Senate GOP Warns They Will Shut Down The Senate

you mean the mere 90 days out of the last 4 years that democrats had a super majority that could have passed anything in the Senate?

No, I mean the two years that Democrats controlled the House of Representatives.

Just an FYI, budgets only require a majority vote, and cannot be filibustered anyway, so pointing out Reid did not have a super majority when we are talking about the budget makes you look even dumber than you usually do.

And even if there was a filibuster it wouldn't stop Reid from being able to put things up for a vote. Can't filibust things that were never allowed to be voted on.

That to.

Republicans have abused their filibuster privileges to gridlock the legislative process.

Time to revoke their privilege

The Founders designed the system to have lots of gridlock. When the politicians argue, the people are free.

Yea...sure they did

If they wanted gridlock they could have put in a 60% vote requirement

They actually allowed filibusters in both the House and the Senate, and required a 2/3 majority to override them both.

If the republicans do so, as the op is suggesting, they will pushbthe rest of the country farther away, so I hope they do so, cause if they do 2014/2016 will be good years.

By 2014/2016 the parasites will increase to approximately 55% of the electorate.

Parasitism is like metastatic cancer. Anyone who panders to the the gimmes will win hands down.

Senate Republicans Warn They Will Shut Down The Senate If Harry Reid Goes Through With Unprecedented Plan To Change Filibuster Rules…​

They better.

Via Politico:

A partisan war is brewing that could bring the government to a screeching halt as early as January — and no, it’s not over the fiscal cliff.

It’s all about the filibuster.

Democrats are threatening to change filibuster rules, in what will surely prompt a furious GOP revolt that could make those rare moments of bipartisan consensus even harder to come by during the next Congress.

Here’s what Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid is considering: banning filibusters used to prevent debate from even starting and House-Senate conference committees from ever meeting. He also may make filibusters become actual filibusters — to force senators to carry out the nonstop, talkathon sessions.

Republicans are threatening even greater retaliation if Reid uses a move rarely used by Senate majorities: changing the chamber’s precedent by 51 votes, rather than the usual 67 votes it takes to overhaul the rules.

“I think the backlash will be severe,” Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.), the conservative firebrand, said sternly. “If you take away minority rights, which is what you’re doing because you’re an ineffective leader, you’ll destroy the place. And if you destroy the place, we’ll do what we have to do to fight back.”

“It will shut down the Senate,” the incoming Senate GOP whip, Texas Sen. John Cornyn, told POLITICO. “It’s such an abuse of power.”​

[excerpt]

Keep reading…

GOP warns of shutdown over filibuster - Manu Raju - POLITICO.com

Can someone tell me the last time a filibuster WORKED? All it is--is a talk-a-thon of blabber in an effort to delay a vote on an issue. Once they're out of breath the vote carries on anyway.

Wait, wait, let me get this straight.
The economy is struggling to get back on its feet; the government is in desperate need of a budget...

And the thing that gets Republicans' panties all twisted is the FILIBUSTER?!

...sure. Okay.

Wait, wait, let me get this straight.
The economy is struggling to get back on its feet; the government is in desperate need of a budget...

And the thing that gets Republicans' panties all twisted is the FILIBUSTER?!

...sure. Okay.

Let me get this straight. You read this entire thread and you think it's the Republicans who are getting their panties twisted about the Filibuster?

Republicans have abused their filibuster privileges to gridlock the legislative process.

Time to revoke their privilege

The Founders designed the system to have lots of gridlock. When the politicians argue, the people are free.

Yea...sure they did

Read the Federalist Papers sometime.

Keep Special interests & parties fighting and the people are free to do as they please.

How long did you have to talk?

Let's go back to REAL filibuster

I have no problem with real filibusters. That's fine. But that doesnt change the point that the filibuster serves a purpose and that people are allowed to voice their opinions against the Regime.

Can someone tell me the last time a filibuster WORKED? All it is--is a talk-a-thon of blabber in an effort to delay a vote on an issue. Once they're out of breath the vote carries on anyway.

The politicians nowadays are too lazy to even do a filibuster. They just say "We are doing a filibuster" and do absolutely nothing and then the other side whines and complains about how they are holding up legislation when nothing is actually done.

Basicaly, yes

By having Senators appointed by the wealthy they could keep the Congressmen elected by the masses in check. There is also no accountability

You guys are seriously ignorant of history.

Which history are we talking here?

The one based in reality or the right wing nut rewritten version?

The history of our government. You know, the one the general public is kept in the dark about.

Reid should two things:

1) Make the rule 40 votes to maintain a filibuster not 60 to break one.

2) Make them actually filibuster.

Heaven forbid anyone object to legislation proposed.

You object...vote against it

Don't block everyone else from voting

So you think by voting not to move forward to cloture you are preventing people from voting....

And we wonder why Obama won.
yes, what do you think it means?

When filibustering, it takes 60 senators saying yes, we can move onward to take a vote on the actual bill...otherwise the bill is stalled.

Yea...sure they did

Read the Federalist Papers sometime.

Keep Special interests & parties fighting and the people are free to do as they please.
so, are we free to do as we please? there sure seems to be a lot of fighting and doing nothing going around? Does that really mean we are free to do as we please?

Forum List

Back