Sebelius: I can’t suspend the lung-transplant rules for a dying 10-year-old

A profit motive doesn't fix everything

Strawman. I never stated nor implied that.

and it doesn't address a fundamental truth about organs: they are scarce no matter what.

So frickin' what? Just because a commodity is scarce does not mean profit cannot be sought or that competition cannot take place.

Strawman. I never stated that profit cannot be sought or competion can not take place with a scarce commodity.

LOTS of scare commodities out there that are traded in markets.

Sorry, but your argument fails miserably.

Your argument is stalled.

You have yet to show that selling organs as opposed to donating them would increase supply as opposed to simply making them more expensive.

The right of self-ownership makes my organs mine to dispose of as I see fit.

It sounds like what you object to is the concept of donating organs. You want to get the money now, and they don't get the organs until you die. The problem is, no one would buy them. There is no guarantee that those organs would be in the slightest bit useable. There's no guarantee that you wouldn't have sold those organs to half a dozen people either. Like selling babies. Pregnant women will sell a baby (when it is born) to a bunch of people and then never be seen again.
Other than the current monopoly model of organ distribution, I object to nothing.

Insofar as your guarantee argument goes, the guarantor would be the organ broker or some other third party, that would screen for worthiness of the marketed organs...Happens all the time...Ever heard of Underwriter's Laboratories?

Were I so inclined to sell one of my kidneys to a suitable person in need of one, that should be nobody's business but ours.

The selling babies for their organs thing is just plain absurd...That's more likely to happen in a communistic environment with a eugenicist running the show, than in an honest free enterprise environment.

See how self-ownership works here?

Actually it's NOT absurb. It could just as easily happen in a "honest" free enterprise environment and in fact, it did.

You have yet to show that selling organs as opposed to donating them would increase supply as opposed to simply making them more expensive.

EVERYTHING for which a demand exists and that offers the opportunity for profit produces a greater supply than if no profit potential existed. This is why people go to work in the morning...to make money. You're suggesting the basic profit motive does not apply in the case of organs...with no evidence whatsoever.

Why don't you provide us with one example...just one...where donations produce a greater supply of any commodity than when there is an opportunity to make profit.

Then you can tell us how competition makes things more expensive...:cuckoo:

Personally, I think you're out of your fucking mind. But don't let that stop you from providing us a real example. Just one please. The floor is yours.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back