Scientists say they've found a "God particle"

emptystep

VIP Member
Jul 17, 2012
Scientists say they've found a "God particle" - CBS News
Physicists say they are now confident they have discovered a long-sought subatomic particle known as a Higgs boson.

The European Organization for Nuclear Research, or CERN, says a look at all the data from 2012 shows that what they found last year was a version of what is popularly referred to as the "God particle."

CERN physicist Joe Incandela said in a statement Thursday, "It is clear that we are dealing with a Higgs boson, though we still have a long way to go to know what kind of Higgs boson it is."

The journey down into the subatomic particles is quite fascinating. Things get really strange down there. Yes, even stranger than they are up here. On second thought....

This helps to understand where mass comes from, something previously inexplicable.

This helps to understand where mass comes from, something previously inexplicable.

I it has been a while since I have had the opportunity to keep up with this stuff. Where is the grand unified theory and is this going to help in that search?

They can call it what they want. Using the word "God" seems typically pompous in the current scientific community or the ignorant media for that matter.

They can call it what they want. Using the word "God" seems typically pompous in the current scientific community or the ignorant media for that matter.

The search for the Higgs boson | CERN
The Higgs boson

In the 1970s, physicists realized that there are very close ties between two of the four fundamental forces – the weak force and the electromagnetic force. The two forces can be described within the same theory, which forms the basis of the Standard Model. This “unification” implies that electricity, magnetism, light and some types of radioactivity are all manifestations of a single underlying force known an the electroweak force.

Higgs boson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In mainstream media the Higgs boson is often referred to as the "God particle," from a 1993 book on the topic; the sobriquet is strongly disliked by many physicists, who regard it as inappropriate sensationalism.

I have no issue with the term the "God particle". I take it as in a living God as in God is in all things. The fascination in snowflake or a bumblebee is nothing compared to the fundamental thought of God in the Higgs boson. If God could be thought of as a human mind we are his consciousness and the Higgs boson is his deepest subconsciousness.

(I'm working on my homework. Honest! :D )

Things can really get twisted around when we are so touchy about things.

The story goes that the scientist was looking for the predicted particle and, its being so difficult, exclaimed "that God damned particle!" Since damned got too much attention, the term got shortened. There was also a play on the fact that it is so fundamental to the physical existence of the universe. So, if you are truly, really, deeply 'religious', you can actually take it for a compliment. But you probably won't.

Forum List

Back