Senate committee holds hearing on Delaware prison system

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
I don't know what the magic number is but I know it's not enough, what they receive now," said Phelps, a former correctional officer who rose through the ranks to become leader of the correction department. Phelps also noted that once a correctional officer is hired, the DOC must try to retain that person.

Since the Feb. 1 prison uprising at James T. Vaughn Correctional Center, at least 34 correctional officers have resigned and 20 more have submitted paperwork for retirement.

"I think a hundred would go a long way to shore things up, especially at James T. Vaughn," Phelps said when asked how many additional officers would be needed to replace those who have left and meet the department's staffing needs.

Phelps also said his department could use "a lot more" security cameras than it currently has.

David Pierce, who was replaced as warden at Vaughn after the riot, said some of the staffing and security needs outlined by a state task force in 2005 have never been met. The task force was formed after a female counselor at the Smyrna prison was taken hostage and raped by a serial rapist, who was then shot to death.

Pierce noted that one of the report's recommendations was for DOC to add 237 "full-time equivalent" or FTE, positions.

"Since that report, Vaughn Correctional Center has lost 30 FTEs and didn't gain any of the 237," he said.

Read more here: Senate committee holds hearing on Delaware prison system

Because nobody gives a damn until something jacked up happens.

Forum List

Back