"Scary" warming at poles

Scary warming at poles showing up at weird times, places

"Scientists are seeing surprising melting in Earth's polar regions at times they don't expect, like winter, and in places they don't expect, like eastern Antarctica."

"The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Tuesday released its annual Arctic report card, detailing the second warmest year on record in the Arctic and problems, including record low winter sea ice in parts of the region, increased toxic algal blooms, which are normally a warm water phenomenon, and weather changes in the rest of the country attributable to what's happening in the far North.
NOAA reveals Arctic Ocean has lost 95% of its oldest ice
"The Arctic is experiencing the most unprecedented transition in human history," report lead author Emily Osborne, chief of Arctic research for NOAA, said Tuesday."

I thought you guys were telling us how cold it had been up there; how there'd been no loss of ice in 11 years. Everything was hunky dory? What the fuck dudes?
Your links are to ABC, and not NOAA.
I went to NOAA and looked up this year's icecap. It contraindicates warming trends. Here:

Arctic sea ice extent for November averaged 9.80 million square kilometers (3.78 million square miles). This was the ninth lowest November in the 1979 to 2018 satellite record, falling 900,000 square kilometers (347,000 square miles) below the 1981 to 2010 average, yet 1.14 million square kilometers (440,000 square miles) above the record November low in 2016.

Sea ice extent increased quite rapidly during the early part of the month, bringing the extent within the interdecile range of the 1981 to 2010 climatology during the latter half of the month. This was due in part to the Laptev Sea finally freezing up after having extensive open water through the end of October, as discussed in our previous post. There was also considerable ice growth in Hudson Bay, Baffin Bay, the Chukchi Sea, and the Kara Sea. This rapid growth is not particularly surprising. As the sun has set in the Arctic, the atmosphere has strongly cooled. As soon as the remaining open ocean water loses its heat to the atmosphere, ice growth occurs. Further, the increased area of open water in summer had led to increased frequency of rapid ice growth events in mid to late autumn, in which more than 1 million square kilometers (386,000 square miles) of ice can form within a 7-day period (see Stroeve and Notz, 2018).

Despite relatively fast ice growth during November, at the end of the month substantial open water still remained in the Chukchi and Barents Seas. The Chukchi Sea was in general completely ice covered by the end of November in the 1980s through to the early 2000s. However, low ice extent in the Chukchi Sea into late autumn has become quite common in recent years and this year’s extent is comparable to the new normal for this time of year in the region. Similarly, in the Barents Sea, low autumn extent has become common in recent years as warm Atlantic water is preventing ice growth farther north—a process called “Atlantification.”​

Locally, we're way under the usual temperatures for the fall, 2018.

Arctic2017.png

The term "Norm" simply does not apply. The Earth's internal and external conditions change over time which force changes in the Earth's climatic parameters. During the rise of homo sapiens, those parameters have had a certain. relatively narrow range of values. GHG emissions since the rise of fossil-fuel energy production (for all uses) have created temperatures increasing at such a rapid rate that plant and animal life - even homo sapiens - are unable to adapt.
I'm unconvinced that man's use of fossil fuels has affected the climate to which it has been heralded by people examining data that "seems" applicable in the pendulum swings of our planet's warm and cool ages. Recently, scientists said that in the year 536 ad Iceland had a volcanic eruption on such a scale as to usher in an ice age, complete with an attack on the human race of bubonic plague 5 years later and two more Icelandic eruptions during the same decade, which decimated grain crops resulting in mass starvation in Eastern Europe. China was affected as well. It was a very bad year, 536. After all was said and done, close to half the human population in the known world died off.

What can I say now, but baby, it's cold outside, and I don't know if this is nature's pendulum ending of the heat wave era or nothing by next year. I mean, there was a big to-do in popular opinion that since the Mayan calendar ended on December 21, 2012, when earth's future was allegedly to end abruptly - uncertain. Well, here we are almost 6 years later, from a heated drought to a bonechill scenario, and we didn't all die toward the end of 2012, as some people thought. Conserving resources is never a bad idea, but changes that could have more to do with interplanetary issues than terrestrial ones. i.e., if moon phases coordinate with the ins and outs of tides along coastal areas, do we postulate mooning to be the cause of the tides, and if so, is it really those nutcases riding on a bus, protesting bad weather by exposing their buttocks to the windows? I'm saying this because today's scientific fact has often fallen on the scrap pile of future discovery, which eventually falls short by fickle history's next series of scientific facts. About the only thing predictable is the tendencies of human thought to change!

And at least one source I read prior to the end of the Aztecan calendar was the prediction that we were doomed to another ice age following 2012. I'm buying a new coat, but I'm not spending more than $50.

/end parody

I'm glad you identified that as parody. There are plenty of people here who would put out such a harangue in complete seriousness.

China is still in the Paris Climate Accord and Trump has repeatedly said he believes its all a hoax.

It's easy to agree when you're not really giving anything up.

China has been INCREASING their CO2 emissions the entire time, thus Crick is being silly as usual, as shown here from FORBES,

China Emits More Carbon Dioxide Than The U.S. and EU Combined

=====================================================

By the way new updates information from September trends show a slight INCREASE since 2007:

arctic-sept-2007-to-2018.png

LINK

DMI shows that VOLUME has increased since 2007 as well:

Arctic-min-ice-volume.png

People like Crick, needs to stop the fearmongering.

China is still in the Paris Climate Accord and Trump has repeatedly said he believes its all a hoax.

It's easy to agree when you're not really giving anything up.

China has been INCREASING their CO2 emissions the entire time, thus Crick is being silly as usual, as shown here from FORBES,

China Emits More Carbon Dioxide Than The U.S. and EU Combined

=====================================================

By the way new updates information from September trends show a slight INCREASE since 2007:

arctic-sept-2007-to-2018.png

LINK

DMI shows that VOLUME has increased since 2007 as well:

Arctic-min-ice-volume.png

People like Crick, needs to stop the fearmongering.

Kinda like being against drunk driving and running a drive through liquor store.....

"Scientists are seeing surprising melting in Earth's polar regions at times they don't expect, like winter, and in places they don't expect, like eastern Antarctica."

"The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Tuesday released its annual Arctic report card, detailing the second warmest year on record in the Arctic and problems, including record low winter sea ice in parts of the region, increased toxic algal blooms, which are normally a warm water phenomenon, and weather changes in the rest of the country attributable to what's happening in the far North.
"The Arctic is experiencing the most unprecedented transition in human history," report lead author Emily Osborne, chief of Arctic research for NOAA, said Tuesday."

I thought you guys were telling us how cold it had been up there; how there'd been no loss of ice in 11 years. Everything was hunky dory? What the fuck dudes?
Your links are to ABC, and not NOAA.
I went to NOAA and looked up this year's icecap. It contraindicates warming trends. Here:

Arctic sea ice extent for November averaged 9.80 million square kilometers (3.78 million square miles). This was the ninth lowest November in the 1979 to 2018 satellite record, falling 900,000 square kilometers (347,000 square miles) below the 1981 to 2010 average, yet 1.14 million square kilometers (440,000 square miles) above the record November low in 2016.

Sea ice extent increased quite rapidly during the early part of the month, bringing the extent within the interdecile range of the 1981 to 2010 climatology during the latter half of the month. This was due in part to the Laptev Sea finally freezing up after having extensive open water through the end of October, as discussed in our previous post. There was also considerable ice growth in Hudson Bay, Baffin Bay, the Chukchi Sea, and the Kara Sea. This rapid growth is not particularly surprising. As the sun has set in the Arctic, the atmosphere has strongly cooled. As soon as the remaining open ocean water loses its heat to the atmosphere, ice growth occurs. Further, the increased area of open water in summer had led to increased frequency of rapid ice growth events in mid to late autumn, in which more than 1 million square kilometers (386,000 square miles) of ice can form within a 7-day period (see Stroeve and Notz, 2018).

Despite relatively fast ice growth during November, at the end of the month substantial open water still remained in the Chukchi and Barents Seas. The Chukchi Sea was in general completely ice covered by the end of November in the 1980s through to the early 2000s. However, low ice extent in the Chukchi Sea into late autumn has become quite common in recent years and this year’s extent is comparable to the new normal for this time of year in the region. Similarly, in the Barents Sea, low autumn extent has become common in recent years as warm Atlantic water is preventing ice growth farther north—a process called “Atlantification.”​

Locally, we're way under the usual temperatures for the fall, 2018.

Arctic2017.png
so you're trying to sell that with no sunshine, the temp in the NP is 40 degrees F. In Chicago it's been less than 35 degrees F. with eight hours of sunshine. dude, you need to put down the pipe. you believe waaaayyyy too much of the junk you buy.

Stock up on weed and calm yourself. Too many people want to trash the planet. I bet at least half the population of the world thinks their imaginary deity(ies) will make sure things are okay. Get to inventing some technology that can reverse what we’ve done. Thatms the only chance.

We'll start with you.

You'll instantly be utilized as compost in some vegetable garden.

You stop using oxygen....you feed the world.

You will have finally accomplished something.

Bring it on.

Maybe if we sink CA, we'll sink part of Mexico too. They can all have sanctuary raft cities.

Then CA won't have 55 electoral votes (or whatever it is) and be the pain the ass they've become.

We'll start with you.

You'll instantly be utilized as compost in some vegetable garden.

You stop using oxygen....you feed the world.

You will have finally accomplished something.

That seems more hostile than a normal conversation typically requires. Feeling threatened?

32F or 0C Frank. Didn't they tell you that in the third grade? Did you miss the third grade Frank?

Forum List

Back