Sears and Amazon full circle

TroglocratsRdumb

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2017

Founded as a mail-order watch company in the late 19th century, Sears, Roebuck and Company made its name with its thick catalogs that advertised everything from underwear to entire house kits. Around the holidays, families across the country would circle items in its legendary “Wish Book.”
But by the 1990s, Sears began to struggle. After 132 years in business, former retail giant Sears filed for bankruptcy in October 2018, announcing it would close 142 unprofitable stores in the face of mounting competition from Amazon.com.

Comment:
Yea people used to love ordering stuff from the Sears catalog.
Sears stores used to be the retail anchor of most shopping malls.
Amazon has devastated the bricks and mortar retail stores.
But now Amazon is starting to have their own "Amazon Go" stores.
In many ways Amazon has evolved like Sears evolved.
Amazon started out as internet shopping, and now they are building their own retail food stores.
Have you been to an Amazon store?

Founded as a mail-order watch company in the late 19th century, Sears, Roebuck and Company made its name with its thick catalogs that advertised everything from underwear to entire house kits. Around the holidays, families across the country would circle items in its legendary “Wish Book.”
But by the 1990s, Sears began to struggle. After 132 years in business, former retail giant Sears filed for bankruptcy in October 2018, announcing it would close 142 unprofitable stores in the face of mounting competition from Amazon.com.

Comment:
Amazon started out as internet shopping, and now they are building their own retail food stores.

I quit using them many months ago when they promised to use my dollars to kill babies with. Why would I use their B&M stores?

There's still a couple of Sears homes in town right next to each other. The components came in by train and were offloaded and toted up Main St. to the building site on West Main St.

They are both (by and large) like this one:

R.c4db6271572ea682555faddf8dac56f9

They were both owed/lived-in by the only Jewish family in town at the time. They owned a couple of clothing stores in town.

One of them (a childhood friend) still lives in one of them and both are still in very good repair.

Comment:
Sears was a fine example of what happens when bad management meets complacency. Management should have been aware of what Amazon was doing. They had the mail order business model down pat and all the pieces were in place. If there ever was a business that could have given Amazon a run for their money, Sears was it.

Sears was a fine example of what happens when bad management meets complacency. Management should have been aware of what Amazon was doing. They had the mail order business model down pat and all the pieces were in place. If there ever was a business that could have given Amazon a run for their money, Sears was it.
Yes, Sears missed the boat on internet shopping.
Walmart also took its toll on Sears.
Walmart does have internet shopping.
I think that the retail looting wave might put the bricks and mortar stores out of business.
Maybe most shopping will become an order and deliver service.

Yes, Sears missed the boat on internet shopping.
Walmart also took its toll on Sears.
Walmart does have internet shopping.
I think that the retail looting wave might put the bricks and mortar stores out of business.
Maybe most shopping will become an order and deliver service.
Agreed. Walmart is positioning themselves to be serious competition for Amazon. It is an easy move for them into the cyber marketplace and they already have the distribution network. I see a time in the not-to-distant future when there will be fewer brick and mortar Walmarts and a much larger footprint in Amazon's realm. I am waiting for congress to start throwing around the Sherman act though.

Forum List

Back