Secession

Agnapostate

Rookie
Sep 19, 2008
The Quake State
There was a thread in November regarding the legality of individual states seceding from the Union. Now I wish to turn to a broader issue; the theoretical aspects of any region or territory that functioned as a component of a larger nation-state choosing to secede from that larger nation-state. What are the ethical issues involved with secession? Should it be determined by democratic referendum in the respective region or territory? Should it require the consent of the larger nation-state?

Though secession is often infamously linked to the Confederacy, it cannot be forgotten that the American Revolution technically constituted a secession rather than a revolution inasmuch as the American colonies declared independence from Great Britain and merely attempted to establish rule over themselves in a union rather than to overthrow the British monarchy and establish republican government throughout the British empire.

There was a thread in November regarding the legality of individual states seceding from the Union. Now I wish to turn to a broader issue; the theoretical aspects of any region or territory that functioned as a component of a larger nation-state choosing to secede from that larger nation-state.

Regions don't secede, PEOPLE secede.

What are the ethical issues involved with secession?

Good question

Should it be determined by democratic referendum in the respective region or territory?

Probably should, seldom is, though.

Should it require the consent of the larger nation-state?

Only if they have the larger army would be my guess,

Though secession is often infamously linked to the Confederacy, it cannot be forgotten that the American Revolution technically constituted a secession rather than a revolution inasmuch as the American colonies declared independence from Great Britain and merely attempted to establish rule over themselves in a union rather than to overthrow the British monarchy and establish republican government throughout the British empire.

Yup.

Of course it took the colonial aristos a much longer time to want that non-monarchist form of government than it did the many of commoners of the colonies.

There was a thread in November regarding the legality of individual states seceding from the Union. Now I wish to turn to a broader issue; the theoretical aspects of any region or territory that functioned as a component of a larger nation-state choosing to secede from that larger nation-state. What are the ethical issues involved with secession? Should it be determined by democratic referendum in the respective region or territory? Should it require the consent of the larger nation-state?

Just wait until it's clear this 800 billion dollar liberal spending orgy the American people got rammed down their throat by pelosi, reid and obama is a complete failure, and they want to spend more. I think we're going to find out how secession works then, or revolution.

Just wait until it's clear this 800 billion dollar liberal spending orgy the American people got rammed down their throat by pelosi, reid and obama is a complete failure, and they want to spend more. I think we're going to find out how secession works then, or revolution.

So if the stimulus doesn't succeed, the people will want to secede? I think we have the makings of a bumper sticker here.

So if the stimulus doesn't succeed, the people will want to secede? I think we have the makings of a bumper sticker here.

The people are getting restless. They're not going to put up with much more. Something is bound to happen.

The people are getting restless. They're not going to put up with much more. Something is bound to happen.

I really am afraid it's going to be another "crisis" stimulus package.

I vote revolution.

Forum List

Back