San Diego County officials shut down home Bible study

I don't think we get the whole story from this small news article. There are so many other issues to keep in mind. My home does not have the parking for 10 to 15 other people. How many more cars is that? We are all tolerant for the occasional Tupperware party or Birthday Party but not for someone to have that many cars every week. My neighbors would not be happy with the incovience every week. No matter what kind of meeting it is.

I am also wondering about tax exempt status on their home. If you are holding weekly religious meetings on your property does that make it a place of worship? Are you one day not going to be paying taxes on that property?

If the husband is a pastor then save all your neighbors the hassle and meet at his church. I

My understanding is that to be tax-exempt, it has to be the primary use of that building. Since that building is primarily a house, and only used for a Bible study once a week, it wouldn't qualify.

Lets see we've got fifteen or sixteen people max at our Bible study. That's maybe seven cars usually less. If you can hear what we're saying our host needs to have his place swept for listening devices.

The bunco party my wife attended usually had about 20 to 25 people and half again as many cars.

I don't think we get the whole story from this small news article. There are so many other issues to keep in mind. My home does not have the parking for 10 to 15 other people. How many more cars is that? We are all tolerant for the occasional Tupperware party or Birthday Party but not for someone to have that many cars every week. My neighbors would not be happy with the incovience every week. No matter what kind of meeting it is.

I am also wondering about tax exempt status on their home. If you are holding weekly religious meetings on your property does that make it a place of worship? Are you one day not going to be paying taxes on that property?

If the husband is a pastor then save all your neighbors the hassle and meet at his church. I

that's what I think too.

In spite of the hand wringing from the drama queens, this article simply didn't provide enough information, and merely reported one side.

If somebody was clogging up the public street by my house with 15 cars once a week, I might get a little pissed too and call the county. If it was every now and then, I wouldn't care. But clogging up the public street once a week?

How come you lefty drones can jump to conclusions about a kid getting tasered by cops but you suddenly put your skeptical hats on when it's not your ox being gored?

The neighbors did not complain, after a long time.

You cons act like you know all the details of what transpired, based on a three paragraph newspaper article that only reported what the one dude said.

You keep making claims and assertions that you know exactly what happened, even though you don’t know all the details.

I’m saying I don’t know all the information. I don’t know anything about the neighborhood, or the parking situation. On my street, there’s barely any room for parking, my neighbors would probably get pissed at the inconvenience if somebody had ten cars come to their house once a week and clog up the street. I don’t know if that’s what happened here, but unlike you I’m fully willing to admit there’s not enough information in this story to know what went down.

If we have to guess and speculate, what seems more likely to you?

That a city government is on a bizarre vendetta to shut down Christian prayer groups?

Or that neighbors complained that their public street was being clogged up with cars once a week by people who didn't live there?

The meetings had gone on for some time. Neighbors did not complain. The person who complained had been visiting someone else.

This is in the story.

I read this story earlier.. How did the state know there was bible study going on in there??

and if true,, communism here we come.
it might be because they complaints about parking issues and access by their neighbors.

Wallar said the county received a complaint regarding parking, and they were obligated to investigate.

The complaint alleged that "cars were blocking access for themselves and for public safety" said Wallar. "The staff believed there were traffic issues...There were violations, principally due to the parking, and it appeared the use of the property was a religious assembly."

Wallar believes there is a "miscommunication" here; often, she said, people who are cited for the first time take it "personally". "They focused on the 'use' because they really didn't understand our process."

She wants to work with the Jones family on solutions to the parking problems including carpooling, parking down the street, or having bible study members rotate their homes.

"I want to say in the most direct terms: the County has never tried to stifle religious expression and never will," said County CAO Ekard.

Bible Group Says the County is Illegally Restricting Worship - San Diego 6

yes they have a right to their bible study but their neighbors have a right to access their driveways and a right to proper safety.

I read this story earlier.. How did the state know there was bible study going on in there??

it might be because they complaints about parking issues and access by their neighbors.

Wallar said the county received a complaint regarding parking, and they were obligated to investigate.

The complaint alleged that "cars were blocking access for themselves and for public safety" said Wallar. "The staff believed there were traffic issues...There were violations, principally due to the parking, and it appeared the use of the property was a religious assembly."

Wallar believes there is a "miscommunication" here; often, she said, people who are cited for the first time take it "personally". "They focused on the 'use' because they really didn't understand our process."

She wants to work with the Jones family on solutions to the parking problems including carpooling, parking down the street, or having bible study members rotate their homes.

"I want to say in the most direct terms: the County has never tried to stifle religious expression and never will," said County CAO Ekard.

yes they have a right to their bible study but their neighbors have a right to access their driveways and a right to proper safety.

there's the money quote in bold.

there you have it. A bunch of necons were handwringing and whining about nonsense.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that is was more likely a parking and access issue, than a city government trying to take down christian prayer groups :lol:

thanks for the laugh Wingnust! time to change your diapers, you dropped a load over nothing! :clap2:

there you have it. A bunch of necons were handwringing and whining about nonsense.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that is was more likely a parking and access issue, than a city government trying to take down christian prayer groups :lol:

thanks for the laugh Wingnust! time to change your diapers, you dropped a load over nothing! :clap2:
yeah but they have to become outraged about something new this week, whatever it was last week is old news.

Um ... even in the article it points out that it isn't about the "bible study" but about city regulations.

Broyles said, "The county asked, 'Do you have a regular meeting in your home?' She said, 'Yes.' 'Do you say amen?' 'Yes.' 'Do you pray?' 'Yes.' 'Do you say praise the Lord?' 'Yes.'"

I think it's pretty clear that this is about "bible study". Otherwise, why all the religious questions? If it was just about 15 people congregating in a home once a week, they wouldn't have needed to has, "do you pray, do you say amen, do you praise the Lord?????"

Instead, it would have been, "you have 15 cars out here every week and the neighbors are complaining, you must have a permit."

I disagree...

Broyles said, "The county asked, 'Do you have a regular meeting in your home?' She said, 'Yes.' 'Do you say amen?' 'Yes.' 'Do you pray?' 'Yes.' 'Do you say praise the Lord?' 'Yes.'"

If this was about parking, they would have said "you have 15 cars here and the neighbors are complaining, you need a permit". They wouldn't have asked "Do you pray?" It wouldn't have mattered.

yeah but they have to become outraged about something new this week, whatever it was last week is old news.

I think KY-Man got this link off Drudge, or something.

And even though any reasonable person can now see it was a parking issue, and not a devious city plan to shut down prayer groups, cons were trained like chimapanzees to see this is a government plot against christians.

Its what half educated rubes do.

Of course, we will never see them admit they pooped their diapers over what amounted to a city ordinance regulation. Believe me, they've got their story, and they're sticking with it! :lol:

I disagree...

If this was about parking, they would have said "you have 15 cars here and the neighbors are complaining, you need a permit". They wouldn't have asked "Do you pray?" It wouldn't have mattered.

"Major use permits are often given to churches, synagogues and other places of gathering. They take into account traffic concerns, engineering issues, architecture considerations and more. The main purpose is to assess the feasibility of large gatherings occurring at a particular location.

Dave Jones knew a great deal about major use permits since he got one for the nearby church he serves as Pastor."

From the same link which also mentioned that some dented the neighbors car. If you don't follow the rules you should have to pay a fine or buy a permit.

I disagree...

"Major use permits are often given to churches, synagogues and other places of gathering. They take into account traffic concerns, engineering issues, architecture considerations and more. The main purpose is to assess the feasibility of large gatherings occurring at a particular location.

Dave Jones knew a great deal about major use permits since he got one for the nearby church he serves as Pastor."

From the same link which also mentioned that some dented the neighbors car. If you don't follow the rules you should have to pay a fine or buy a permit.

Like I said, then way ask "do you pray?" It would have been, "You have too many cars out here, you need a permit" and they wouldn't have mentioned religion, prayer or God at all.

I disagree...

Like I said, then way ask "do you pray?" It would have been, "You have too many cars out here, you need a permit" and they wouldn't have mentioned religion, prayer or God at all.

um, just admit you Wingnuts had a heart attack and fainted over what amounted to being a non-story. A story about city parking regulations. It wasn't a plot to shut down prayer groups. GOD, you all are as bad as the crack pot 9/11 conspiracy theorists.

um, just admit you Wingnuts had a heart attack and fainted over what amounted to being a non-story. A story about city parking regulations. It wasn't a plot to shut down prayer groups. GOD, you all are as bad as the crack pot 9/11 conspiracy theorists.

Number one, I'm not a wingnut. Number two, if this was about parking, WHY ask about prayer or religion at all??????

Answer the question, please.

I think KY-Man got this link off Drudge, or something.

And even though any reasonable person can now see it was a parking issue, and not a devious city plan to shut down prayer groups, cons were trained like chimapanzees to see this is a government plot against christians.

Its what half educated rubes do.

Of course, we will never see them admit they pooped their diapers over what amounted to a city ordinance regulation. Believe me, they've got their story, and they're sticking with it! :lol:

care for a banana, bonzo?
could you be a little neater?
you're dripping irony all over the other posts.

Forum List

Back