Save Darfur Rallies Across The Country On Sunday

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
I apologize for not posting on the board so much lately, I am currently enduring the extended working hours hell that is the pre-op for the Aviation Maintenance Inspection (AMI), a biannual inspection that usually coincides with my ship's chain of command (at least on the aerodale/air sailor side) losing their GOT damn minds.

On Sunday April 30th, rallies will be held across the country to "Save Darfur". People will be spreading the good word of Christ to love thy neighbor, the message of every human's right not to be gang raped, tortured or exterminated by a wrathful, oppressive government, the age-old idea that the strong should defend the weak, the thought that a few college and high school students can brainstorm together and spawn a movement that inspires hundreds of thousands of others to help another, far less fortunate human being, etc etc.

What I mean to say is that a vast number of people, including some who don't normally agree on very much, have decided to unite from now on to do something about Darfur.

I beg you to consider being a part of this, a movement that transcends political, religious, racial and class lines, one that unites Americans, instead of dividing them. One that takes our individual contributions of time, money, prayer, outrage and ideas and combines them into a powerful show of American will: that genocide cannot and will not be tolerated, and there is a lot we can do as citizens to help and to push our government into making hard decisions to do hard things, i.e. confronting China and Russia at the UN, highlighting the plight of Darfur on the global stage, etc etc.

There's a big rally in Washington D.C. and many others in the following cities:

http://www.savedarfur.org/rally/otherrallies

Other April 30 Darfur Rallies Across the Nation

City Rally Date Time Place
Portland, OR Portland's Save Darfur Rally April 30 1:30 - 3:00 PM Pioneer Courthouse Square

St. Paul, MN Rally to Stop Genocide April 30 2:00 PM State Capitol

Austin, TX Darfur Rally at the Capitol April 30 1:00 - 4:00 PM South steps of the Capitol Building, 112 East 11th Street

Tucson, AZ Tucson's Save Darfur: Rally to Stop Genocide April 30 7:30 PM University of Arizona Mall

Boca Raton, FL Rally for Darfur: Rock to Stop Genocide April 30 1:30 - 3:30 PM First United Methodist Church of Boca Raton

San Francisco Bay Area, CA Day of Conscience for Darfur April 30 Vigil: 11:00 AM,
Rally: 1:30 PM Golden Gate Bridge and Presidio Park

New York, NY Dining for Darfur April 30 Various Restaurants
Eugene, OR Rally to Save Darfur April 30 2:00 - 3:00 PM Wayne Morse Free Speech Plaza 8th and Oak

Seattle, WA Justice for Darfur: Rally and March to Stop Genocide in Darfur, Sudan April 30 2:00 PM Westlake Park: 4th Avenue and Pine Street (Federal Building to begin at 2:30 p.m.)

Somerville, NJ Save Darfur: Rally to Stop Genocide April 30 2:00 - 4:00 PM Somerset County Courthouse Lawn, Main Street

Toronto, ON, Canada Scream for Darfur April 30 1:00 PM Queen's Park

Boulder, CO Boulder Darfur Rally April 30 12:00 PM Pearl Street

Prescott, AZ Prescott Demonstration April 30 All Day Court House Square on Gurley

Vancouver, BC, Canada Darfur Rally April 30 12:00 - 5:00 PM Vancouver Art Gallery

Plymouth, MA Plymouth Area Interfaith Vigil/Postcard Writing Action April 30 12:00 - 2:00 PM Waterfront Area of Downtown Plymouth
Rutland, VT Vermont Voices for Darfur Rally April 30 12:00 PM Depot Park

Chicago, IL Rally to Stop the Genocide in Darfur May 1 4:30 PM Federal Plaza, Dearborn and Adams, Chicago

There are also similar events going on across the country in places like Kansas, Georgia, South Dakota, etc etc. More information about them can be found here:

http://www.savedarfur.org/events/map

If you still find nothing close to you, may I suggest you consult your priest/rabbi/pastor and inform them of the situation, asking them if they would consider discussing Darfur with the congregation on Sunday or perhaps even next Sunday. Ditto for your mayors, councilmen and others.

Regardless of your political leanings, please think of the great power and potential you hold in your hands, hearts and minds to do something truly "American" (existent in our collective DNA since 1775): speak truth to oppressive power, and stand up for those suffering its terrible wrath.

Forum List

Back