Senate drops military discount for cigarettes

Leave it to the left..

Always telling people what they can and can't do.

Even people who are out there, putting their lives on the line protecting the Lefties' right to be sanctimonious assholes.

Excuse me, but I thin that you have us mixed up with the folks who own Hobby lobby.

So what are you? Stupid, Ignorant, or a liar? You have to be one of the three to say that.

Military's tobacco discount: Up in smoke: Associated Press Business News - MSN Money

The Senate Appropriations defense subcommittee on Tuesday approved a $549.3 billion defense spending bill that would eliminate the 25 percent discount that members of the armed services enjoy when buying tobacco products at commissaries and elsewhere, including cigarettes and chewing tobacco.

Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., chairman of the subcommittee, said studies show that tobacco use is higher in the military. He said that translates into more illnesses and health care costs of $1.6 billion a year.

"There is no reason these deadly products are subsidized," Durbin said.

The House version of the defense policy bill would thwart any Navy efforts to restrict access to tobacco. In May, Rep. Duncan Hunter, R-Calif., described smoking as one of the few pleasures for a member of the military, and he easily convinced his colleagues on the House Armed Services Committee to back his measure

It was the military who got GIs addicted to tobacco during WWII

Neither here nor there but think all active duty sevice members should be tax exempt across the board. If risking your life for your country, you shouldn't then be getting taxed by it. Especially given how embarassingly low the pay is. Retired members (as in 20+ years) too and former, but not pensioneers some significant discount.

As to this, it makes sense from the sense that we're tightening our belts on medical costs, and behaviours which add to those costs are being taxed and made more expensive to enduldge in. Think they'd get more health benefit though eliminating junk food. Remember soda being available in basic though I opted for milk (though in hindsight, the sugar and caffeine woulda helped.) :)

We used to pay a dollar a carton/dime a pack once we were in open sea away from usa. No taxes. This was 1964-1966. 60 days at sea in the south china sea and cigarettes are your friend and screw the warning sign on the packs. I think service guys at least overseas should get the tax free rate all the time. Pay is crummy and the G.I. bill is a joke nowadays.

And another cheer for Government CRUSHING the little people

not surprised anymore...You might as well accept you DON'T HAVE any Representation in THE YOUR MASTER GOVERNMENT

Last edited:
Here are some facts

The average American has a 41% chance of developing cancer sometime in their life.
The average smoker has a 14% chance of getting cancer in their lifetime.

So statistically you have a higher chance of getting cancer just by being alive.

Why should we subsidize cigarettes to the military? Of all the people in this country, I have no doubt that if a soldier wants a cigarette, he or she will have no problem paying for it themselves.

Here are some facts

The average American has a 41% chance of developing cancer sometime in their life.

So statistically you have a higher chance of getting cancer just by being alive.

More facts:

87.2% of statistics quoted on the internet are made up on the spot

Leave it to the left..

Always telling people what they can and can't do.

Even people who are out there, putting their lives on the line protecting the Lefties' right to be sanctimonious assholes.

Nobody is telling them they can't smoke

Really? They were doing that while I was in, and I got out in 1998.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I can see how you could be confused. Both Hobby Lobby and some of us USA taxpayers are opposed to our money going to something that we believe is wrong....

Last edited:
My father in-law never smoked, but got COPD from growing up in a house with smoking parents, working in a shop of smokers & living with his wife who got addicted to smoking after marriage.

It's not a personal choice when it affects others.

Last edited:
Here are some facts

link?

Cancer is as much a money making industry as tobacco.

And durbin's reason for fighting against smoking is for HIS personal gain not the good of government or health.

Durbin receives finance to his campaigns from Boeing, Cooney & Conway, United Technologies, Simmons Law Firm, northrop grumman

Lawyers law firm, health professionals, securities and investment, lobbyists.

Lawyers and health. That's where he gets his money.

Here are some facts

Yeah I don't know about that one

I say if you're in the military and want to smoke to cope with the stress then that's you're prerogative. I agree with the posters who say all active military should be exempt from all federal taxes.

I say if you're in the military and want to smoke to cope with the stress then that's you're prerogative. I agree with the posters who say all active military should be exempt from all federal taxes.

Fine with me, but not subsidized by my tax money.

Military's tobacco discount: Up in smoke: Associated Press Business News - MSN Money

The Senate Appropriations defense subcommittee on Tuesday approved a $549.3 billion defense spending bill that would eliminate the 25 percent discount that members of the armed services enjoy when buying tobacco products at commissaries and elsewhere, including cigarettes and chewing tobacco.

Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., chairman of the subcommittee, said studies show that tobacco use is higher in the military. He said that translates into more illnesses and health care costs of $1.6 billion a year.

"There is no reason these deadly products are subsidized," Durbin said.

The House version of the defense policy bill would thwart any Navy efforts to restrict access to tobacco. In May, Rep. Duncan Hunter, R-Calif., described smoking as one of the few pleasures for a member of the military, and he easily convinced his colleagues on the House Armed Services Committee to back his measure

It was the military who got GIs addicted to tobacco during WWII

Oh bullshit....

And of course, any screwing of U.S. servicemen and women you wholeheartedly endorse. You lefties are all the same.

I don't mind my tax dollars going toward making a product cheaper for our military men and women that they have the choice to use or not use. Giving them a discount on a product that they have made the decision to use or not encouraging use. Our military is made up of adults, they are fully capable of deciding wether or not to have a smoke without any influence from big brother. Now I'm not a smoker, but if I was in the military maybe I would choose to take up smoking because of the stress of being in the military. Smoking can be an expensive habit. Why not give our military a break from the cost if they choose to partake in that habit?

I know the Military got rid of "Happy Hour" (those were some good times!) But do they still subsidize Alcohol on base?

I don't mind my tax dollars going toward making a product cheaper for our military men and women that they have the choice to use or not use. Giving them a discount on a product that they have made the decision to use or not encouraging use. Our military is made up of adults, they are fully capable of deciding wether or not to have a smoke without any influence from big brother. Now I'm not a smoker, but if I was in the military maybe I would choose to take up smoking because of the stress of being in the military. Smoking can be an expensive habit. Why not give our military a break from the cost if they choose to partake in that habit?

If the soldiers want to buy cyanide and drink it, that's ok with me, but only with their own money, not my tax money.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back