Senate drops military discount for cigarettes

Folks need civil servants to manage their choices for them... For their own good... Lol

Soldiers can still smoke

They just won't have taxpayers paying for them

What is it about taxpayers giving our military a break that bothers you? Before you were saying giving them a break encourages smoking, which I disagree with. Sure smoking is a behavior I don't condone, but I do understand why people do it. Do you feel the same about alcohol? Would you have a problem subsidizing that for our military?

Fine with me, but not subsidized by my tax money.

I don't mind my tax dollars going toward making a product cheaper for our military men and women that they have the choice to use or not use. Giving them a discount on a product that they have made the decision to use or not encouraging use. Our military is made up of adults, they are fully capable of deciding wether or not to have a smoke without any influence from big brother. Now I'm not a smoker, but if I was in the military maybe I would choose to take up smoking because of the stress of being in the military. Smoking can be an expensive habit. Why not give our military a break from the cost if they choose to partake in that habit?

If the soldiers want to buy cyanide and drink it, that's ok with me, but only with their own money, not my tax money.

Well that, of course, wouldn't be ok with me. I would choose to give them my tax dollars on an expense for a habit that they make the choice in partaking in. Its not a healthy habit, but under the circumstances they have to deal with a lot and they feel it helps them get through the day. Again I understand why a lot of people in our military chooses to smoke and I think they would continue to make that choice wether or not they're paying full price for smokes.

I don't mind my tax dollars going toward making a product cheaper for our military men and women that they have the choice to use or not use. Giving them a discount on a product that they have made the decision to use or not encouraging use. Our military is made up of adults, they are fully capable of deciding wether or not to have a smoke without any influence from big brother. Now I'm not a smoker, but if I was in the military maybe I would choose to take up smoking because of the stress of being in the military. Smoking can be an expensive habit. Why not give our military a break from the cost if they choose to partake in that habit?

If the soldiers want to buy cyanide and drink it, that's ok with me, but only with their own money, not my tax money.

Well that, of course, wouldn't be ok with me. I would choose to give them my tax dollars on an expense for a habit that they make the choice in partaking in. Its not a healthy habit, but under the circumstances they have to deal with a lot and they feel it helps them get through the day. Again I understand why a lot of people in our military chooses to smoke and I think they would continue to make that choice wether or not they're paying full price for smokes.

Psychiatrists and Psychologists have known for decades that a big part of the cigarette habit is merely an oral fixation. Buy them pacifiers, instead. It also a dangerous habit in combat, especially at night.

Last edited:
Does Durbin want to oulaw cigarettes? Like prohibition?

Just like oil, the government makes more off cigarettes than tobacco companies do by taxing it.

Last edited:
Being an ex-smoker - 15+ years, can't remember when I stopped my 2½ pack a day habit - and retired, I am glad this is in the works. I watch people checking out with just about every carton they can get into their carts and know darn well it's going to friends and relatives.

Forum List

Back