Satellite: Calbuco Volcano Leaves Behind Massive Ashfall

Wanna drive when there's ash in the area?

Plan ahead. Keep a few extra panty hose and a can of 40-weight non-detergent oil in the trunk. Maybe a shallow aluminum roasting pan and a roll of paper towels.

Conservatives: Think ahead about how to use them.
Liberals: Just wear them.

I have an old oil filled air cleaner with a votrex precleaner. I'm thinking if the military can use them in this type of environment so can I.

I have an old oil filled air cleaner with a votrex precleaner. I'm thinking if the military can use them in this type of environment so can I.

My '47 Ford had an air cleaner made of a steel mesh that was heavily oiled. Once a year or so I put it on a rock, poured in a pint or so of kerosene and set fire to it. When it stopped burning and had cooled a little, whacked hell out of it on the rock and all the burned crap fell out. The stuff made a decent weed killer to boot!

After a couple of hours, to be sure the fire was out, soaked it in a pan filled with 20-weight ND oil for a few minutes then put it on a stack of old newspapers overnight to drain.

Never bought paper filter for that vehicle.

You are totally fucking clueless.. Do you have even one functioning brain cell? Do you understand the earths convection cycle and air movements? The answer to both of those question is no from your little rant.

No matter how much you cry at me, a VEI 4 eruption in the mid latitudes still means squat to climate.

VEI 4 is sufficient to place matter into the upper tropopause were much of the heat is reflected back into space.

In the tropics, the stratospheric circulation moves up, spreading sulfate aerosols around.

In the mid latitudes, the stratospheric circulation moves down, pushing the aerosols back to earth.

There's a name for that, Brewer-Dobson Circulation

Brewer-Dobson circulation - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

image001.jpg

This eruption was mid latitudes. That circulation is why similar eruptions from nearby Chilean volcanoes have had no effect on climate. In order for a mid-latitude eruption to effect climate, it has to be of of colossal scale and long duration, like Laki in Iceland. This wasn't even close.

You are totally fucking clueless.. Do you have even one functioning brain cell? Do you understand the earths convection cycle and air movements? The answer to both of those question is no from your little rant.

No matter how much you cry at me, a VEI 4 eruption in the mid latitudes still means squat to climate.

VEI 4 is sufficient to place matter into the upper tropopause were much of the heat is reflected back into space.

In the tropics, the stratospheric circulation moves up, spreading sulfate aerosols around.

In the mid latitudes, the stratospheric circulation moves down, pushing the aerosols back to earth.

image001.jpg

This eruption was mid latitudes. That circulation is why similar eruptions from nearby Chilean volcanoes have had no effect on climate. In order for a mid-latitude eruption to effect climate, it has to be of of colossal scale and long duration, like Laki in Iceland. This wasn't even close.
Proving once again you dont know what your talking about. Mt St Helen's 1980 VEI 4 eruption cooled the northern hemisphere for 16 months. it was felt GLOBALLY. It too was a mid latitude volcano.

image001.jpg

Proving once again you dont know what your talking about. Mt St Helen's 1980 VEI 4 eruption cooled the northern hemisphere for 16 months. it was felt GLOBALLY. It too was a mid latitude volcano.
Billy Boob, as usual you are completely full of shit.

Scientific American Frontiers . Hot Planet 151 Cold Comfort . Impact Great Moments in Global Climate Change PBS
trwebfeature.gif
spacer.gif

timpact.gif

tfeatrule.gif

Volcanoes

climate5.jpg
Volcanic eruptions always have a significant effect on the local environment, but three factors determine whether an eruption will have an impact on global climate.

The direction and force of the eruption determines where the debris from the volcano winds up. Unless the gas and dust ends up in the stratosphere - the upper layers of the atmosphere that can convey pollutants around the globe - rain and snow will wash it out of the lower levels of the atmosphere.

In 1980, for example, Mount St. Helen's erupted, spewing a billion cubic meters of ash into the sky over Washington state. But the force of the explosion was largely horizontal, so the eruption had no overall global impact.

Any measure of the amount of sulfer compounds, and the height to which they have been lofted yet?
WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE?
Scientific American Frontiers . Hot Planet 151 Cold Comfort . Impact Great Moments in Global Climate Change PBS

The weather up there in the stratosphere is also important. Without winds to carry the volcanic debris, they will remain and settle locally.

Perhaps the most important factor, however, is how much sulfur is in the volcanic plume. Sulfur compounds in the atmosphere block out the light of the sun, cooling the Earth slightly. If these sulfur compounds have reached the stratosphere and have been carried around the globe by winds, an eruption can mean violent and abrupt changes in the weather worldwide.

In 1991, Mount Pinatubo in the Philippines produced ten times as much ash as Mount St. Helens and released more than 25 million tons of sulfur dioxide into the stratosphere. The resulting cloud - which formed a wide band around the planet within about a month - resulted in an overall cooling of the global surface temperature by about 1 degree Fahrenheit. It doesn't sound like much, but according to NASA scientists, even 1 degree can have a significant impact on worldwide weather patterns. In fact, data later revealed that winter weather patterns lasted up to two weeks later in the winter of 1992-1993. A change in average global temperature of 1 or 2 degrees Fahrenheit resulted in the Little Ice Age. For comparison, the Great Ice Age that once gripped the Earth about a million years ago had an average temperature just 9 degrees Fahrenheit lower than today's.

A great deal of differance. The size and amount of sulfer compounds, how high they are lofted, and whether the get carried far from the volcano all have an influence on how effective they are at blocking sunlight.

Volcanoes cause climate change!

If you don't send Algore all your money right now he'll never be able to lobby strongly enough to get Congress to outlaw those destructive bastards! Besides, don't you just hate their pointy ears?

Forum List

Back