San Francisco judges void 66,000 arrest warrants for mostly poor people (illegals?)

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
CA recently did the same with traffic crimes. Why do they have laws out there?

SF judge explains why 66,000 arrest warrants were discarded

nov 30, 2016 San Francisco’s chief judge says he and his colleagues discarded 66,000 arrest warrants issued over five years for quality-of-life crimes, like sleeping on the sidewalk, because it made no sense to lock people up for fines they couldn’t afford.

The crimes, which also include urinating on sidewalks and being drunk in public, are infractions punishable only by fines. But when those who were cited failed to show up in court, judges in the past have issued bench warrants ordering them to appear, with a sentence of five days in jail for failing to show up.

But San Francisco Superior Court judges stopped issuing the warrants a year ago and recently disposed of about 66,000 bench warrants issued since January 2011. The city’s police union and some members of the public have protested, but Presiding Judge John Stewart defended the court’s action Tuesday in a meeting with The Chronicle’s editorial board.

Stewart noted state lawmakers’ similar response after learning that 4 million Californians had seen their driver’s licenses suspended for failing to pay traffic fines, increased substantially by fees imposed by cash-strapped local courts. Gov. Jerry Brown signed an amnesty law last year for unpaid tickets issued before 2013, cutting penalties by 50 percent, or 80 percent for low-income drivers. The law also allowed drivers to regain their licenses if they signed up for the repayment program

I am so looking forward to President Trump working on this obvious unlawful action of Sanctuary Cities! I have not been this optimistic in years!

Try reading your own links ... You are lying about it being illegals...

It is the homeless people,because we have plenty due to the mega rich kicking them out of affordable homes and then building Hi Rise Apt.

San Francisco’s chief judge says he and his colleagues discarded 66,000 arrest warrants issued over five years for quality-of-life crimes, like sleeping on the sidewalk, because it made no sense to lock people up for fines they couldn’t afford.

The crimes, which also include urinating on sidewalks and being drunk in public, are infractions punishable only by fines. But when those who were cited failed to show up in court, judges in the past have issued bench warrants ordering them to appear, with a sentence of five days in jail for failing to show up.

At least someone cares for the poor people. Sure they shouldn't be pissing on the sidewalk and shit but damn.. Will just cost us more in the long run..
Maybe if we quit spending money on illegals and foreign countries, we could help our OWN.

Try reading your own links ... You are lying about it being illegals...

"The poor" is the new media euphemism for illegals. THINK

I live in this area... yes some are illegals..but most Mexicans will take a job cleaning toilets under the table rather than being homeless...

I get really angry seeing the illegals jamming up the Emergency Rooms , not paying and making our insurance crazy high..I am not for the illegals getting free stuff ..

At least someone cares for the poor people. Sure they shouldn't be pissing on the sidewalk and shit but damn.. Will just cost us more in the long run..
Maybe if we quit spending money on illegals and foreign countries, we could help our OWN.

I agree 100% Harley...I have always liked you and your ability to see through partisan lies...from both sides.

Don't you think the police have more important things to do than enforce these petty crimes. And the courts do not need to be weighed down with it.

I get really angry seeing the illegals jamming up the Emergency Rooms , not paying and making our insurance crazy high..I am not for the illegals getting free stuff ..

That's because of the infamous EMTALA Act of the 1980s which says ERs have to give treatment to ALL illegals even if they can't pay. Trump could easily neuter this law if he would announce that every hospital should notify ICE when an illegal shows up for treatment. After treatment, the illegal will be deported immediately. Then illegals would then only use ERs for emergencies - which is how it's supposed to be.

Don't you think the police have more important things to do than enforce these petty crimes. And the courts do not need to be weighed down with it.
Pissing and shitting on the sidewalks is more than petty. Very nasty diseases come from untreated sewage.

nov 30, 2016 San Francisco’s chief judge says he and his colleagues discarded 66,000 arrest warrants issued over five years for quality-of-life crimes, like sleeping on the sidewalk, because it made no sense to lock people up for fines they couldn’t afford.

But San Francisco Superior Court judges stopped issuing the warrants a year ago and recently disposed of about 66,000 bench warrants issued since January 2011. The city’s police union and some members of the public have protested, but Presiding Judge John Stewart defended the court’s action Tuesday in a meeting with The Chronicle’s editorial board.

Most of the warrants were against homeless people- which is rarely undocumented- and

Most of the homeless in San Francisco are white and black- very few are Asian or Latino.

Stewart noted state lawmakers’ similar response after learning that 4 million Californians had seen their driver’s licenses suspended for failing to pay traffic fines, increased substantially by fees imposed by cash-strapped local courts. Gov. Jerry Brown signed an amnesty law last year for unpaid tickets issued before 2013, cutting penalties by 50 percent, or 80 percent for low-income drivers. The law also allowed drivers to regain their licenses if they signed up for the repayment program

San Francisco’s chief judge says he and his colleagues discarded 66,000 arrest warrants issued over five years for quality-of-life crimes, like sleeping on the sidewalk, because it made no sense to lock people up for fines they couldn’t afford.

“You’re putting somebody in jail because they’re poor and can’t pay a fine,” he said. “We got a lot of criticism, but we thought it was the right thing to do.”

And it's too expensive to do this.

I've never been to California. Thank you for letting me know what it is that I am not missing out on. :) :) :)

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

No problem Holly- we don't really miss you much. Our lovely city is too busy with tourists who want to be here to miss those who are scared by San Francisco.

Forum List

Back