Second Seattle Victim Dies as Community Grieves

Jackson

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010
Nashville

A second victim of Friday’s shootings at Marysville-Pilchuck High School has died. Gia Soriano, 14, died late Sunday at Providence Regional Medical Center. Earlier Sunday, the community gathered at the school gym to grieve together.

On Sunday, Marysville-Pilchuck students and community members gathered to grieve and try to make sense of the shootings by Fryberg, a member of the freshman football team who had recently been named a homecoming prince.

Three wounded students remained hospitalized in Everett and Seattle.

Second victim dies as community grieves Local News The Seattle Times

Lives of our children snuffed out in a moment. Over a girl. Parents, lock up you guns.

My prayers for the families of the victims and the shooter. Prayers for all who were there that day. Innocence shattered.

Raising children who have never learned to accept loss and disappointment doesn't work.
You know, on the surface that comment seems mean, but you are right.

Let's just hope that they are learning to deal with this properly and out in the open with family and friends.

My heart goes out to the family and friends. A parent should never have to bury their child. America needs to wake up to the mental health issues in this country.

From all accounts, the shooter was a well liked, normal boy. It was just a quick mindless action that prompted the boy because he was embarrassed. The locked gun would have saved lives.

When I was a kid, all guns had trigger locks and were also locked in a gun cabinet or rack. I do the same...

From all accounts, the shooter was a well liked, normal boy. It was just a quick mindless action that prompted the boy because he was embarrassed. The locked gun would have saved lives.
So much went wrong before the gun entered the story... locking the gun up may have made no difference. Do we even know that it wasn't secured? Kids can break into stuff...

It wasn't quick, he took the gun went to school, either drove or walked, took a bus?

The shooting took place at 10:43 am, several hours after school started.

This was a intentional shooting.

When I was a kid, all guns had trigger locks and were also locked in a gun cabinet or rack. I do the same...

Mine too...and my father's before...yet I never had a problem finding where he hid the key to the gun locker or the liquor cabinet when I was a kid. When he got a locker with a combination lock I was able to hone my future hacking skills figuring out the combination....which turned out to be easy, he had it written down on a piece of paper he kept in his wallet.

Point is...there is no such thing as foolproof security and an determined person will find a way to breach security standing in between themselves and what they want. That's not saying not to take reasonable security measures...but it's not a panacea.

Rule 1: Shit happens
Rule 2: When all your best precautions fail, refer to rule 1.

Mine too...and my father's before...yet I never had a problem finding where he hid the key to the gun locker or the liquor cabinet when I was a kid. When he got a locker with a combination lock I was able to hone my future hacking skills figuring out the combination....which turned out to be easy, he had it written down on a piece of paper he kept in his wallet.

Point is...there is no such thing as foolproof security and an determined person will find a way to breach security standing in between themselves and what they want. That's not saying not to take reasonable security measures...but it's not a panacea.

You're probably right.

It wasn't quick, he took the gun went to school, either drove or walked, took a bus?

Yes, he had hours to change his mind.

You're probably right.

So it wasn't a "quick mindless action," he had time to think over his actions.

Sent from my iPad using an Android.

A second victim of Friday’s shootings at Marysville-Pilchuck High School has died. Gia Soriano, 14, died late Sunday at Providence Regional Medical Center. Earlier Sunday, the community gathered at the school gym to grieve together.

On Sunday, Marysville-Pilchuck students and community members gathered to grieve and try to make sense of the shootings by Fryberg, a member of the freshman football team who had recently been named a homecoming prince.

Three wounded students remained hospitalized in Everett and Seattle.

Second victim dies as community grieves Local News The Seattle Times

Lives of our children snuffed out in a moment. Over a girl. Parents, lock up you guns.

My prayers for the families of the victims and the shooter. Prayers for all who were there that day. Innocence shattered.

Marysville isn't Seattle. It's not even a suburb of Seattle. Seattle is in King County and around 40 miles south of Marysville which is in Snohomish county. Seattle is the largest city in Washington. Marysville is a small rural town with mostly farmers, loggers, and some Boeing workers. The Tulalip Indian reservation is on the west side of the town and the reservation borders Puget Sound.

If you drive north from Seattle you have to go through about 7 towns or cities to get to Marysville. One of which is the 4th largest city in the state.

Yes another child has died.

It's one of the reasons why I don't believe everyone should have a gun or access to a gun. That boy was one of them.

I'm proud to say that I voted for I 594. Hopefully it will pass. The last poll I saw on it had 72% approval and support for be initiative. We will find out a week from tomorrow.

Raising children who have never learned to accept loss and disappointment doesn't work.

You don't know the situation and you're putting stupid stereotypes on people.

That boy was rejected by his mom and some other family members. When that girl rejected him he lost it. He got a gun and started shooting. He aimed it at the kids he he wanted to take with him in death.

Last edited:

That boy was rejected by his mom and some other family members. When that girl rejected him he lost it. He got a gun and started shooting. He aimed it at the kids he he wanted to take with him in death.

I didn't know the boy was rejected by his mother and other family members. When did this happen?

I didn't know the boy was rejected by his mother and other family members. When did this happen?

Things happen. I don't know when it happened.

My daughter goes to school with a girl who knows everyone involved. She's also Tulalip Indian and lives on the reservation. She grew up with everyone involved and went to school with them until the middle of last year. Her boyfriend still goes to the same school as those involved. That girl is a friend of my daughter. She's stayed at our house for the weekend several times and is a delightful, smart girl. When we first heard about the shooting my daughter called that girl. That girl told her the whole story.

Something that I found shocking was that her parents sent her to school today. While the public high school is closed for the week. My daughter said that the girl is very devastated and couldn't do her school work today. She offered to take that girl home early from school. If it were my daughter I wouldn't have sent her to school.

This is a Tulalip Indian tribal situation. All those involved were or are Tulalip Indian so the situation will be taken care of by the tribe. The first funeral will be this week. There will be two more for the others who died. The funerals will be Tulalip Indian rituals and handled completely by the tribe. Only tribal members can attend the funerals. My daughter originally wanted to go with her friend to support her but can't because she's not Tulalip Indian.

I'm proud to say that I voted for I 594. Hopefully it will pass. The last poll I saw on it had 72% approval and support for be initiative. We will find out a week from tomorrow.
Gonna have to cancel out your vote. The initiative wouldn't have prevented this.

I agree, it might have been another law broken, however it would prevent what happened.

You're probably right.

So it wasn't a "quick mindless action," he had time to think over his actions.

Sent from my iPad using an Android.

Your are right it was not a quick mindless action. Today I read he actually texted his friends and family members ( who he shot) to meet him in the cafeteria.

Gonna have to cancel out your vote. The initiative wouldn't have prevented this.

I agree, it might have been another law broken, however it would prevent what happened.
How so?

What is I-594?
Initiative 594 is the latest and most comprehensive attempt to restrict the rights of law-abiding gun owners in the Evergreen State. Although proponents describe it as a “universal background check” measure, Initiative 594 is in reality a universal handgun registration scheme. Under I-594, every time a handgun is transferred, the person receiving the handgun will have their name added to the government database being maintained by the state Department of Licensing.

Forum List

Back