Semper Fi - Arrruuuuuuuuuuggaahhh

rayboyusmc

Jan 2, 2008
Florida
Date Posted: 3/30 5:21pm Subject: 84-year-old Marine veteran kicks knife-wielding punk in the nads

Police: Teen makes mistake of trying to rob former U.S. Marine

SANTA ROSA - A boy in his mid-teens learned Wednesday afternoon that it is not a good idea to try to rob a former U.S. Marine at knifepoint, even if the former Marine is 84 years old, police said today.

Santa Rosa police Sgt. Steve Bair said that's what happened around 2 p.m. in the 1600 block of Fourth Street. The elderly man was walking with a grocery bag in each arm when the boy approached him with a large knife, Bair said.

The boy said, "Old man, give me your wallet or I'll cut you," Bair said. The man told the boy he was a former Marine who fought in three wars and had been threatened with knives and bayonets, Bair said.

The man then put his bags on the ground and told the boy that if he stepped closer he would be sorry. When the boy stepped closer, the man kicked him in the groin, knocking him to the sidewalk, Bair said. The ex-Marine picked up his grocery bags and walked home, leaving the boy doubled over, Bair said.

The man reported the attempted robbery to police 45 minutes later.

Bair said the teen is described only as 15 or 16 years old. Anyone with information is asked to call the Police Department.

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_8716808?source=rss
fadfa

Some punk tried to rob the drive-through/minimart down the street from where I worked as a reporter. The owner/clerk was a vet who had a great big handgun under the counter, and who held him with his head on the counter until the police (and our photographer) got there.

It was classic.

Nice!

Although I half expected to see one or two folks here chime in with the panty waist opinion that this guy used excessive force and that the kid should sue him. No need to name names...you know who you are!!! :evil:

This kid should have obeyed his elder.

The old man did everything he could without coming right out and saying, "Son, I'm gonna kick you in the balls."

Well played sir, I solute you.

Proof that the older generation may not be as technologically savy as the younger generation, but could definately whip everyone of their asses.

Nice!

Although I half expected to see one or two folks here chime in with the panty waist opinion that this guy used excessive force and that the kid should sue him. No need to name names...you know who you are!!! :evil:

just bullshit.

no one would I know on the left would ever begrudge someone defending themselves.

rayboyusmc quote:

"Arrruuuuuuuuuuggaahhh"

I'm asking for purely informational purposes.

I thought it was Hoorah...Or is that what you meant and just spelled it differently. I'm not up to date on military terms, but was just curious.

To be honest, the ARRRUUUUUUUUUGGAAHHH reminds me of one of those old old cars and when you press the horn it goes, ARRRUUUUUUUGGAAHHH. Is there another word used that I don't know about? (I'm sure there are several, but in this regard)

rayboyusmc quote:

"Arrruuuuuuuuuuggaahhh"

I'm asking for purely informational purposes.

I thought it was Hoorah...Or is that what you meant and just spelled it differently. I'm not up to date on military terms, but was just curious.

To be honest, the ARRRUUUUUUUUUGGAAHHH reminds me of one of those old old cars and when you press the horn it goes, ARRRUUUUUUUGGAAHHH. Is there another word used that I don't know about? (I'm sure there are several, but in this regard)

There are several variations of spelling for the same sound. Marines during the time I was in basically said OOH-RAH! and it was spelled that way. The Army came up with HOO-YAH! from somewhere.

If you do the Marine version correctly it can be heard about two blocks away (my neighbors adore me!), and it comes from the gut and sounds like nothing anyone can spell.

The way the Col spells it, you would not hear the "G" annunciated.

How did it start?

And the other thing I'm always curious about is the singing cadence words thing your military does (I had problems trying to get my left foot in front of my right foot without worrying about lyrics), where does that come from?

How did it start?

And the other thing I'm always curious about is the singing cadence words thing your military does (I had problems trying to get my left foot in front of my right foot without worrying about lyrics), where does that come from?

It is actually a war cry, designed to instill terror in an enemy. Anything to confuse, distract, cause hesitation and/or fear is used. From its origin, it has turned into mostly an exclamation of approval.

The purpose of close order drill is to teach unit cohesion, move a unit in an orderly fashion from one place to another, and originated IIRC from Napoleanic line tactics when large units were maneuvered around battlefields.

When teach cadence to recruits ... you start with "Left, right, left" clearly annunciated so they can understand what you are saying, and you it's pretty much in slow motion. You gradually increase the pace to 120 30 inch steps per minute, and gradually toss in your own personal cadence; which, is unidentifiable by any known language to have existed during Mankind's history.

Singing the cadence is an extension of that. That is mostly done when running in formation at doubletime. The songs are called "dity's". They are used to keep cadence and to keep distract the runners' from the pain that makes them want to quit at just about every step after the first 10 or so.

Familiarity with one's Drill Instructor is how the recruits learn the commands. They usually STILL can't understand another Drill Instructor's commands. That's the reason when doing drill in schools out in the Fleet they require that the person calling cadence clearly annuniciate the words.

There are several variations of spelling for the same sound. Marines during the time I was in basically said OOH-RAH! and it was spelled that way. The Army came up with HOO-YAH! from somewhere.

If you do the Marine version correctly it can be heard about two blocks away (my neighbors adore me!), and it comes from the gut and sounds like nothing anyone can spell.

The way the Col spells it, you would not hear the "G" annunciated.

Dude! it is HOO-AH

I stand corrected on my Army Courtesies, Customs and Traditions. I was usually passing them up so fast I didn't have time to hear exactly what they were sayin' .... :eusa_whistle:

That is cause they were breathing so hard they could barely get any words out to begin with.

I was never fast, my best 3 mile PFT was 22 and a half minutes and my usual time was 24 plus. I was an instructor on an Army base for 4 years and ran with the Army BN once cause one of the Soldiers ask me too and the Detachment said it was ok.

They ran so slow even I was having trouble. More like a slow time shuffle for 2 miles. I could have walked the pace they were going. My legs were killing me for a week after that.

Did I mention the army salutes in PT gear and puts the flag up IN the DARK? They salute indoors when reporting as well. I had to report to an Army Col as a student and they tried to get me to salute him at his desk. I politely refused and told them what Marine Corps Regs were on the matter. I was a Lance Corprol at the time and the Army NCO's and SNCO's were flabbergasted I wouldn't cowtow to their demands. The Det 1st Sgt informed them afterwards I was correct and they were wrong. As for the Col. He knew our regs and had no problems with my proper Marine Corps address while reporting to him.

LOL they used to call the det ( detachment) for honor guard people once a month and demand our flagmen show up dress A with boots and trousers bloused. The GySgt would inform them we would show up in what ever equivalent uniform the Army was wearing AND we would be wearing it according to OUR regulations. After about 8 months they quit calling us for Honor Guard detail.

That is cause they were breathing so hard they could barely get any words out to begin with.

I was never fast, my best 3 mile PFT was 22 and a half minutes and my usual time was 24 plus. I was an instructor on an Army base for 4 years and ran with the Army BN once cause one of the Soldiers ask me too and the Detachment said it was ok.

They ran so slow even I was having trouble. More like a slow time shuffle for 2 miles. I could have walked the pace they were going. My legs were killing me for a week after that.

Did I mention the army salutes in PT gear and puts the flag up IN the DARK? They salute indoors when reporting as well. I had to report to an Army Col as a student and they tried to get me to salute him at his desk. I politely refused and told them what Marine Corps Regs were on the matter. I was a Lance Corprol at the time and the Army NCO's and SNCO's were flabbergasted I wouldn't cowtow to their demands. The Det 1st Sgt informed them afterwards I was correct and they were wrong. As for the Col. He knew our regs and had no problems with my proper Marine Corps address while reporting to him.

LOL they used to call the det ( detachment) for honor guard people once a month and demand our flagmen show up dress A with boots and trousers bloused. The GySgt would inform them we would show up in what ever equivalent uniform the Army was wearing AND we would be wearing it according to OUR regulations. After about 8 months they quit calling us for Honor Guard detail.

Yeah, I got caught up in the "salute when reporting indoors" thing. I just rolled my eyes and looked at them like they were crazy and pointed out that I was not under arms.

I also was lectured once by an Army Capt for wearing my sleeves rolled up the Marine way instead of the Army way.

Then there was the time I got nailed going to "dress right, dress" at normal interval. Appparently, the command means at close interval to them. :eusa_eh:

Yeah, I got caught up in the "salute when reporting indoors" thing. I just rolled my eyes and looked at them like they were crazy and pointed out that I was not under arms.

I also was lectured once by an Army Capt for wearing my sleeves rolled up the Marine way instead of the Army way.

Then there was the time I got nailed going to "dress right, dress" at normal interval. Appparently, the command means at close interval to them. :eusa_eh:

LOL for a while the Marines were still wearing white T-shirts and the army had switched to green. A Marine SSgt was accosted by an Army Sgt Major for having his sleeves rolled wrong and wearing a white T-shirt.

The SSgt pointed out he had no name tape either and that if the Sgt Maj would look closely he would find a USMC emblazoned on his pocket. He told him as a Marine he was not a " soldier" ( the Sgt Major was pissed he hadn't responded to him when he was yelling across the quad "soldier, stop" LOL) that his sleeves were rolled correctly and that Marines wore white T-shirts. He gave the pissed of Sgt Maj the Det's phone number, the name of the Ops Chief and the 1st Sgt and left. He told the det what happened and was there when the 1st Sgt further pissed the Sgt Major off by telling him no action would be takne against the SSgt because he had done nothing wrong and then suggesting politely the Sgt Major learn all 4 services regs since the base had students and instructors from all services aboard.

The Det commander was a Captain and he was standing there as it went down. He got the next call and basically told the Sgt Major to go pound sand.

LOL for a while the Marines were still wearing white T-shirts and the army had switched to green. A Marine SSgt was accosted by an Army Sgt Major for having his sleeves rolled wrong and wearing a white T-shirt.

The SSgt pointed out he had no name tape either and that if the Sgt Maj would look closely he would find a USMC emblazoned on his pocket. He told him as a Marine he was not a " soldier" ( the Sgt Major was pissed he hadn't responded to him when he was yelling across the quad "soldier, stop" LOL) that his sleeves were rolled correctly and that Marines wore white T-shirts. He gave the pissed of Sgt Maj the Det's phone number, the name of the Ops Chief and the 1st Sgt and left. He told the det what happened and was there when the 1st Sgt further pissed the Sgt Major off by telling him no action would be takne against the SSgt because he had done nothing wrong and then suggesting politely the Sgt Major learn all 4 services regs since the base had students and instructors from all services aboard.

The Det commander was a Captain and he was standing there as it went down. He got the next call and basically told the Sgt Major to go pound sand.

White t-shirts and utilities? Damn, we're getting old ....:eusa_eh:

When I was in Ranger School we had a Marine Captain who started calling Marine cadence (I guess that what it was) and we all had to look and him and ask, "What the hell did you just say?" Couldn't understand a word of it.

Plus the Captain kept pissing off Colonel Scott by saying Aye aye sir. Col Scott finally told him that he was in an Army School and he was to say Yes Sir. The Captain saluted him and said, "Aye aye sir." He ended up saluting telephone poles for about an hour to get it out of his system.

Forum List

Back