Seems like the lid is coming down...

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by Bullypulpit, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    ...On talk from the White House about the situation in Iraq. This under the guise of not "assessing" the presumed success of "the Surge" until September. Of course, the White House doesn't want to talk about Iraq since the reality on the ground always seems to show their rosy assessment of the situation for the utter bullshit it is.

<blockquote>WASHINGTON, April 27 &#8212; The Bush administration will not try to assess whether the troop increase in Iraq is producing signs of political progress or greater security until September, and many of Mr. Bush&#8217;s top advisers now anticipate that any gains by then will be limited, according to senior administration officials. - <a href=http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/28/washington/28prexy.html?_r=2&th=&oref=slogin&emc=th&pagewanted=print>NYT</a>, 4/28/07</blockquote>

It would also seem, from this article, that rather than holding the Iraqi government to any benchmarks regarding the deployment of Iraqi troops and security forces, the Administration seems content to let our troops bear the brunt of what should be the responsibility of the Iraqis.

The upshot of this would appear to be the deployments of more of our troops extended...yet again...and more of our troops sent into the meat-grinder without adequate rest and recuperation or training. More of our blood and treasure spent to salve the twisted ego of the man we call "Mr. President".

2. red states rule

red states rule Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    The nly lid I see coming down is the toilet lid coming down on Dems and their surrender bill

3. Bullypulpit

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    The only surrender I see is you to your delusions.

4. red states rule

red states rule Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    Your Dems cannot beat back the veto - so Dems are in a corner

Will they fund the troops without the surrender date and allow the troops to win this war, or will they push for defeat as they have been doing?

5. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    I can see not assessing the situation for a period of time. Attempting to assess the situation too soon will result in skewed results.

I do believe the Government of Iraq should be put in the vise on the issue of assuming responsibility.

I don't agree with the last bit of partisan rhetoric.

6. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Too bad the world isn't as simplistic as you seem to think it is.

7. actsnoblemartin

actsnoblemartin I love Andrea & April

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +407
    can we stop with the insults. We're supposed to be in this together.

Did you both forget, al queda will kill BOTH Of you?

8. Bullypulpit

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Wrong again! Congress has provided the funding the President requested for the troops, It's just that Chimpy doesn't like being held accountable for his actions. It's a life-long pattern for him. And that's why Bush's fighting bringing the troops home...So someone else can clean up the mess he's made, and be blamed if they botch it. Our soldiers are continuing to die as a salve for his ego. I would've said 'conscience', but that's so deeply buried as to be almost non-existent.

9. actsnoblemartin

actsnoblemartin I love Andrea & April

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +407
    bullypulpit :), what do you want the timetable to be. I say if were there longer then 24 months. I'll be pissed, cause i doubt we will see that much more progress by then, considering the iraqi government wants to take two months off this summer.

10. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    The funding is provided with riders. Riders waste taxpayer dollars, and in this case, push a partisan agenda. The funding should be stand-alone legislation.

I think ALL proposed legislation should stand on its own, but that's a seprate topic.