Sen. Lantos (D-CA) calls Gen. Patraeus a liar on Senate Floor

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Little-Acorn, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Little-Acorn

Little-Acorn Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,889
    And that was BEFORE Petraeus even started giving his report.

Democrats are starting to get hysterical. There have been rumors for months that the "troop surge" is working - that is, Al Qaeda and other terrorists in Iraq are being defeated, and that more and more Iraqis of all religious denominations are coming over to support the U.S. effort to stabilize the country and turn it over to its permanent residents.

This works directly against the Democrat agenda, which for six years has been to trash every move George Bush has made, call the President everything from a buffoon to a traitor with no evidence to prove their rants, and declare useless every initiative by the Bush administration, often before the initiative has even been tried. The leading Senate Democrat has even declared the war lost on the Senate floor.

Naturally, news that we are winning, destroys much of this agenda. So, rather than be happy to hear of American success, the Democrats are now denigrating and smearing the very man they had voted unanimously to put in place earlier. These smears may have hit rock bottom this morning, when Rep. Tom Lantos (D-CA) publicly told Gen. Petraeus at the start of the hearing, that he considered any statement to the effect that things are going better in Iraq, to be lies and that he wouldn't "buy it". He made that announcement before Petraeus had even begun to give his report.

It's hard to imagine a worse insult to an active three-star general in the U.S Armed Forces, except maybe to call him a traitor. Of course, MoveOn.org has called him exactly that, but no one listens to unelected leftist kooks. Leftist kooks like Lantos are a different matter, though.

How long can the Democrat party keep acting like political terrorists whose only mission is to obstruct, lie, and destroy, before they cease to be a viable party altogether, shunned by everyone except the leftist kooks?

----------------------------------------

http://today.reuters.com/news/artic..._RTRUKOC_0_US-IRAQ.xml&src=rss&rpc=22&sp=true

Petraeus hearing starts with Democratic criticism

Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:11pm ET
    by Arshad Mohammed and Susan Cornwell

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Iraq commander Gen. David Petraeus appeared before the U.S. Congress on Monday to give testimony in which he was expected to argue against withdrawing the bulk of U.S. forces from Iraq for now.

Appearing with U.S. Ambassador to Iraq Ryan Crocker, Petraeus listened to deep skepticism from the Democrats who seized control of Congress last year largely because of the profound discontent with the war among American voters.

House Armed Services Committee Chairman Ike Skelton, a Missouri Democrat, began the hearing by telling Petraeus the Iraq war had left the United States unable to confront other challenges.

"The troops in Iraq are not available for other missions; to go into Afghanistan to pursue Osama bin Laden" whose al Qaeda militant group attacked the United States six years ago on Tuesday, Skelton said.

"The administration's myopic policies in Iraq have created a fiasco," added House Foreign Affairs Committee Chairman Tom Lantos, a California Democrat. "The administration has sent you here today to convince the members of these two committees and the Congress that victory is at hand... I don't buy it."

2. Larkinn

Larkinn Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Fascinating how a Senator can be on the House Foreign Affairs committee. Also I find it interesting how you've interpreted "I don't buy it" to mean "you are a liar".

3. maineman

maineman BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    as stated on DP:

take a civics class.

There is no senator Lantos from California.:cuckoo:

4. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,031
    As expected, rather then address the issue, a Congressman announcing BEFORE any testimony is given that the person is going to NOT tell the truth, yu two went with " damn he is not a Senator" and " he didn't call him a liar".

Your right, he just said anything he said was going to be NOT true. And that before he even heard it he didn't believe anything he hadn't even heard yet. As to Senator or Congressman, guess what? They both are elected officials in the legislative Branch.

5. Little-Acorn

Little-Acorn Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,889
    Oops, sorry. I stand corrected, and I have changed it.

I guess I'm not surprised that the only thing the leftist kooks can find wrong with my comments, is that I gave Lantos the wrong title. It must be disheartening to have so little of your own agenda that you can support when the time comes. At least you're no longer even trying to support it. That's progress.

6. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Kind of shoots holes in the idea that Congress bases it's decisions on fact, doesn't it!

7. maineman

maineman BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    CSM:

I do not support congressmen bashing flag officers before they have said anything.....

but...you must admit... there is a well travelled path there where very senior officers cross that line between soldiering and politicking and preach the party line regardless of its connection to reality. William Westmoreland ring a bell? I can blame Lantos for these remarks. Can you blame congress for being a bit skeptical of yet another flag officer coming before them and telling them that we are winning in Iraq?

8. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,031
    Before he has even given his report or answered any questions? Yes I can fault ANYONE that would try to tarnish someone BEFORE anything is known, and there is only one reason to do it, to play politics in case you don't get told what you want to hear.

Remind me again? Did he say we were outright winning? or did he say we were seeing progress, slow but sure?

9. Dr Grump

Dr Grump Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,275
    Who says anything is NOT known. Plenty is known....

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. Larkinn

Larkinn Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +175
    No, he is announcing what the general is there to tell them, and that he doesn't believe it. Lying requires intent.

Senators have a lot more power, and most of what Acorn posted was his own opinion. Considering he can't even get the difference between the House and the Senate right, why should I give credence to the other crap he posts?