SAT Turns Racist...Black to Have an “Adversity Score”

As someone who writes resumes as a business, I see just as many grammatical errors on white folks resumes as folks of color.

The reality... the process is biased even with AA>

They did a study in 2005. Identical resumes with only one difference.

Half of them had black names like Jamal and Keisha.
Half of them had white names like Greg and Emily.

Guess which ones got the callbacks?

It's well over a decade ago but the answer is simple. Whose fault is that?

I have been a Realtor for over forty years. I have also been a licensed real estate instructor for over 30 years, I conduct seminars around our state and the country on Fair Housing Law and Diversity for both my state association and the national association. I am also a member of several speaker bureaus.

One of the exercises, which got more than a couple of people's noses out of joint. My seminars were no nonsense, fun and laughter but, but we hit the hard issues. I would take jumbo pads of paper that had the adhesive across the top like a sticky note. I would write the name of a different race, religion or whatever across the top of the paper, one to a page. I'd have 12 or 13 pages. During a break, I would tear off each one and stick them on the walls around the class. When the class came back, I would walk around and pass out those 2" x 2" sticky note pads. About 10 to each student. Then I told them I wanted them to walk around and write down one thing they had HEARD SOMEONE ELSE SAY about people of that race, nationality or religion. One word per sheet and then stick it on the big page.

I emphasized not what they thought, but what they had heard someone else say. All the typical stereotype descriptions were represented. Then we discussed the results. Then I'd go around, tear the sheets off the wall, ball them up and throw them on the floor. I told them that's what we have to do with all stereotypes, discard them and put them out of our mind. It was a fun exercise and I think I got the message across.

Nope, I have no trouble with comprehension. You're too busy trying to pick a fight than you are trying to support your position. Whether or not a student earns a diploma or a GED is a major point. As you know, and know well, a student getting a GED is far easier than a diploma. Someone who drops out and gets a GED has shown that they do not have the discipline or personal responsibility that a person who earns a diploma have shown.

What personal discipline? You mean "Showing up to the education factory"?

Actually, here are the graduation rates.

So you own chart shows that it's 85% overall... and even African Americans graduate at a 78% rate. Again, a lot better than in 1962, as you say, when only 50% graduated or got an GED.

You also refused to even think about what caused a $1.3 TRILLION debt. The fact of the matter is not that long ago, a student could earn their degree and not walk away without debt. I did it, in my previous life way back in the late 60s. I graduated from the University of Miami with a degree in marine biology and a minor in math. Only because I love math.

Awesome. I was able to do the same back in the 1980's. I went to UIC and annual tuition was about $1500 a year. At the time, Minimum wage was 3.65 an hour, so I could earn a degree working a mere 10 hours a week on Minimum Wage. (My actual college finances were more complicated than that, but I digress).

Today, at UIC, which was supposed to be the affordable campus that city kids could attend, annual tuition is $17,000 a year. More than an annual salary of someone working minimum wage. and that's on the lower end.

You see, what happened was back in the day, UIC was mostly funded by the state, and the tuition they collected from students was a token amount. Now these "State" universities are largely funded by tuition dollars.

In their quest to have everyone earn a college degree the government went out of their way to make the MONEY available. What was the result of that easy money for students and emphasis on a degree? Supply and demand. Colleges and universities saw an opportunity to cash-in and BUILD EVEN MORE GRAND BUILDING!

So what is the answer? In the day of the exploding online education, are more buildings a good idea?

Well, first, on line education is a scam. Seriously I've met people from these "Diploma Mills'... They'd issue a Ph.D. to a dog.

Second, the government isn't causing the explosion in Campus Building. The campuses themselves are. They realize that you have a choice for college, and they are trying to make their college the most exciting when you and your parents come to visit.

The fact that most hiring decisions are made by white people... so they'll hire other white people.

Probably you couldn't get the same results today, because everyone has a linked in account, so you can see what people actually look like.

I like to give another example of how there is bias, by people who don't consider themselves racist.

I had a boss for about 7 years,and overall, kind of a decent enough guy. Never heard him say anything even remotely racist the 7 years I worked there.

But in 2012, we had 3 people leave our department. And for each, we had a going away lunch from the team.

A Chinese Lady, mid 50's. Been with the company 9 years.
An African American woman, Mid 30's... Been with the company 2 years.
A young white girl, early 20's... was with us for a summer internship.

NOW... guess which one he actually took time out of his schedule to attend lunch for?

What personal discipline? You mean "Showing up to the education factory"?

Yes, personal responsibility means showing up on time, paying attention, behaving in class, doing the homework. You know, obtaining social skills and entering into society.

o you own chart shows that it's 85% overall... and even African Americans graduate at a 78% rate. Again, a lot better than in 1962, as you say, when only 50% graduated or got an GED.

Somehow you forgot to include your reliable source and working link to your source stating that only 50% of students graduated high school in 1962. A year when standards were far higher than today.

Well, first, on line education is a scam. Seriously I've met people from these "Diploma Mills'... They'd issue a Ph.D. to a dog.

Second, the government isn't causing the explosion in Campus Building. The campuses themselves are. They realize that you have a choice for college, and they are trying to make their college the most exciting when you and your parents come to visit.

Yes, some schools online are a scam, they'll be weeded out. You have failed to make your point.

The campuses could not be spending on buildings if they did not have the money.

The rest of your post is where you wasted your time.

The fact that most hiring decisions are made by white people... so they'll hire other white people.

Probably you couldn't get the same results today, because everyone has a linked in account, so you can see what people actually look like.

I like to give another example of how there is bias, by people who don't consider themselves racist.

I had a boss for about 7 years,and overall, kind of a decent enough guy. Never heard him say anything even remotely racist the 7 years I worked there.

But in 2012, we had 3 people leave our department. And for each, we had a going away lunch from the team.

A Chinese Lady, mid 50's. Been with the company 9 years.
An African American woman, Mid 30's... Been with the company 2 years.
A young white girl, early 20's... was with us for a summer internship.

NOW... guess which one he actually took time out of his schedule to attend lunch for?

I have no clue as to your point.

Yes, personal responsibility means showing up on time, paying attention, behaving in class, doing the homework. You know, obtaining social skills and entering into society.

Ho hum, we have another Calvinist here. yes, all you need to do is stay in school, and you can overcome 400 years of institutionalized racism, kids.

Somehow you forgot to include your reliable source and working link to your source stating that only 50% of students graduated high school in 1962. A year when standards were far higher than today.

Again, posted the chart pages ago...

Yes, some schools online are a scam, they'll be weeded out. You have failed to make your point.

No, actually, they are all scams...

The campuses could not be spending on buildings if they did not have the money.

But they have plenty of money if they can charge $65,000 for a piece of paper, that's the point.

I have no clue as to your point.

Of course you don't.

Okay, let's try it again.. Who should get more recognition from the boss, a Chinese woman who worked for the company for a decade, developed a lot of the partnerships we had with Asian Suppliers...

Or some white girl who interned for three months and helped some other white bag of hair file papers?

Guess which one of those two he took time out of his busy schedule (not really) to have lunch with? Come one... this isn't complicated.

And this is the problem... when you let white people make all the hiring decisions, they are going to hire other white people, NOT because the are racist, (although some of them are) but because they'll hire people who remind them of themselves.

Forum List

Back