Scott Brown (R-MA) Introduces legislation to prohibit congress from insider trading

Do You Support Scott Brown's (R-MA) Bill

• Yes

Votes: 38 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Go Senator Brown! This bill should have no problem passing and I think both sides of the aisle can support it.

If you don't support the bill lets discuss why.

Senate to hear Scott Brown insider trading bill - BostonHerald.com

A day after U.S. Sen. Scott Brown filed a bill to prohibit insider trading in Congress, a key Senate committee has agreed to hold a public hearing on the measure.

The Massachusetts Republican’s bill would bar members or employees of Congress and the executive branch from using nonpublic information obtained through their public service for the purpose of investing for personal financial gain.

Sen. Joe Lieberman, chairman of the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs announced Wednesday that the committee would hold a hearing to examine how insider trading laws apply to Congress.

Lieberman, an independent from Connecticut, said the hearing was also sparked by a report by CBS’ "60 Minutes" and is intended to clarify the laws and rules that govern members of Congress who may profit from non-public information

Whew!!​

You made this post 11-17-2011.....and, Republicans (and, those 2010 Teabaggin' Congressional-Heroes) STILL haven't brought it up, for a vote??!!!!

323.png

It appears a matter o'....

....for Brownie.

He was a good (i.e. REAL) Conservative.

Whatta drag John Boner cut-off people (like Brown), at-the-knees.....in-deference-to Teabaggers.​

Go Senator Brown! This bill should have no problem passing and I think both sides of the aisle can support it.

A day after U.S. Sen. Scott Brown filed a bill to prohibit insider trading in Congress, a key Senate committee has agreed to hold a public hearing on the measure.

The Massachusetts Republican’s bill would bar members or employees of Congress and the executive branch from using nonpublic information obtained through their public service for the purpose of investing for personal financial gain.

Sen. Joe Lieberman, chairman of the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs announced Wednesday that the committee would hold a hearing to examine how insider trading laws apply to Congress.

Lieberman, an independent from Connecticut, said the hearing was also sparked by a report by CBS’ "60 Minutes" and is intended to clarify the laws and rules that govern members of Congress who may profit from non-public information

Gee, I wonder where he got that idea from?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTAKktjpxmY]Obama asks for bill to end insider trading in Congress - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTAKktjpxmY]Obama asks for bill to end insider trading in Congress - YouTube[/ame]
I'm pretty-certain Scott Brown can't see into-the-Future.
(Better check your dates.)

:eusa_whistle:

How do you know the "he" wasn't President Obama?

Scott, the Senatorfold, Brown is feeling the true people's advocate, Elizabeth Warren, breathing down his neck so he's trying to appear more the representative of the people. He's a phoney.

(I do like his bill though)

Elizabeth Warren is the best choice. This woman was trying to stop the economic meltdown in 2005 if my memory serves me well.

Scott Brown is presenting a facade. Lieberman saying that a committee needs to review how laws apply to members of congress...... hey Joe come in from left field.

Whew!!​

You made this post 11-17-2011.....and, Republicans (and, those 2010 Teabaggin' Congressional-Heroes) STILL haven't brought it up, for a vote??!!!!

323.png

It appears a matter o'....

....for Brownie.

He was a good (i.e. REAL) Conservative.

Whatta drag John Boner cut-off people (like Brown), at-the-knees.....in-deference-to Teabaggers.​

Brown is a Senator, did the Democrats bring it up for a vote?

Since he proposed it back in November my guess it was not from Obama's speech last night. Feel free to argue otherwise though.

Because you made the post?

If you ever need a clue you are completely wrong about something, Shaman actually scoring a point off of you is a good indication.

Am I to believe that at present, it's legal for congressmen to engage in insider trading? :eusa_eh:
yep. how do you think Algore became a millionaire? Knowing about all sorts of green legislation that could benefit his new investing with billions in tax dollars to his buddies

Brown is a Senator, did the Democrats bring it up for a vote?

A better question is will the GOP filibuster it.

UPDATE: 5:15 p.m. -- A cloture vote is now scheduled for 5:30 p.m. on Monday (1/30), requiring 60 votes, Reid said on the Senate floor Thursday.

WASHINGTON -- A Senate bill banning the trading of corporate stocks by members of Congress based on nonpublic political information will see a vote next week, according to Democratic sources working on the bill.

"It'll be on the floor next week, either hotlined or an actual vote," one source said of the bill, known as the STOCK Act. Hotlining refers to the process of moving a bill through by unanimous consent.

A separate Democratic aide said that negotiations over amendments were still ongoing, which would make hotlining more difficult. A Democratic leadership aide, meanwhile, would only say that a vote was "possible."

The STOCK Act, authored by Sens. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) and Scott Brown (R-Mass.), would ban trading by members of Congress guided by nonpublic economic or political information. It would also improve disclosures of all stock trades and other financial maneuvers by members of Congress, by requiring them to publicly detail each transaction within 30 days. Lawmakers are currently granted a full year of secrecy before disclosing such financial activities.

The bill received a big boost on Tuesday when President Barack Obama called for its enactment during the State of the Union address.

"Send me a bill that bans insider trading by members of Congress; I will sign it tomorrow," Obama said.

Immediately after the speech, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) told reporters he would back the bill.

STOCK Act: Insider Trading Bill To Receive Senate Vote Next Week [UPDATE]

Check the fucking date, idiot.

Scott Brown introduced the 'insider trading' bill in November 2011.

Obama gets his panties in a wad about insider trading January 2012.

So.... who got the idea from who?

Your Messiah got it from Brown.

Idiot.

Brown is just pandering for votes. I hope Elizabeth Warren kicks his ass.
hope all you want. This bill will also prove something else conclusively.

If the Occupados do not get 100% behind Scott Brown and this legislation, we can see yet ANOTHER confirmation it was never about doing the right thing or what they claimed to be against corporate/government collusion.

If the bill does not include a provision barring congressmen from contact with lobbyists who work for industries they own stock in then it is useless. I am certain most insider information comes in the form of bribes from lobbyists.

Forum List

Back