Santorum: Why Charity can't replace Health Care

R

rdean

Rick Santorum Explains His Low Rate of Charitable Giving

Presidential candidate Rick Santorum was confronted about his low rate of charitable giving, less than two percent in 2010, on "Fox News Sunday." He said that he should do better, but he has been giving less in order to care for Bella, his daughter who suffers from Trisomy 18.

In 2010, President Obama gave 14.2 percent and presidential candidate Mitt Romney gave 13.8 percent of their income to charity. Santorum gave only 1.76 percent, or $16,289, of his $923,411 income to charity. Newt Gingrich gave 2.6 percent of his $3.1 million income to charity and Ron Paul has refused to release his tax returns.

Rick Santorum Explains His Low Rate of Charitable Giving, Christian News

See? Turns out that giving to Charity for the super rich is an "after thought".

If Romney wasn't required by his church to give so much, would he? He still gives LESS than Obama. They all do.

And as soon as the family has a problem, they stop giving to charity assuming they gave more in the past. There is no proof Santorum ever gave more. Even Catholic charities gets nearly 70% of it's funding from the government. My taxes go to a mystical organization. I don't like that.

And when someone like Paul says "let the church take care of them" and then won't tell how much he gives? It can't be much, if any.

So what are Republican's plan for health care? They better start practicing. It's a fair question and it will be coming up during the election.

I wonder if Santorum get "Obamacare". After all, his child is covered by the President's plan.

Presidential candidate Rick Santorum was confronted about his low rate of charitable giving, less than two percent in 2010, on "Fox News Sunday." He said that he should do better, but he has been giving less in order to care for Bella, his daughter who suffers from Trisomy 18.

In 2010, President Obama gave 14.2 percent and presidential candidate Mitt Romney gave 13.8 percent of their income to charity. Santorum gave only 1.76 percent, or $16,289, of his $923,411 income to charity. Newt Gingrich gave 2.6 percent of his $3.1 million income to charity and Ron Paul has refused to release his tax returns.

If Romney wasn't required by his church to give so much, would he? He still gives LESS than Obama. They all do.

And as soon as the family has a problem, they stop giving to charity assuming they gave more in the past. There is no proof Santorum ever gave more. Even Catholic charities gets nearly 70% of it's funding from the government. My taxes go to a mystical organization. I don't like that.

And when someone like Paul says "let the church take care of them" and then won't tell how much he gives? It can't be much, if any.

So what are Republican's plan for health care? They better start practicing. It's a fair question and it will be coming up during the election.

I wonder if Santorum get "Obamacare". After all, his child is covered by the President's plan.

Let's clear the smoke from the mirrors...

before he began his run for the presidency, how much did Barack Obama give?

1. Obama and his wife, Michelle, earned $181,507 to $272,759 each year from 1998-2004.
Their income jumped to $1.6 million in 2005, Obama's first year in the Senate, with the rerelease of his first book, “Dreams from My Father.” They made nearly $1 million in 2006, half of it from his second book, “The Audacity of Hope.”

The Obamas' charitable giving also increased with their newfound wealth.
From 1998-2004, they gave between $1,050-$3,400 each year. In 2005, they gave $77,315, including donations to literacy and anti-poverty campaigns and their church. In 2006, they gave $60,307 to charity.

Up until recent years when their income increased sharply from book revenues and a Senate salary, Obama's family donated a relatively minor amount of its earnings to charity. From 2000 through 2004, the senator and his wife never gave more than $3,500 a year in charitable donations -- about 1 percent of their annual earnings.(Sam Stein Huffington Post)

Obama’s running mate, Joe Biden, was even stingier about spreading his wealth. When his tax records were released in September, they revealed that over the past decade he had only donated an average of $369 each year. In 2007, his charitable giving was only $995, or 0.3 percent of income in a year when his tax returns reported $319,853 in income.

http://patterico.com/2008/10/31/oba...-dont-want-to-spread-their-own-wealth-around/

2. During the height of the Great Depression, FDR spoke frequently of the need for people to be generous to help their fellow man. But a look at his tax returns reveals that he was far more interested in being generous with other people’s money. In 1935, for example, he made more than $75,000 (about $1.2 million in today’s dollars), and yet he donated just 2.5 percent of his income.
to charity. http://media.glennbeck.com/books/brokepreview.pdf

Liberals doing what Liberals do....

3. Quote G. Gordon Liddy:
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellowman, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money."

4. Romney charitable contributions
Tax year Taxable income Charitable donations Donations as % of income
2010 $21.7 million $2.98 million 13.73%
2011 (est) $20.9 million $4 million 19.14%

WHO'S GREEDY? Obama Gave 1% to Charity, Romney Gave 15% - Mitt Romney - Fox Nation

5. Nor was there any information about George Romney's financial legacy in the many obituaries for the Michigan luminary, who died in 1995 at age 88.

But Mitt Romney has addressed the question himself, it turns out, in an interview with C-SPAN in 2006. Host Brian Lamb asked him why his father hadn't given him an inheritance.

Romney answered, "Well, he didn’t have as much as I think some people anticipated. And I did get a check from my dad when he passed away. I shouldn’t say a check, but I did inherit some funds from my dad. But I turned and gave that away to charity. In this case I gave it to a school which Brigham Young University established in his honor. ... And that’s where his inheritance ended up."
PolitiFact | Mitt Romney says he didn't inherit money from his parents

6. BTW, deanie...you'll get a kick out of this:

"But while the multi-millionaire Kennedy stood firmly in favor of raising taxes on high earners across the United States, he [Ted] showed a pronounced reluctance to pay taxes on his own wealth. For many years, Merchandise Mart, the Chicago-based real estate conglomerate that Joseph Kennedy established in 1935, was the most valuable asset belonging to Ted Kennedy and his family....[on a $300 million deal] had paid a mere $132,000 in estate taxes -- a rate of four one-hundredths of one percent.[5] Had they set up those trusts in the United states, they would have owed more than 7,000 times that amount in taxes."
Edward (Ted) Kennedy - Discover the Networks

But you'll buy their scams like it's on sale, deanie.

1. Obama and his wife, Michelle, earned $181,507 to $272,759 each year from 1998-2004.
Their income jumped to $1.6 million in 2005, Obama's first year in the Senate, with the rerelease of his first book, “Dreams from My Father.” They made nearly $1 million in 2006, half of it from his second book, “The Audacity of Hope.”

From 1998-2004, they gave between $1,050-$3,400 each year. In 2005, they gave $77,315, including donations to literacy and anti-poverty campaigns and their church. In 2006, they gave $60,307 to charity.

Up until recent years when their income increased sharply from book revenues and a Senate salary, Obama's family donated a relatively minor amount of its earnings to charity. From 2000 through 2004, the senator and his wife never gave more than $3,500 a year in charitable donations -- about 1 percent of their annual earnings.(Sam Stein Huffington Post)

Obama’s running mate, Joe Biden, was even stingier about spreading his wealth. When his tax records were released in September, they revealed that over the past decade he had only donated an average of $369 each year. In 2007, his charitable giving was only $995, or 0.3 percent of income in a year when his tax returns reported $319,853 in income.

http://patterico.com/2008/10/31/oba...-dont-want-to-spread-their-own-wealth-around/

2. During the height of the Great Depression, FDR spoke frequently of the need for people to be generous to help their fellow man. But a look at his tax returns reveals that he was far more interested in being generous with other people’s money. In 1935, for example, he made more than $75,000 (about $1.2 million in today’s dollars), and yet he donated just 2.5 percent of his income.

"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellowman, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money."

WHO'S GREEDY? Obama Gave 1% to Charity, Romney Gave 15% - Mitt Romney - Fox Nation

5. Nor was there any information about George Romney's financial legacy in the many obituaries for the Michigan luminary, who died in 1995 at age 88.

But Mitt Romney has addressed the question himself, it turns out, in an interview with C-SPAN in 2006. Host Brian Lamb asked him why his father hadn't given him an inheritance.

Romney answered, "Well, he didn’t have as much as I think some people anticipated. And I did get a check from my dad when he passed away. I shouldn’t say a check, but I did inherit some funds from my dad. But I turned and gave that away to charity. In this case I gave it to a school which Brigham Young University established in his honor. ... And that’s where his inheritance ended up."

"But while the multi-millionaire Kennedy stood firmly in favor of raising taxes on high earners across the United States, he [Ted] showed a pronounced reluctance to pay taxes on his own wealth. For many years, Merchandise Mart, the Chicago-based real estate conglomerate that Joseph Kennedy established in 1935, was the most valuable asset belonging to Ted Kennedy and his family....[on a $300 million deal] had paid a mere $132,000 in estate taxes -- a rate of four one-hundredths of one percent.[5] Had they set up those trusts in the United states, they would have owed more than 7,000 times that amount in taxes."

“When Michelle and I graduated from law school our combined debt was $120,000 and it took us 10 years to pay off. We were lucky because we’d gone to a law school where we knew we could earn it,’’ said the Harvard Law alum. “It remains smart to spend on things that are going to increase your productivity and your income over the long term. In the same way that law school paid off for Michelle and I,” he added.

Obama's Student Loans Paid Off - Forbes

Obama isn't the one trying to make the US into a "Christian Taliban" nor is he the one saying church charity should replace health care a la Ron Paul.

Nor is he giving money to a church who spent millions trying to do everything they can to harrass the gays.

Your post wasn't even a "good swerve".

The two questions you unartfully missed were:

oops

If you defend person A by attacking person B, then you aren't really defending person A.

Providing health care to others can be a form of charity. Why would you replace a charity with a charity?

If you defend person A by attacking person B, then you aren't really defending person A.

Really? Is that the basis for you posting this:

"See? Turns out that giving to Charity for the super rich is an "after thought".

If Romney wasn't required by his church to give so much, would he? He still gives LESS than Obama. They all do."

“When Michelle and I graduated from law school our combined debt was $120,000 and it took us 10 years to pay off. We were lucky because we’d gone to a law school where we knew we could earn it,’’ said the Harvard Law alum. “It remains smart to spend on things that are going to increase your productivity and your income over the long term. In the same way that law school paid off for Michelle and I,” he added.

Obama isn't the one trying to make the US into a "Christian Taliban" nor is he the one saying church charity should replace health care a la Ron Paul.

Nor is he giving money to a church who spent millions trying to do everything they can to harrass the gays.

oops

Well, let's see if I can clear up your misapprehensions...

1. The Obama's are representative of Liberals everywhere, in that they made certain to give an insignificant portion of 'their' earnings to charity....

2. ...up until it was determined that the national spotlight would be on same. Only then did it change to the benefit of the less fortunate.

3. While you discount the Romney's largesse by suggesting that they would not have done so sans their religion.

a. Total conjecture.

4. Do I detect the excuse that they had so many debts that they couldn't give to charity??
Well, you are free to believe that...
....but consider the use of some other alternatives to which the Obama's have availed themselves:
the Gangster Connections

While Obama is still attending Harvard Law School, Rezko offers him a job. Obama declines.
Rezko contributes to Obama's campaign for the Illinois State Senate (Obama said it was his "best guesstimate" that Rezko raised $10,000 to $15,000 for this race); this is Rezko's first contribution to Obama. Rezko raised more than $250,000 for Obama's state and federal campaigns over the span of the following nine years ($20,000 of that was from Rezko himself). Obama estimates that Rezko raised between $50,000 and $75,000 in his run for the House against U.S. Rep. Bobby Rush and approximately $160,000 in his U.S. Senate primary. The remainder was for his three state senate campaigns. Obama revised the Rezko campaign contribution figures (up from $150,000 to $250,000) on March 15, 2008 during interviews with The Chicago Tribune and The Chicago Sun-Times.
Sometime before the purchase:
Obama tours "the property with Rezko for 15 to 30 minutes at some point before the purchase. [Spokesman Bill] Burton said Obama wanted Rezko's opinion of the property because Rezko was a real-estate developer in the area. Burton said he didn't know when the pre-sale tour occurred." Obama spoke more at length about this tour in his interview with the Chicago Sun-Times.
Jan. 15, 2005:
Obamas submit bid for house for $1.3 million. (Obama asserts that there had been a bid on the yard before he had even bid on the home, a bid by a developer who had worked for Rezko in the past. Obama did not know how Rezko was able to take over that bid, but was clear that the purchase of the side yard had nothing to do with his purchase of the home).
Jan. 21, 2005:
Obamas submit bid for house for $1.5 million
Jan. 23, 2005:
Obamas submit bid for house for $1.65 million
May 2005:
Rezko subpoenaed as part of investigation into whether Blagojevich fundraiser Christopher Kelly traded jobs for campaign contributions (AP, May 16, 2005).
May 26, 2005:
Chicago Tribune runs profile of Rezko and controversies he's involved in: he "has been subpoenaed to supply any records he may have as part of a criminal investigation into allegations that the administration traded plum appointments for campaign cash, several sources close to the investigation have said. He has not been accused of wrongdoing, and there is no indication that he is the target of the probe" (Chicago Tribune, May 26, 2005).
June 15, 2005:
Obama purchases home from Fredric Wondisford and Sally Radovick for $1.65 million

same day, Rita Rezko - Antoin's wife - buys plot next door for $625,000 asking price.On the
Timeline: Barack Obama’s Ties to Tony Rezko | Talking Points Memo

Even Catholic charities gets nearly 70% of it's funding from the government.

Government gives you money, you agree ahead of time to play by the gov rules.

that said, Catholic Charities does very good work. I say let them demand their flock give more and stay away from gov subsidies

Is it me or is Santorum totally cookoo?

You.

He's against pre-natal testing.:cuckoo:
He said that an imprisoned father was preferable to a same-sex parent.:cuckoo:
he thinks contraception is a grievous moral wrong :cuckoo:

And that's just 3 quick examples.

OK...I admit that I couldn't resist the "You" in the previous post.

The only thing I'd say about Santorum is that he is preferable to the current resident at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

Welcome to the board.

Charitable giving is a private matter. I support Romney but what Santorum chooses to give and his opinions on that are his own business.
Take a look at the Clintons. They wrote off Slick Willie's old worn out underdrawers on their taxes.
That is about as tacky and trailer park low class as one can get.

oops

1. The Obama's are representative of Liberals everywhere, in that they made certain to give an insignificant portion of 'their' earnings to charity....

2. ...up until it was determined that the national spotlight would be on same. Only then did it change to the benefit of the less fortunate.

3. While you discount the Romney's largesse by suggesting that they would not have done so sans their religion.

a. Total conjecture.

4. Do I detect the excuse that they had so many debts that they couldn't give to charity??
....but consider the use of some other alternatives to which the Obama's have availed themselves:
the Gangster Connections

While Obama is still attending Harvard Law School, Rezko offers him a job. Obama declines.
Rezko contributes to Obama's campaign for the Illinois State Senate (Obama said it was his "best guesstimate" that Rezko raised $10,000 to $15,000 for this race); this is Rezko's first contribution to Obama. Rezko raised more than $250,000 for Obama's state and federal campaigns over the span of the following nine years ($20,000 of that was from Rezko himself). Obama estimates that Rezko raised between $50,000 and $75,000 in his run for the House against U.S. Rep. Bobby Rush and approximately $160,000 in his U.S. Senate primary. The remainder was for his three state senate campaigns. Obama revised the Rezko campaign contribution figures (up from $150,000 to $250,000) on March 15, 2008 during interviews with The Chicago Tribune and The Chicago Sun-Times.
Obama tours "the property with Rezko for 15 to 30 minutes at some point before the purchase. [Spokesman Bill] Burton said Obama wanted Rezko's opinion of the property because Rezko was a real-estate developer in the area. Burton said he didn't know when the pre-sale tour occurred." Obama spoke more at length about this tour in his interview with the Chicago Sun-Times.
Jan. 15, 2005:
Obamas submit bid for house for $1.3 million. (Obama asserts that there had been a bid on the yard before he had even bid on the home, a bid by a developer who had worked for Rezko in the past. Obama did not know how Rezko was able to take over that bid, but was clear that the purchase of the side yard had nothing to do with his purchase of the home).
Jan. 21, 2005:
Jan. 23, 2005:
May 2005:
Rezko subpoenaed as part of investigation into whether Blagojevich fundraiser Christopher Kelly traded jobs for campaign contributions (AP, May 16, 2005).
May 26, 2005:
Chicago Tribune runs profile of Rezko and controversies he's involved in: he "has been subpoenaed to supply any records he may have as part of a criminal investigation into allegations that the administration traded plum appointments for campaign cash, several sources close to the investigation have said. He has not been accused of wrongdoing, and there is no indication that he is the target of the probe" (Chicago Tribune, May 26, 2005).
June 15, 2005:
Obama purchases home from Fredric Wondisford and Sally Radovick for $1.65 million

same day, Rita Rezko - Antoin's wife - buys plot next door for $625,000 asking price.On the

Once I read that first lie, I stopped reading. Save your lies to the end, unless everything you write is a lie. Otherwise, you did all that writing for nothing more than self support and a little carpel tunnel.

oops

a. Total conjecture.

the Gangster Connections

Jan. 15, 2005:
Jan. 21, 2005:
Jan. 23, 2005:
May 2005:
May 26, 2005:
June 15, 2005:

Once I read that first lie, I stopped reading. Save your lies to the end, unless everything you write is a lie. Otherwise, you did all that writing for nothing more than self support and a little carpel tunnel.

"Once I read that first lie, I stopped reading."

deanie...I approve of the strategy for a person in your precarious position.

It will save you stress, anxiety, and the necessity of admitting that you are wrong!

(Of course, you and I both know that you read the post....and were bewitched, bothered and bewildered....
...and without a capable response.)

Last edited:
The progressive lefts shinning example of how they can be such creepy little twerps.

Its nobodies business but his.Pissing for distance over charitable giving is so small.

Once you said that, I knew you were lying. I still read anyway for my amusement.

Forum List

Back