Sanders just submitted college for all bill.

You take the point too far. 'Free' college is a very bad idea, but if your house was burning down you'd want the fire department to come. Why should your neighbors pay to save your house?

Because keeping the fire department ready and operating at all times benefits them if it's THEIR house that catches fire instead. Also, the fire in my house quite possibly might spread to theirs.

Now tell me what direct benefit I get from educating someone else's kid.
You really can't work this one out for yourself?

You can't work out something that doesn't exist. If it had a direct benefit, you'd say what it was. Since you don't, seems you haven't worked it out.

Take at least 1/3 of the kids currently in HS and put them on the street tomorrow. Would that result in a cost or a benefit to society, genius?

It would only be a cost if the government demands we take care of them. ...

Wrong again, you myopic moron.

Apparently he thinks the purpose behind learning the second grade is the same as for college. With some of those that get in college now requiring remedial classes, I can see where he would make that mistake.
The principle is the same....why should you pay for educating someone else's kid?

Not when the purpose of each isn't the same.

I shouldn't pay to educate someone else's kid. I'm not the one that produced someone else's kids. That, alone, means it's not my place to do a damn thing for them. NOTHING.
wow

Tell me why I should be the one to do for a kid what their own damn parents won't do for them. If their own parents won't do it, explain why someone that isn't their parent should be held to a higher standard.
A lot of people share your point of view, but I think it's probably a good thing for society in general that some people have a broader perspective.
John Donne explained it much better than I can:
“No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were: any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee.”
We're all on this rock together; when we help each other, I think we end up helping ourselves to a better world in the long run.

The problem is only a portion of those on the rock are helping. The rest of them are having the help handed to them for nothing. I don't owe someone else's kid college. That's their parents job. If their parents can't do it, it's not my place to do for them what their own parents won't do.

Because keeping the fire department ready and operating at all times benefits them if it's THEIR house that catches fire instead. Also, the fire in my house quite possibly might spread to theirs.

You can't work out something that doesn't exist. If it had a direct benefit, you'd say what it was. Since you don't, seems you haven't worked it out.

Take at least 1/3 of the kids currently in HS and put them on the street tomorrow. Would that result in a cost or a benefit to society, genius?

My suggestion is that if you want someone to go to college, pay their tuition out of your pocket. Only a moron believes it's his place to do something for a kid that his own parents won't do.

Apparently he thinks the purpose behind learning the second grade is the same as for college. With some of those that get in college now requiring remedial classes, I can see where he would make that mistake.
The principle is the same....why should you pay for educating someone else's kid?

I shouldn't pay to educate someone else's kid. I'm not the one that produced someone else's kids. That, alone, means it's not my place to do a damn thing for them. NOTHING.

You take the point too far. 'Free' college is a very bad idea, but if your house was burning down you'd want the fire department to come. Why should your neighbors pay to save your house?

There is more than one kind of fire.

When it comes to funding college for someone whose own parents won't do it, I'll let that fire burn.

The direct benefit to me of total strangers sitting in "Perspectives in Pop Culture" classes on my dime?

No, I'm really going to need some help here.

You are confusing college and HS. Read my original post.

My suggestion is that if you want someone to go to college, pay their tuition out of your pocket. Only a moron believes it's his place to do something for a kid that his own parents won't do.

You dropped out before learning how to read very well.

The direct benefit to me of total strangers sitting in "Perspectives in Pop Culture" classes on my dime?

You are confusing college and HS. Read my original post.

What you're confusing is thinking that both are owed to someone. I don't have a problem with funding education through the 12th grade. My problems at that level come with the federal government sticking their nose in it rather than it being run where it should be run on the state/local level. I want people to be able to read, write, do basic math, etc. in order they function in society. After that, it's their responsibility or their parents to fund it.

When it comes to funding college for someone whose own parents won't do it, I'll let that fire burn.

Are the drugs making it hard for you to concentrate?

I did? I guess that's why I have three diplomas hanging on my wall, two of which are advanced degrees.

Is your head up your entitlement minded ass reducing the oxygen level to your brain?

It would only be a cost if the government demands we take care of them. .

Don't "take care of them" at all. Would the situation laid out above ( not just what you want to imagine) result in a cost or benefit to society?

Is your head up your entitlement minded ass reducing the oxygen level to your brain?

You are really not paying attention, dopey.

I did? I guess that's why I have three diplomas hanging on my wall, two of which are advanced degrees.

And you never learned to read?

You're not only familiar with the current curriculum in every state university in America, but you also know it wouldn't change once tuitions were rolled back to where they were in the 1950s and 1960s? Remarkable.

It's remarkable that you think "free college" at those state universities is something that should exist. Just another Liberal, who doesn't have the guts to call himself a Democrat, thinking those who didn't produce the kids owe something to them their own sorry parents won't provide.

Why are you opposed to the parents of these kids funding their own kid's college? Why do you think it's the personal responsibility of someone that isn't their parent?

If you are talking about college, why is it the "responsibility" of the individual's parents? You keep making that assumption. We are presumably talking about people who are adults at that point.

Well?

You're not only familiar with the current curriculum in every state university in America, but you also know it wouldn't change once tuitions were rolled back to where they were in the 1950s and 1960s? Remarkable.

It's remarkable that you think "free college" at those state universities is something that should exist. Just another Liberal, who doesn't have the guts to call himself a Democrat, thinking those who didn't produce the kids owe something to them their own sorry parents won't provide.

Why are you opposed to the parents of these kids funding their own kid's college? Why do you think it's the personal responsibility of someone that isn't their parent?

If you are talking about college, why is it the "responsibility" of the individual's parents? You keep making that assumption. We are presumably talking about people who are adults at that point.

Well?

Didn't think you had a valid answer. Seems I was correct.

I read very well. I completely understand what you're saying. I don't think you do.

Same logic applies to second grade

Now think about that for a second.

For the reading impaired, note where I am referring to K-12 vs college.

Well?

Why are you avoiding?

I read very well. .....

Apparently not.

Well?

Why are you avoiding?

I've made it clear where I stand. You avoid answering why it's more of a responsibility of someone that isn't a parent to help pay for college than the parent.

Forum List

Back