Secret to getting poor kids to do well in school is...

I was going to suggest beatings,lots of beatings.....

Most of them know more than enough about that.

They didnt learn it from dad thats for sure....

A great many did.

You mean out of the 28% of the households with two parents?
I would think they would be the least abusive to be honest and the other 72% would be more likely to get their ass kicked by the latest baby daddy.

Wow, only 28% of all households in America have two parents?
who said only 28% of all households in America (I assume you mean the United States) have two parents
Ive read through but have not found it, I would like to give them crap for such a made up wrong number also.

I can see why.

No kid wants to sit there in dirty clothes because they're going to get fucked with by other kids.

Hell I can remember kids in my junior high/high school getting teased because their clothes stunk all the time, two in particular that I remember, so I know it happens.

Does it explain the whole thing? I dunno, but I can see how it could help some kids...

having free washers and dryers. How Two Simple Laundry Machines Increased Attendance of Underprivileged Students by Over 90%

...According to TODAY Parents, the Whirlpool Care Counts program provided 17 schools in low-income areas with a washing machine and dryer each, along with all the necessary items: laundry bags, garbage bags, detergent and fabric softener. Those schools then chose a group of students who had each missed more than 10 days of school to bring their clothes and have them washed while they sat in class. It might not seem like the promise of clean laundry would be a big motivator to attend school and pay attention, but not only did the program work, it worked really, really well.

Out of all the children who participated in the program, 93% of them increased their attendance rates in the first year, according to the Whirlpool Care Counts website. In fact, Whirlpool reported that, “at-risk participants attended almost two more weeks of school than the previous year,” with the average number of days missed dropping from 11.9 to only 3.5.

But sheer attendance numbers alone weren’t the only things that improved significantly. Teachers at participating schools reported an 89% increase in classroom participation, 95% increase in students’ motivation, and a 95% increase in extra-curricular activities. During the first year, each student washed an average of 50 loads of laundry at school using the Whirlpool machines....

Great concept. It fits a personal experience I had volunteering for HeadStart as a H.S. student. The "do-gooders" opened a HeadStart school on a peninsula which was 90% white upper middle class --- when the potential students were 3 miles across the river in the "other part of town". Opened the doors --- and NOTHING HAPPENED. No students. SURPRISE...

So then they went over the bridge to figure this out. And it wasn't transportation -- the problem was the parents were embarassed to send their kids over to the beach without decent clothes and shoes. So 2 weeks with NO kids in HeadStart -- we were doing a clothing drive and distributing stuff into the community.

1/2 way thru the program that summer --- we started getting kids. Recognized some of the clothes. Got some results. But I learned a LOT about "federal programs" and who really makes them work.
'
That's why the Obama/leftist meme of "you didn't do that" -- pisses me off so much to this day,.....

I can see why.

No kid wants to sit there in dirty clothes because they're going to get fucked with by other kids.

Hell I can remember kids in my junior high/high school getting teased because their clothes stunk all the time, two in particular that I remember, so I know it happens.

Does it explain the whole thing? I dunno, but I can see how it could help some kids...

You're mixing social contexts.

I can see why.

no, I'm not.

I can see why.

no, I'm not.

You may not realize it, but you are.

I can see why.

no, I'm not.

You may not realize it, but you are.

well then point out how instead of just claiming it is so.

I see a study that shows correlation between increased attendance and kids getting access to clean clothes.

I provide an example of why this could be. I don't even claim that it is, I claim it could be a contributing factor, as I've witnessed first hand how kids that show up filthy get picked on, which one could infer would make some kids not want to come to school so as to avoid that embarrassment.

Now removing that negative motivating factor by giving them clean clothes we (or I) can then infer that this might therefore contribute to relatively improved attendance.

so, if that is mixing social contexts explain how.

New Topics

Forum List

Back