Secret to getting poor kids to do well in school is...

Dekster

Platinum Member
Dec 11, 2014
having free washers and dryers. How Two Simple Laundry Machines Increased Attendance of Underprivileged Students by Over 90%

...According to TODAY Parents, the Whirlpool Care Counts program provided 17 schools in low-income areas with a washing machine and dryer each, along with all the necessary items: laundry bags, garbage bags, detergent and fabric softener. Those schools then chose a group of students who had each missed more than 10 days of school to bring their clothes and have them washed while they sat in class. It might not seem like the promise of clean laundry would be a big motivator to attend school and pay attention, but not only did the program work, it worked really, really well.

Out of all the children who participated in the program, 93% of them increased their attendance rates in the first year, according to the Whirlpool Care Counts website. In fact, Whirlpool reported that, “at-risk participants attended almost two more weeks of school than the previous year,” with the average number of days missed dropping from 11.9 to only 3.5.

But sheer attendance numbers alone weren’t the only things that improved significantly. Teachers at participating schools reported an 89% increase in classroom participation, 95% increase in students’ motivation, and a 95% increase in extra-curricular activities. During the first year, each student washed an average of 50 loads of laundry at school using the Whirlpool machines....

Making school less aversive to kids. What a novel concept.

Maybe. Maybe it is a variation of the Hawthorne effect. Hard to say whether it is having the clean clothes that gets them there or if it is because having the machines there makes the students feel like the school cares about them and better performance is there way of saying thanks. Worth looking into further I think.

Maybe. Maybe it is a variation of the Hawthorne effect. Hard to say whether it is having the clean clothes that gets them there or if it is because having the machines there makes the students feel like the school cares about them and better performance is there way of saying thanks. Worth looking into further I think.
I bet having clean clothes that won't get you made fun of makes school a lot less aversive.

I bet having clean clothes that won't get you made fun of makes school a lot less aversive.

I am skeptical that that alone would explain such improved outcomes over so many variables.

Getting kids to physically enter the school building is often the least of the challenge.

Kids who need a washer/dryer because they can't afford it probably get free (or at least rescued lunch). They already have tons of incentive to get to school. It's like how people might assume that the drug dealers wouldn't bother to come to school...the drug dealing kids never miss school...who do you think their customers are? Lol

Kids who need a washer/dryer because they can't afford it probably get free (or at least rescued lunch). They already have tons of incentive to get to school. It's like how people might assume that the drug dealers wouldn't bother to come to school...the drug dealing kids never miss school...who do you think their customers are? Lol

I don't even want to know what a rescued lunch is. I will assume you meant reduced price and got autocorrected.

I don't even want to know what a rescued lunch is. I will assume you meant reduced price and got autocorrected.

That's precisely what happened lol.

The problem with poverty and education is not clean clothes but to convince kids to go school for an education. Many poor kids see no relationship between and education and the way they live, and we have yet not found a way to show them the relationship. "Teach for America" is one of many attempts to solve the problem. Another problem is the way schools are financed by districts, rich districts can offer a good education to its rich kids, and poor districts offer a poor education. They are not the same.

Kids who are motivated and supported can get an excellent education in low-income districts.

Yup. Poor kids will work hard if they get paid. Same as adults that way.

Forum List

Back