Santa Fe Trail (youtube)

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras

I saw this the other day. For a while I thought I was watching a satire. Its about the lead up to the civil war. Its almost totally revisionist.
The South are the good guys and the sneaky northerners are the bad guys.
Errol Flynn plays Jeb Stuart heroically fighting to save the slaves from that evil John Brown, played in wild eyed mode by Raymond Massey.
Van heflin plays an abolitionist who is shown to be a bad lot motivated by greed rather than any moral standard.

Flynn argues away slavery by stating that the South will sort out "its issues" in its own time. Rather than the truth of it which saw slavery enshrined on their constitution.

The low point is the scene where a black woman, called Mammy by Flynn, gives her opinion on emancipation.

If that there is this freedom , I doan want none of it Yessir.

Ronnie Reagan plays Custer who is happy to agree with Flynns assessment of slavery. The longer you watch it the more absurd it all becomes. I seem to remember that Flynn was accused of being a nazi sympathiser and this is good evidence.

All in all a shameful piece of work by people who were either stupid or evil.

I saw this the other day. For a while I thought I was watching a satire. Its about the lead up to the civil war. Its almost totally revisionist.
Errol Flynn plays Jeb Stuart heroically fighting to save the slaves from that evil John Brown, played in wild eyed mode by Raymond Massey.
Van heflin plays an abolitionist who is shown to be a bad lot motivated by greed rather than any moral standard.

Flynn argues away slavery by stating that the South will sort out "its issues" in its own time. Rather than the truth of it which saw slavery enshrined on their constitution.

The low point is the scene where a black woman, called Mammy by Flynn, gives her opinion on emancipation.

Ronnie Reagan plays Custer who is happy to agree with Flynns assessment of slavery. The longer you watch it the more absurd it all becomes. I seem to remember that Flynn was accused of being a nazi sympathiser and this is good evidence.

Since you are interested in American cinema here is a clip you are sure to hate

Because it honors Christ and the Confederacy

It was filmed by one of our greatest American directors, John Ford, who unlike you was well acquainted with American history

Last edited:

You're a moron, Tommy. Are you suggesting that you get your history from a 1940s, Hollywood produced, fictional story? I suppose you'll be telling me Winnie the Pooh is revisionist next. LOL, you're ridiculous.

Since you are interested in American cinema here is a clip you are sure to hate

Because it respects Christ and the Confederacy

It was filmed by one of our greatest American directors, John Ford, who unlike you was well acquainted with American history

The film respects the individual not the slave states.

You're a moron, Tommy. Are you suggesting that you get your history from a 1940s, Hollywood produced, fictional story? I suppose you'll be telling me Winnie the Pooh is revisionist next. LOL, you're ridiculous.
The films message is abhorrent. Like watching one of Hitlers films.

The film respects the individual not the slave states.
BTW: did you upchuck your dinner when you heard the C-Word?

I suppose that was cruel of me

but Christ was a central part of the reconciliation of America after the war

True

A distinction libs seem to overlook

But John Ford understood

Probably because Ford was just one generation removed from the Civil War
I havent overlooked it.. I dont see anything wrong in that clip. But the film in the OP makes a case for slevery. You cannot watch it without feeling uncomfortable.

IT IS FICTION.
Its propaganda.. Should we be teaching kids that slavery is a good thing ? That is what this film does..

Flynn is an attractive and charismatic leading man. But he is grooming here.

America is in a frenzy of banning books at the moment but kids can access this rubbish any time they want. How can you support banning the Life of Rosa Parks but stay silent over this ?

Hypocrisy.

I wouldnt ban it but it needs calling out.

Last edited:
Its propaganda.. Should we be teaching kids that slavry is a good thing ? That is what this film does..

Flynn is an attractive and charismatic leading man. But he is grooming here.

America is in a frenzy of banning books at the moment but kids can access this rubbish any time they want. How can you support banning the Life of Rosa Parks but stay silent over this ?

Hypocrisy.

I wouldnt ban it but it needs calling out.
WTF. When did you start teaching your kids with FICTION. It is NOT a factual account. Neither was M*A*S*H or Catch 22 or Cleopatra. We don't use them for teaching tools--they were created for entertainment. Sadly, entertainment in the current day is provided by YOUR POSTS.

WTF. When did you start teaching your kids with FICTION. It is NOT a factual account. Neither was M*A*S*H or Catch 22 or Cleopatra. We don't use them for teaching tools--they were created for entertainment. Sadly, entertainment in the current day is provided by YOUR POSTS.
Disney is entertainment. But you have huge problems with that.
My comments upset you because they conflict with your political viewpoint.
You should be more consistent.

And one last point. We can learn a lot about history from novels and films. When I was a kid I learned that Cyter was a brave hero from watching films. Those films were bad history, just like this one.

Your comments don't upset me, LOL, you are nothing more than characters on a screen that are quite comical. The fact that you are equating an 83 year old fictional movie to history is hilarious.

And one last point. We can learn a lot about history from novels and films. When I was a kid I learned that Cyter was a brave hero from watching films. Those films were bad history, just like this one.
Yeah, and I am sure Braveheart mooned the entire English horde. LMAO. Wake the fuck up.

K...o...o...k

Forum List

Back