Al Qaida Leader Caught in Iraq

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by red states rule, Apr 28, 2007.

1. red states rule

red states rule Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    Libs have to deal with the fact that Al Qaeda is the real problem in Iraq

Pentagon: al-Qaida Operative Captured

Apr 27 11:24 AM US/Eastern
    By ROBERT BURNS
    AP Military Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Pentagon announced Friday the capture of one of al-Qaida's most senior and most experienced operatives, an Iraqi who was trying to return to his native country when he was captured.
    Bryan Whitman, a Pentagon spokesman, said the captive is Abd al-Hadi al-Iraqi. He was received by the Pentagon this week from the CIA, Whitman said, but the spokesman would not say where or when al-Iraqi was captured or by whom.

The Pentagon described Al-Iraqi as an associate of al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden and as someone who may have been targeting Westerners outside of Iraq.

The Pentagon took custody of al-Iraqi at Guantanamo Bay, the detention center for terror suspects, Whitman said. He is the 15th so-called high-value detainee to be taken to Guantanamo Bay after being held by the CIA in secret prisons abroad. The other 14 were sent to Guantanamo Bay last September and have since undergone military hearings there to affirm their status as enemy combatants eligible for military trials.

Whitman said al-Iraqi was believed responsible for plotting cross- border attacks from Pakistan on U.S. forces in Afghanistan, and that he led an effort to assassinate Pakistan's president, Gen. Pervez Musharraf, as well as unspecified officials of the United Nations.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8OP1BT80&show_article=1

2. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Like cutting off a head on the Hydra.

3. actsnoblemartin

actsnoblemartin I love Andrea & April

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +407
    Gunny. We have to go after al queda though dont we?

4. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    One does not "go after al Qaeda" by embroiling itself in another county's civil war. Our focus on al Qaeda was lost the second we diverted attention by invading Iraq.

We've got our forces bogged dowm between two Arab, Islamofascist groups bent on killing each other instead of hunting terrorists.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. maineman

maineman BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    EXACTLY!!!!!!

6. actsnoblemartin

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +407
    Will somebody please explain to me, what exactly is a civil war, and how do we know, beyond a reasonable doubt that a civil war is going on?.

Im just asking :)

7. actsnoblemartin

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +407
  8. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Iraq is comprised of several different religious/ethnic factions. The Kurds are just sitting off to the side letting the Sunni and Shia kill each other off, but they ARE an ethnic minority and a player in the game.

Shi'ism is a faction of Islam originating in and supported by Iran. The sunni's are supported by Saudi Arabia. Wahabbism in particular is a Sunni subsect begun after WWII in Saudi Arabia to offset the then rapid spread of Shi'ism in the west. Both Islamic sects have a common enemy to focus their hatred on -- the US and Israel.

The Sunni's and Shia are currently waging a war against each other for control of the government of Iraq. The government of Iraq and the US are sitting in between the two factions.

While it may currently be a civil war, it is in the bigger picture a battle between Saudi Arabia and Iran for consolidating control of power in the region, and controlling Iraq's resources. The only faction missing in the fight is it was assumed back in the 90's the power vaccum would include Syria, but Syria has chosen to sit this one out and lend only clandestine support.

9. actsnoblemartin

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +407
    The winner of this civil war. Assuming we leave of course, will they we be a long term threat to the stability of the middle east, and then eventually the u.s.??

I concede the point to you, because I do believe youre right and that a civil war is going on.

Thank you so much for explaining it to me :)

10. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    How many "high level" al Qaeda leaders have been captured or killed in Iraq now? Three? Four? Five? And, don't forget, there was no al Qaeda presence in Iraq prior to Bush's invasion and occupation of said country.

And you're right Gunny, cut one head off this particular serpent and two more spring up in its place.