs and coning you into accepting more and more government.
She how it is written - we have to have more for them because they have children and are on the streets. When there are many programs already for them.
check out the VA Homeless benefits there are plenty of programs to help them.
Homeless Veterans Home

thank you...;)

and 3 billion is a LOT of money, we are throwing terms like Trillions around that just makes a billion seems like a pittance.

A pittance here a pittance there has added up to 1.5 Trillion that we don't have.
"Reagan proved deficits don't matter."
Dick Cheney

It seriously pisses me off when both fucking sides shamelessly use our veterans for their cheap, pathetic political point scoring.

You people (and by 'you people' I mean both sides) should be ashamed of yourselves. You're fucking morally bankrupt.

Newsflash: Senate Republicans Block Benefits to Homeless Women Veterans : Ms Magazine Blog

Senate conservatives blocked the Homeless Women Veterans and Homeless Veterans with Children Act on Tuesday, following an objection from Senator Tom Coburn (R-OK, left), who spoke out in opposition to the bill. The $3.4 billion bill, introduced by Senator Patty Murray (D-WA), would have provided special benefits to homeless women veterans (as well as to homeless male veterans with dependent children). The defeat comes at a time when homelessness among women veterans has dramatically increased. According to the Department of Veterans Affairs, the number of homeless women veterans has nearly doubled over the past ten years. The trend is even more apparent among homeless veterans under 45; one in ten is a woman. What’s more, the increase in the number of homeless women veterans has coincided with a drop in homelessness among their male counterparts, according to Peter Dougherty, director of homeless veterans programs at the Department of Veterans Affairs.

snipped ....

What exactly are you 'cynical' about, you morally bankrupt sick freak? You're no more a 'cynic' than I am a left wing whackjob. You're a fucking mindless partisan hack.... and a sick freak who uses children for political point scoring.

Let them eat cake!

mad%20tea%20party_700.jpg

??

Maybe you should read the links provided in the OP. The vote was against a bill to increase spending for this particular program. There was never a vote to cut funding.

Carry on, dipshit.
Read the title :asshole:
It says the GOP BLOCK benefits to homeless vets, it doesn't say "cut."

and what does 'block' mean to you in this context?
It certainly does not mean "cut" in ANY context!!!
BLOCK means BLOCK!!!!

snipped ....

What exactly are you 'cynical' about, you morally bankrupt sick freak? You're no more a 'cynic' than I am a left wing whackjob. You're a fucking mindless partisan hack.... and a sick freak who uses children for political point scoring.
Another Right-Wing :asshole: who hates our brave military!

The bill increases spending in an already existing program. Sorry but where is this money going to come from? Oh thats right, borrow it. Borrow more to spend more.

And not many people end up homeless unless they are drug addicts or have some other serious problem. I'd like to know why there are supposedly so many homeless vets.

Did you ever consider what years of war does to a person's mind?

I'm all about taking personal responsibility, but I've never been in a war zone so I can't condescend to tell someone who has that they should suck it up and just get back to regular civilian life like all the rest of us.

Welcome to the freak show. Get used to it, you will see a dozen "republicans want to kill or starve or deprive" (pick a victim) every month until the election in 2012. It's an old cheap hate-filled political trick courtesy of the ignorant left.

Ahh but the trick is to decry reality as a political trick.
Lose not sight of who the tricksters are my friends.

Welcome to the freak show. Get used to it, you will see a dozen "republicans want to kill or starve or deprive" (pick a victim) every month until the election in 2012. It's an old cheap hate-filled political trick courtesy of the ignorant left.

soooo, the reality is what, we just rioll along and everytime one sect screams hey this grp or that needs money, we just find it?

I'm all about taking personal responsibility, but I've never been in a war zone so I can't condescend to tell someone who has that they should suck it up and just get back to regular civilian life like all the rest of us.

Suck it up?
News for you. The VA has already got a very good menatal health program.
https://iris.custhelp.com/app/answe...2LzEvdGltZS8xMzEwMTczNDgyL3NpZC9vZnliR3Z5aw==

soooo, the reality is what, we just rioll along and everytime one sect screams hey this grp or that needs money, we just find it?

Your reading comprehension is offtrack today.

What part of duplicate programs are you not getting?
It's a Democrat Sen. Murry who wants more for an already existing, very good benefit program.

Maybe you should read the links provided in the OP. The vote was against a bill to increase spending for this particular program. There was never a vote to cut funding.

Carry on, dipshit.
Read the title :asshole:
It says the GOP BLOCK benefits to homeless vets, it doesn't say "cut."

and what does 'block' mean to you in this context?
It certainly does not mean "cut" in ANY context!!!
BLOCK means BLOCK!!!!

thats right a block is not a cut, so, it appears they are blocking the increase to an ongoing budgeted prgm. ?
So now you are suddenly agreeing with me in my argument against the Hawk who said it was reported as a "CUT" when clearly the OP reports it as a BLOCK.

Suck it up?
https://iris.custhelp.com/app/answe...2LzEvdGltZS8xMzEwMTczNDgyL3NpZC9vZnliR3Z5aw==

the VA cannot cope with the volume of vets needing mental health care in most areas of the country.
I know I worked with them for over 2 years acting as an outside monitor/support person for disturbed vets.
Yes some areas have decent coverage but most do not.
You all forget the Allbright/Doyle task force on veterans health care?
Almost nothing of what they promised has been enacted.

And I am an ex combat vet.

Suck it up?

New for YOU.

After spending years seeing people's bodies blown apart, some maybe even close friends of yours, a "mental health program " is certainly no guarantee of mental health.

Suck it up?
News for you. The VA has already got a very good mental health program.

New for YOU.

After spending years seeing people's bodies blown apart, some maybe even close friends of yours, a "mental health program " is certainly no guarantee of mental health.

No it isn't. The person needs to want to help their own self before getting mental help.
I f they keep the poor poor me mentality no one can help them.

Forum List

Back